Dutch Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Re: Dutch Study Group

Postby Ug_Caveman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:26 am

So I've gone for it and entered the CNaVT A2 exam, figured I had to get on the ladder at some point and (even if it goes wrong) it's a valuable learning experience for someone who hasn't sat an MFL exam since they were 16.

If anyone has any tips or advice on how to prepare it would be much appreciated :)
1 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Faust
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Faust » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:15 am

I was hoping for some thoughts on the best first Dutch course(s) based on the small collection at my local library.

There are two books from Henry R. Stern (201 Dutch Verbs and Essential Dutch Grammar).

In terms of courses with audio, they have:
Spoken World: Dutch
Prisma Dutch for Self Study
Hippocrene Beginner's Dutch
Assimil: Dutch With Ease

There is not a ton of info on these, but it seems the Spoken World course is well regarded.

Question on the Dutch With Ease course. The other three seem to be clear they are Dutch pronunciation, but this course has the Belgian flag on the cover as well. Can someone confirm if this pronunciation is Dutch or Flemish?

Lesson 22: Een pakje voor mevrouw: https://sndup.net/69k5
Lesson 62: Weer een betje humor: https://www.sndup.net/6dn2

The Prisma Course seems to have no info out there about it. The introduction notes it teaches the most common 1,000 Dutch words, and I'd say from flipping through that it seems the most comprehensive in terms of drills/exercises. So I think it may be a bit heavy to do first. However, if anyone has experience with it, I'd love to hear.

If the pronunciation is Dutch in the Assimil audio linked above, I think I would just do Spoken World: Dutch + Assimil: Dutch With Ease as the initial combo to begin, course wise.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:51 am

The audio in the sample is standard Dutch. A bit theatrical, but standard. Guttural 'g', standard pronunciation of the ei/ij etc. The Belgian flag is on there because you can speak standard Dutch in Belgium and be 99.9% understood (other way around less so sometimes unless it's 'Algemeen Vlaams').

I'll just add that for all practical purposes it doesn't really matter if the Dutch comes from NL or Belgium because it's all Dutch. I wouldn't want to be pulled into a quagmire about the actual differences, but if you are e.g. listening to the 'journaal' on the Flemish tv channel éen and you happen to be in Rotterdam or wherever, the newscasters are not speaking a different language or using different vocabulary 99% of the time. The people with regional accents or dialect inflections might be harder to understand, but you get that on the Dutch news as well! And they even subtitle that sometimes.
2 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 pm

New online Dutch course for advanced non-native speakers.

This is a free MOOC online course that appears to be excellent. It is designed for those who are B2 or better in Dutch. It is rare to find such courses at an advanced level. I have just started it and I'm very impressed with how well the course has been prepared. There is a lot of upfront detail about the course. It includes audio/video/vocabulary building/reading/writing and grammar and can be done as self-study, plus you can get help from teachers. And it addresses both Netherlands Dutch and Flemish Dutch, and discusses dialects.

Nieuw: online cursus Nederlands voor gevorderde anderstaligen
4 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Thu May 06, 2021 10:21 pm

Two excellent Dutch-language websites with audio and matching text podcasts. One is from the Netherlands and one is from Flanders in Belgium. Both have excellent audio and perfectly-matching text. And the articles are very interesting.

Een Beetje Nederlands

Op z'n Vlaams
7 x

Klara
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1),
B-ish: French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Italian
A-ish: Russian, Swedish, Latin, Polish, Portuguese

Postby Klara » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:36 pm

Thank you, tommus, for all these links, especially the online language course with B2 level as an entry! It is for sure too early to subscribe for me, but as a native German it will not take me ages to reach the required entry level. ;)

Like some others here, I am going to work through various textbooks for levels A and B - I prefer to use Dutch-German materials going from concise to comprehensive. After I had finished the first textbook a few weeks ago, I started doing the Dagelijke Tests on Beter Spellen. Just a quick and nice consolidation for grammar.

https://www.beterspellen.nl/website/index.php?pag=7

Additionally, I watch Dutch politi series on YT - there are so many available and I don't need subtitles.
For me this is an exellent way to reinforce/expand vocabulary and language use. In each episode you hear for example lots of greetings and presentations, parts of the body (twee kogels in de buik, een kogel in het hart), words you would never find in a language course (smeerlap, wraak, wetsdokter, vluchtmisdrijf …) and so on.

