Dutch Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Dutch Study Group

Postby Le Baron » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:42 pm

jayjaynowayson wrote:Hi everyone, anyone ever tried this book (Harrap's méthode intégrale néerlandais 2 CD + livre)?

I just finished the Assimil "La Pratique du Néerlandais" (Louis Verlee) and I really like it. I am looking for similar things. I do have a version of the assimil 'Le Néerlandais des affaires', but I still did not study it. Any suggestions?

I've never seen or heard of it before, but it seems to claim it is for reaching C1 level. If you don't find it costly maybe it's worth a try. 2 CDs probably doesn't have much material, but by the B2=-C1 stage most learners are using native materials anyway I suppose.
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Sesquiglot
Languages: French (C1), German (B2), Italian (B1), Dutch (A2).

Postby Sesquiglot » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:26 am

I am studying Dutch because I am a belgophile and I enjoy speaking to people in Flanders. I am entering for B1 in May 2024. I have ordered Routledge Colloquial 2. Does anyone know how it relates to the CEFR levels?
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:37 pm

Sesquiglot wrote:I am studying Dutch because I am a belgophile and I enjoy speaking to people in Flanders. I am entering for B1 in May 2024. I have ordered Routledge Colloquial 2. Does anyone know how it relates to the CEFR levels?

In the same way every course does since the formulation of those guidelines I expect. It doesn't appear to be geared towards any known exam, it's just a course.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:08 am

Sesquiglot wrote:I am studying Dutch because I am a belgophile and I enjoy speaking to people in Flanders. I am entering for B1 in May 2024. I have ordered Routledge Colloquial 2. Does anyone know how it relates to the CEFR levels?

I'd say it's at a higher level than A2, but not solely enough to get you to B1.
0 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:35 pm

A video with a correct subtitle file. Interesting subject, since I also have sleep problems. Here are some bits I picked out during watching:

gelikt uitzien = to look slick
indommelen (je dommelt in) = to doze off (you doze off)
inlassen = insert (here: set aside time for)
de druk van de ketel halen = release the pressure from the boiler

3 x
- Jonathan Swift

Klara
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1),
B-ish: French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Italian
A-ish: Russian, Swedish, Latin, Polish, Portuguese

Postby Klara » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:28 am

There is a free audiobook with epub-file on luisterrijk.nl

https://www.luisterrijk.nl/luisterboek/9789490938994/schipbreuk

The crime story is only 57 minutes long and can therefore be used for intensive reading or listening.

You don't need their app, you can also just download the files on your computer.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:55 pm

I was going to drop this video in that other discussion on the main board, where the uneasy status of Vlaams/French in Brussels turned up. However I don't want to bore the general members. I spent a fair amount of time in Brussels when I lived in Belgium, never lived there though. The conclusion of the two Dutch people in the video tallies with my experience. At the time I moved from south to north my Dutch was pretty weak, so using French was a relief for me. Nevertheless... because I was learning the language I was very interested in how much Vlaams there was on the street.

Noteworthy in this video is what the fellow with the cast on his arm says about the police/authorities. I've seen this, where the police moved on noisy drunken Flemish revellers and couldn't speak the language, only one of them had a basic level. That's not really on. That little discussion is also a good example of the general sound and cadence of NL Dutch and Flemish and word choices. Note that the older guy says (from about 6:30) '...dat ik blijf m'n taal nooit verloochenen...' The word exists in NL, but casually you'd be more likely to expect to hear 'ontkennen' or maybe 'verwerpen'.

2 x
- Jonathan Swift

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:05 am

Le Baron wrote:I was going to drop this video in that other discussion on the main board, where the uneasy status of Vlaams/French in Brussels turned up. However I don't want to bore the general members. I spent a fair amount of time in Brussels when I lived in Belgium, never lived there though. The conclusion of the two Dutch people in the video tallies with my experience. At the time I moved from south to north my Dutch was pretty weak, so using French was a relief for me. Nevertheless... because I was learning the language I was very interested in how much Vlaams there was on the street.

Impossible...
Le Baron wrote:

Well, I shall be visiting Brussels in two weeks, so hopefully I'll get a chance to test this myself...
1 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:58 am

Oh, I have video evidence on a trip up to Antwerp. The missus filmed us on the train. I cringe when I see it. :lol:
Ug_Caveman wrote:Well, I shall be visiting Brussels in two weeks, so hopefully I'll get a chance to test this myself...

Report your findings here!
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:20 pm

Just curious, has anyone here had experience with Ter Zake by L. Bekkers and S. Mennen (published by Intertaal)?
851x1200.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”