Dutch Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Klara
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1),
B-ish: French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Italian
A-ish: Russian, Swedish, Latin, Polish, Portuguese

Re: Dutch Study Group

Postby Klara » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:30 am

Le Baron wrote:After all we know you can't even say 'tomorrow morning' without 'ochtend' or it sounds absurd!

In German 'tomorrow morning' is 'morgen früh' and therefore I'd say 'morgenvroeg' in Dutch :lol: . I looked it up in the dictionary and there is indeed a corresponding entry.

And 'opbellen' also sounds normal to me - in German 'anrufen'. But my knowledge is mainly based on reading Dutch crime novels, history books, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, watching Dutch series and being a German native. ;)
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:03 am

Klara wrote:
Le Baron wrote:After all we know you can't even say 'tomorrow morning' without 'ochtend' or it sounds absurd!

In German 'tomorrow morning' is 'morgen früh' and therefore I'd say 'morgenvroeg' in Dutch :lol: . I looked it up in the dictionary and there is indeed a corresponding entry.

And 'opbellen' also sounds normal to me - in German 'anrufen'. But my knowledge is mainly based on reading Dutch crime novels, history books, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, watching Dutch series and being a German native. ;)

I got halfway into your first sentence and thought ...'wait! morgen vroeg actually exists!!' And indeed you found it. It's also common.

A question though. Opbellen is normal and used all the time, though the op falls away in some constructions. It also turns up as a relic of a separable verb in English - e.g. I'll ring him up later on. When the op falls away in Dutch you only have belde/gebeld. Does this happen in German or never? Is it always anrufen/angerufen/rief an or is just gerufen possible in informal speech? As e.g: hast du ihn gerufen?
1 x

Klara
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1),
B-ish: French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Italian
A-ish: Russian, Swedish, Latin, Polish, Portuguese

Postby Klara » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:00 pm

Le Baron wrote:A question though. Opbellen is normal and used all the time, though the op falls away in some constructions. It also turns up as a relic of a separable verb in English - e.g. I'll ring him up later on. When the op falls away in Dutch you only have belde/gebeld. Does this happen in German or never? Is it always anrufen/angerufen/rief an or is just gerufen possible in informal speech? As e.g: hast du ihn gerufen?

In German it is always anrufen (formal and informal), the word rufen means roepen in Dutch. And the Dutch oproepen is definitely not the German anrufen but more like aufrufen. :)
0 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:40 am

What is the grammar explanation for this:

Waarom is ze nou gaan fietsen in de regen? Waarom is ze niet met de bus gegaan?
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:40 am

einzelne wrote:What is the grammar explanation for this:

Are you talking about vervangende infinitief?
2 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:48 am

Another comment about Nene learning Dutch. But this article is all about the pronunciation (or not) of the final 'n' in Dutch words. Not pronouncing these final 'n's is one of my major challenges in speaking Dutch.

het gebruik van de slot-n (the use of the closing-n)
2 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:33 pm

Well, if the rule is to not pronounce the final n, that would be simple and straightforward. But it seems that one sometimes pronounce them allthough normally not. That's confusing. Well I think you'll be understood anyway.
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:00 pm

tungemål wrote:Well, if the rule is to not pronounce the final n, that would be simple and straightforward.

However, as a native English speaker (and probably the same for other languages), it is difficult to not pronounce that final 'n', especially in short words. It seems that you should pronounce the 'n' to make the word a bit more understandable. But as you say, you can do either. But in normal Dutch speech, it is mostly not pronounced, except for people making a deliberate speech or reading a text.
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:33 am

The continuing story of Nene, the young Hungarian girl who now lives in the Netherlands. She has forgotten most of her Hungarian, has learned Dutch, and is now learning English. All the earlier articles about her are posted in the Dutch Study Group. Here is the latest one.

Nene leert Engels
1 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:34 pm

Working through the supplementary materials for the Linguaphone course has thrown this particular confusion at me:

Person A - Wat wil je er kopen?
Person B - O, een jurk en een blosje.
Person A - Heb je ook en trui nodig?
Person B - Nee, die zijn nu te duur.

I don't understand why the form of 'zijn' in the last sentence is as if 'een trui' is plural? Am I missing something obvious :?:
0 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Return to “Study Groups”