Then I listen extensively to two weekly Dutch podcasts (2-3 min.), but they also have perfectly matching transcripts. Nothing spectacular, just short topics spoken at "normal" speed. Later I will also do vocabulary work on them, but now it is too early because there is enough new stuff in the textbooks.

https://www.bnr.nl/podcast/paul-laseur
https://www.bnr.nl/podcast/bernard-hammelburg

To round off a learning session I do 15 minutes of physical exercises for seniors with these Dutch workout videos:

https://www.maxvandaag.nl/programmas/tv/nederland-in-beweging/nederland-in-beweging/POW_03737011/

So, that was my first post in the Dutch study group. It is nice to be here and I wish all other students of Dutch: Veel succes!
4 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:24 pm

Free academic journals in Dutch from Amsterdam University Press.

There are a lot of journals in Dutch that are open access. Many other journals there are in English. The Open Access journals are marked by a green square with "OA".

Amsterdam University Press Journals

An interesting example of one of the articles from one of the journals is this one about a biography of Jan Oort, the famous Dutch astronomer after whom the Oort Cloud in our solar system is named.

Een biografie van astronoom Jan Hendrik Oort

There is an excellent 30-minute YouTube video in Dutch about Jan Oort. It is partly in Frisian with Dutch subtitles. Good look at the two languages together. Most of the audio is in easy-to-understand standard Dutch.

YouTube - Jan Oort
6 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 24#p192024

Postby Sonjaconjota » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:01 am

Hi everybody,
I just wanted to say hello and present myself. My name is Sonja and I'm studying Dutch, although not very intensely.
I guess I'm going to drop by from time to time.
My biggest problem in Dutch is the huge gap between active and passive skills. I'm German, so understanding even native content isn't that complicated. Conversation classes, on the other hand, are a bit of a nightmare, because I'm always doubting myself. Is this correct, is it a false friend, am I just translating German into Dutch word by word? I have no solid base when it comes to grammar, either. I've just worked through a grammar book for level A1/A2, and it is very clear to me that I have not mastered the concepts in this book and will go on reviewing it for a while. So my level is a bit all over the place.
I would like to recommend some native material:
- I guess most of you already know that, but Radio 1 has a video-livestream. During some of their programs, you can watch the journalists in the studio. It helps my listening if I can see peoples' faces while they are talking:
https://www.nporadio1.nl/live
- I found it difficult to find youtubers in Dutch, because most seem to prefer to make their videos in English.
This guy has a channel about tiny houses, and even though they are not something I'm really into, I don't mind the topic either, and I really liked this channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/KoenBrouwerTV/videos
- This channel was actually discovered by my boyfriend, because he likes to watch videos of people constructing (sometimes strange) stuff. It seems to be a popular genre on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Thepracticalengineer/videos
- This one has short videos with dramatic personal stories, presented as animated cartoons:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MinuteVideosNederland/videos
- I love crime stories and was looking for some. The old police series "Baantjer" is on youtube, there are about 13 seasons or so. In some aspects it hasn't aged well, but as someone who was a teenager in the nineties, I actually got nostalgic watching it:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=baantjer+seizoen+1
- Podcasts about real crimes:
https://www.nporadio1.nl/podcasts/de-brand-in-het-landhuis
https://www.nporadio1.nl/podcasts/de-gijzeling-van-gladbeck
https://podcastluisteren.nl/pod/De-moord-op-Patrick
https://podcastluisteren.nl/pod/De-Kofferbakmoord
4 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:38 pm

Universele Verklaring van de Rechten van de Mens
Universal Declaration of Human Rights

The United Nations website has these documents in many languages. Here is the link to the Dutch version:

I have made a combined Dutch/English version:

