Strictly German

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Strictly German

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:59 am

Hi everyone (especially Luso and Josquin!). I don't know if you remember me.

I used to be a member of HTLAL but for several reasons decided to quit. I couldn't stay long away from languages or this community though.

Where I left things was a terrible wonderlust and no real achievements. Although the old craving to learn everything all at once is still there, I am going to tame it. I decided to learn German, end of story.

My goals will be humble and based on books. One at a time, with the exception of grammars and dictionaries of course. I will use Assimil, and see what happens this time.

My life is hectic right now, but I'll do my best.

I have also decided to brush up my Greek, starting with koine Greek and working my way backwards, but that's a different story. I'll share it if you like.
12 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)

Re: Strictly German

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 am

Resources

Assimil - Deutsch ohne Mühe 1950
Assimil German With Ease

I'll be studying each lesson from both books at the same time, untill I decide which one to follow (maybe I'll stick with both after all). I can't play the old I-can't-decide-which game, because it costs time and energy, not to mention it never gets me started with anything.

------------------------------------------------------

Goals

To finish the course. Simple as that. I assume if I do a right job, my german knowledge will be adequate for going to real german texts...

which is my ultimate goal. At that level I'll change my studying books and methods of course, and go deeper in the language.

As for verbal skills and actual communication, assimil will take care of those I hope!

------------------------------------------------------

Added work

Films, documentaries, TV in German, even if I don't understand at first. English books/documentaries on culture etc., to get my motivation going.
3 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Welcome back! Sometimes you need a break. :)

I'm curious about your Koine and ancient Greek study. I figured if I ever study ancient Greek, I would also start with Koine.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:11 pm

First I will use a couple of New Testament Greek manuals read in parallel, in order to get a nice review and cover any gaps of knowledge. I’ll study several authentic texts after that, for the fun of it! There are plenty of texts using more or less that language, mostly the New Testament I guess, but also many others. There is amazing poetry in old texts. I’ll share some of my studies if anyone is interested. Translations in English, that sort of thing. I do want to practice my English after all! (If I am ever able to translate Greek into German, I’ll be delighted.)

Then gradually I’ll work my way back through texts, and using some of the many books on classical Greek I already have (legacy of my schooldays and lifelong interest). I don’t know when this will happen though.

This is a very relaxed plan. I just want to remember, learn and have fun while reading beautiful poetry and prose. I intend to have fun and not stress at all! I’ll have enough stress with German…

Koine is wonderful, a real link between classical and modern Greek.

Good luck with your studies!
2 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:43 am

I started my German studying and added a progress bar, which seems so convenient to keep track of things.

Not much to report, just the first chapters of the two books. Quite similar but not identical. Easy up to this point.
0 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:43 am

Second chapters, done. Different content, this time.

So far I like this parallel study, but of course it's too soon to tell if I'll keep it up. I keep thinking it would be worth it keeping it up, as it is clearly to my benefit. On the one hand I get more knowledge, on the other I get more repetition. Which, as we all know, is the mother of all knowledge. Or, for the Greek learning members out there:
Ἐπανάληψις μήτηρ πάσης μαθήσεώς ἐστιν. Yes, it's an actual saying...

I have a motivation problem with German. Don't get me wrong: I find it fascinating, I like it a lot, I really want to learn it. And yet, of all the languages that have interested me, it's the one that can't seem to call me and say "study me..." It has been like that from the beginning, that's why I stopped studying it altogether and lost even the few German I had some years ago.

Heute bin ich müde aufgewacht. I had to look up the last word, but I did remember that bin should be second word. :D
I'll try to produce sentences from the beginning. It actually helps with the motivation issues, because I like writing.

I'll throw in the study (in due course) some lists of words from other books. I also have a picture dictionary. I'll do extra work with the vocabulary because Assimil goes only so far, and because I have a hard time remembering German words. It's an extra effort for me, so the more I study the better.

Don't think I have a real plan though, other than follow Assimil, learn extra words and persist, against my own lazy disposition. For the beginning it will have to do.
5 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:01 am

A favourite song in two languages and three singers.

0 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:52 am

Third lessons done.

They are really getting different now. I feel they are both going down helpful and interesting roads, so I am not ready to give up one yet.

Has anyone else studied two Assimil versions at once? I could use someone else's experience on this.

It seems like a big task, but the lessons are brief so it is still less work than I imagined.

My big problem with German is that I have difficulty remembering words. I have no point of reference apparently, or is it my memory failing me? I don't know. I hope that in time this problem will solve itself, after I know enough to make connections in my head. But so far it's real effort with unclear results: will my efforts work, I don't know.

With German I have this feeling I am wiilingly falling down a rabbit hole. With other languages, such as Italian or Turkish for example, all I want is to communicate with people, read well enough etc. Even my beloved French haven't given me scholarly ambitions. But with German I am developping a real desire to learn it in more profound ways. It is certainly a language that demands time and struggle, not easy at all. But very rewarding it seems to me.

Ich bin hier oft!
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 am

Welcome back renaissancemedici! Of course I remember you from HTLAL - you used to be quite active for a while and I remember you helping me out with Greek when I was trying to learn it. (It is still on my list but not really a priority right now.)

Good luck with your German studies. I understand it is your first Germanic language (apart from English of course, but English is half-Romance, at least when it comes to vocabulary), so I appreciate that you may find it difficult. Just don't give up, once you get to know it, you'll find a very rich and beautiful language and a gateway to a great culture.
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Welcome back, renaissancemedici! I'll be following along and wish you the best of luck in your German studies. You might want to have a look at s_allard's new German Experiment log: German B2 next for s_allard. There might be some tips for you there.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”