East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby Christi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi!
I just joined this site and found this group.

I'm trying to learn Korean and made a log for it, https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7574. Sorry for the long link, couldn't figure out how to post an embedded link :oops: I already posted two replies there but I think they might need to be approved first since they haven't shown up yet.

I'm still a newbie learner and right now am mostly trying to figure out how to turn vocab and grammar knowledge into active knowledge. Has anyone got any tips for me?

Also, something I just thought of; on Reddit there's a post where people answer a question in their target language. Maybe this could be an idea for this group too?
2 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 pm

Christi wrote:Hi!
I just joined this site and found this group.

I'm trying to learn Korean and made a log for it, https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7574. Sorry for the long link, couldn't figure out how to post an embedded link :oops: I already posted two replies there but I think they might need to be approved first since they haven't shown up yet.

I'm still a newbie learner and right now am mostly trying to figure out how to turn vocab and grammar knowledge into active knowledge. Has anyone got any tips for me?

Also, something I just thought of; on Reddit there's a post where people answer a question in their target language. Maybe this could be an idea for this group too?

Hello there, and welcome to the forum! :D I am a fan of Anki cards, and you can read about how I use them on my log (there's a link under my avatar, or picture). I would also try practice speaking and writing to make new concepts move from passive to active knowledge.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:46 pm

ロータス wrote:
Christi wrote:Hi!

Vocab and grammar will only become active when you use them. Writing every day might help you. Would you like to join this group?

"on Reddit there's a post where people answer a question in their target language." What do you mean by this? Like a writing prompt thing? Like "What is you favorite memory while learning you target language (Answer in target language)"?

Yes, I meant writing prompts. A new question gets posted every week and I think most responses (on that subreddit) seem to get a bit of a dialogue going. I'm not sure if the layout of this group would work out but you'd know better than I.
I actually tried blogging in Korean but it just took so much time...I think I should continue it but try to write shorter posts.

I'd like to join the group. Could try to increase my vocabulary for this month and the next. I think reading books is definitely too difficult for me at the moment. I think I could try to aim for 100 new words in one month. Let's see how it goes :)
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:03 pm

ロータス wrote:Instead of jumping right into blogging, try Twitter.

You mean posting status updates or replying to some Korean celebs? Do you know of any celebs with interesting tweets?
0 x

Laskeph
White Belt
Languages: English (native), Cantonese (heritage, not fluent)
Actively Studying: Mandarin Chinese (upper intermediate), Japanese (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7571

Postby Laskeph » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:50 pm

I'd like to join for Mandarin and Japanese!

Unfortunately I'm a bit too late for the January Challenge. I guess I'll check back next month :)
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt

Postby Christi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 am

ロータス wrote:January challenge almost over.

Goal: none
Completed: 438 words

Nice that I have stats on words I actually know and not just seen in an SRS. I guess I will buy CTA even tho I hate that if I'm not sure on a word, I have to look it up outside of CTA or else I lose that word as being 'Known' >_> Really stupid feature when Mandarin has so many words with so many meanings.

When I joined this group two weeks ago I said I wanted to learn 100 words in one month. But in just these two weeks I have already learned 113 new words! I can recognize all of them, using them actively is more difficult but I'm working on it :) But I managed to find myself a language exchange partner so hopefully I will get to activate these words more.
2 x

Finolia
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (B2), Spanish (A2), Vietnamese (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7587

Postby Finolia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:40 pm

January challenge: 103/100 words

Although I can't say that I can really use all of them actively I am satisfied :) 103 words less that keep me from reading without stumbling ;)
3 x
Please feel free to correct whatever I write :P

Elementary Vietnamese: 8 / 14

Nandemonai
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch/Flemish (N), English (fluent), Japanese (fluent)
Actively studying: Mandarin (intermediate), German (beginner)
On break: Korean (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1684

Postby Nandemonai » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 am

113 new cards in January, a little over my goal of 100. Nothing too crazy but better than nothing =)
2 x

aledda
Yellow Belt
Languages: Español (N)
English (C2), Português (C2)

Studying now: 日本語 (N4->N3), 한국어 (beginner)

Dabbling: Italiano (beginner), Deutsch (beginner)

On the waiting list: 普通话 (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5561

Postby aledda » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:48 pm

I thought I've already posted here, but apparently not.

My main focus for now is Japanese but I used to study Mandarin (which I have to pick up again) and I'm "beginning" with Korean.
My log is here (I started it last year, but I barely updated it.)

I'll try to participate in the future challenges
2 x
Please, feel free to correct any mistakes.

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:34 am

Cebuano (Austronesian; malayo/polynesian language of the Philippines with around 20 million speakers but not many learning resources).

I have been speaking it most days, but not actively learning for a year (university course on Spanish and technical study for work took priority).

First week back learning:-

Memrise - 1500 sentences - I get about 1 in 50 wrong - so very happy with that.

I've read 65 pages of a language guide / grammar written by Mormons. 65 pages remain.

I've had 3 sessions with a tutor over skype.

Repeated from my blog with minor edits - I'm thinking that some of the Listening-Reading should be intense study of the text. Sentence construction, pronounciation, prosody, intonation, ways in which verbs are conjugated and whether this is modern colloquial usage or old style.

Good:
pronunciation (this was a worry until recently)
clear / understandable
accurate
speed
wide and deep vocabulary

Needs Work:
conjugating verbs
other affixes
sentences
prepositions
various

Next steps:
work towards long sentences
prepositions
various
verbs that look like nouns(?)

Subjects:
learning - how, what, why
how children develop

Goals:
To speak colloquial Cebuano at home and on holiday in July. Ruled out formal Bisaya.

Method (tutor):
Not quite sure yet - next session.

Method (overall / comprehensive):

Memrise / quizlet / ankidroid are good fill ins (no need to concentrate, even do while watching TV). I haven't updated the memrise app so that I can still use it without wifi (phone data).

L-R - some ability to concentrate, but can pause it.

Grammar / language guide takes real effort and quiet.

Tutor - need to dedicate time - hard with work and other commitments.

1) finish guide (65 pages)
2) Memrise / quizlet / ankidroid etc Cebuano expressions
3) I have magbinisaya kita primer 1. Skim/read it. A5 160+ pages especially grammar review page 111
4) repeat 2 a bit
5) MODERN-ish bible gospels (need to check order but I think Mark, Luke, Matthew). Perhaps just a few pages. This WRITTEN bible is 1970s translation and closer to modern usage. Previous version I used for listening-reading befuddled native Cebuano speakers.
6) l-r old Bible app. Language seems archaic but I have the audio/text linked. Best bet for listening / pronounciation practice.
Now more developed an idea...
i) Read English (1) - R1
ii) Listen Ceb-Old (2a) + Read Ceb-Old (2a) - L2a+R2a
iii) Listen Ceb-Old (2a) + Read English (1) - L2a+R1
iv) Read Ceb-New (2b) + Speak Ceb-New (2b) out loud - S2b
v) Write - anything in Cebuano - notes, words, anything - W2
vi) Speak out notes - S2
vii) Write Ceb-New - copy by hand, highlight interesting (for later lookups) - W2b

7) other media (Wikipedia, Duterte tv from when he was mayor)
8) Look at written notes and spot patterns, look up info
9) repeat / complete all above while having Skype sessions from a tutor.

0 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

Return to “Study Groups”