Dutch Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2), German (A1), Spanish (A1), Esperanto (A1), Mandarin (beginner)

Re: Dutch Study Group

Postby tommus » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:49 am

Here is the fifth article about Nene, the little girl from Hungary who was adopted in the Netherlands to Italian/Dutch parents. She seems to be on her way to becoming quadrilingual.
Nene is zes jaar oud en nu ongeveer 10 maanden in Nederland
1 x
Dutch
40 Boeken
● 35 Ned. Videos
● 370 Univ-Nederland
: 25 / 40
: 35 / 35
: 180 / 370
● 730 Video Nieuws
● 104 Skype NL Chats
● 730 Tekst Nieuws
: 730 / 730
: 82 / 104

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2), German (A1), Spanish (A1), Esperanto (A1), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby tommus » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Tellen, turven en toetsen.

This combination of these three Dutch words showed up in my reading. It took me a long time to make any sense out of them as a group. They seem to be used in schools in relation to teaching math. As far as I can determine, turven, which literally means "to turf", means tally. Tally is a common English word to mean count up, such as a score. But turven seems to more directly mean a method of tallying that we all use and that is putting a line through four vertical lines to mean five. I II IIII IIII. The Dutch and English Wikipedia pages are very interesting.

Dutch turven

English tally

That led me to the use of turven in an unusual sport that I have never heard of that is played mainly in Flanders in Belgium; Vinkensport. You've got to read this to believe it.

Vinkensport (Dutch)

Vinkensport (English)
2 x
Dutch
40 Boeken
● 35 Ned. Videos
● 370 Univ-Nederland
● 730 Video Nieuws
● 104 Skype NL Chats
● 730 Tekst Nieuws

chove
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (upper intermediate), German (low intermediate), Polish (basic), Dutch (on hold), French (just started).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9355

Postby chove » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:48 am

tommus wrote:Here is the fifth article about Nene, the little girl from Hungary who was adopted in the Netherlands to Italian/Dutch parents. She seems to be on her way to becoming quadrilingual.
Nene is zes jaar oud en nu ongeveer 10 maanden in Nederland

I could read most of that, which surprised me! I know a tiny bit of Dutch and a bigger bit of German. Dutch is the language I am Officially Not Learning in that I sort of *am* learning it but I don't want to admit that because I have too many languages already. But I love how it sounds.
2 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:53 pm

Here is the sixth article about Nene, the little 6-year old girl from Hungary. She seems to be making great progress in Dutch. Interesting how her new parents are teaching her their languages during this self-isolation time.

Drie stukjes in speelgoeddoos
0 x
Dutch
40 Boeken
● 35 Ned. Videos
● 370 Univ-Nederland
● 730 Video Nieuws
● 104 Skype NL Chats
● 730 Tekst Nieuws

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Wed May 20, 2020 11:45 am

Now the seventh article about Nene, this time with photos of her and her new parents. And she is learning the Dutch "rrrrr".

Nene is six and has now been in the Netherlands for exactly a year.

Nene is zes en nu vrijwel precies een jaar in Nederland.
0 x
Dutch
40 Boeken
● 35 Ned. Videos
● 370 Univ-Nederland
● 730 Video Nieuws
● 104 Skype NL Chats
● 730 Tekst Nieuws

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:36 am

I often come across Dutch words ending with "-zinnig", which basically means that it has the quality of the first part. Not so difficult. One of the common ones is dolzinnig meaning crazy or insane. But I wondered just how many -zinnig Dutch words there are, and if you can pretty much add -zinnig to a lot of words and it might not be a real word but it would be understood. And I think that would be the case.

But I wondered also what are the most common -zinnig words. I found out that it is not easy on the Internet to search for parts of words. In many applications, you can use a wild card search such as *zinnig and get a list of matches. But Google and most search engines do not support such searches within words. But I did find one very useful search site that does, and it is a multi-language dictionary.

https://www.wordsense.eu/

You can search with a dash, like -zinnig. So WordSense.eu provided five such Dutch words. It defines -zinnig as "endowed with the quality of the stem (used to form adjectives)".

I then did more searches and overall managed to find over 20 such words. Dutch learners may find them useful. Dutch natives might wish to comment or add some more common -zinnig words.

Code: Select all

diepzinnig   profound, deep
dolzinnig   crazy, mad, insane
dubbelzinnig   ambiguous, uncertain
eigenzinnig   quirky, stubborn
fijnzinnig   delicate, subtle
geheimzinnig   mysterious, secretive
kloekzinnig   crazy, screwed-up, prodigious
krankzinnig   insane, crazy, mad
kunstzinnig   artistic, artful
lichtzinnig   frivolous, rash, light-headed
loszinnig   loose, lax
ondubbelzinnig   unambiguous, unequivocally
onrechtzinnig   unjust, irrevelent
onzinnig   nonsensical, absurd, ridiculous, inept
rechtzinnig   orthodox, upright, sincere, straightforward
scherpzinnig   sharp, astute, smart, clever, astute
stijfzinnig   stiff, rigid, starchy
stompzinnig   stupid, idiotic
uitzinnig   outrageous, frenzied, delirious, crazy
vrijzinnig   free-spirited, liberal-minded, broad-minded
waanzinnig   crazy, insane, amazing, mad
zachtzinnig   gentle, softhearted, meek
zinnig   sensible, useful, meaningful
3 x
Dutch
40 Boeken
● 35 Ned. Videos
● 370 Univ-Nederland
● 730 Video Nieuws
● 104 Skype NL Chats
● 730 Tekst Nieuws

Legolas
Languages: English, complicated

Postby Legolas » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi, friends!

Can you please help me. There is no Answer Key in Intensive Dutch Course, even though we expected to find it there, as it is mentioned at Routledge website at Table Of Contents. We cannot learn it without it. They didn't put it on their website either.
0 x

HillMilly
Languages: Dutch, English, Japanese, Chinese

Postby HillMilly » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Wat leuk dat mensen Nederlands leren.
Ik zal proberen te helpen.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”