Code: Select all

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Preambule
Preamble

Overwegende, dat erkenning van de inherente waardigheid en van de gelijke en onvervreemdbare rechten van alle leden van de mensengemeenschap grondslag is voor de vrijheid, gerechtigheid en vrede in de wereld;
Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

Overwegende, dat terzijdestelling van en minachting voor de rechten van de mens geleid hebben tot barbaarse handelingen, die het geweten van de mensheid geweld hebben aangedaan en dat de komst van een wereld, waarin de mensen vrijheid van meningsuiting en geloof zullen genieten, en vrij zullen zijn van vrees en gebrek, is verkondigd als het hoogste ideaal van iedere mens;
Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people,

Overwegende, dat het van het grootste belang is, dat de rechten van de mens beschermd worden door de suprematie van het recht, opdat de mens niet gedwongen worde om in laatste instantie zijn toevlucht te nemen tot opstand tegen tyrannie en onderdrukking;
Whereas it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law,

Overwegende, dat het van het grootste belang is om de ontwikkeling van vriendschappelijke betrekkingen tussen de naties te bevorderen;
Whereas it is essential to promote the development of friendly relations between nations,

Overwegende, dat de volkeren van de Verenigde Naties in het Handvest hun vertrouwen in de fundamentele rechten van de mens, in de waardigheid en de waarde van de mens en in de gelijke rechten van mannen en vrouwen opnieuw hebben bevestigd, en besloten hebben om sociale vooruitgang en een hogere levensstandaard in groter vrijheid te bevorderen;
Whereas the peoples of the United Nations have in the Charter reaffirmed their faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person and in the equal rights of men and women and have determined to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

Overwegende, dat de Staten, welke Lid zijn van de Verenigde Naties, zich plechtig verbonden hebben om, in samenwerking met de Organisatie van de Verenigde Naties, overal de eerbied voor en inachtneming van de rechten van de mens en de fundamentele vrijheden te bevorderen;
Whereas Member States have pledged themselves to achieve, in co-operation with the United Nations, the promotion of universal respect for and observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms,

Overwegende, dat het van het grootste belang is voor de volledige nakoming van deze verbintenis, dat een ieder begrip hebbe voor deze rechten en vrijheden;
Whereas a common understanding of these rights and freedoms is of the greatest importance for the full realization of this pledge,

Op grond daarvan proclameert de Algemene Vergadering deze Universele Verklaring van de Rechten van de Mens als het gemeenschappelijk door alle volkeren en alle naties te bereiken ideaal, opdat ieder individu en elk orgaan van de gemeenschap, met deze verklaring voortdurend voor ogen, er naar zal streven door onderwijs en opvoeding de eerbied voor deze rechten en vrijheden te bevorderen, en door vooruitstrevende maatregelen, op nationaal en internationaal terrein, deze rechten algemeen en daadwerkelijk te doen erkennen en toepassen, zowel onder de volkeren van Staten die Lid van de Verenigde Naties zijn, zelf, als onder de volkeren van gebieden, die onder hun jurisdictie staan:
Now, therefore, the General Assembly, proclaims this Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a common standard of achievement for all peoples and all nations, to the end that every individual and every organ of society, keeping this Declaration constantly in mind, shall strive by teaching and education to promote respect for these rights and freedoms and by progressive measures, national and international, to secure their universal and effective recognition and observance, both among the peoples of Member States themselves and among the peoples of territories under their jurisdiction.

Artikel 1
Alle mensen worden vrij en gelijk in waardigheid en rechten geboren. Zij zijn begiftigd met verstand en geweten, en behoren zich jegens elkander in een geest van broederschap te gedragen.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Artikel 2
Een ieder heeft aanspraak op alle rechten en vrijheden, in deze Verklaring opgesomd, zonder enig onderscheid van welke aard ook, zoals ras, kleur, geslacht, taal, godsdienst, politieke of andere overtuiging, nationale of maatschappelijke afkomst, eigendom, geboorte of andere status.
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.

Verder zal geen onderscheid worden gemaakt naar de politieke, juridische of internationale status van het land of gebied, waartoe iemand behoort, onverschillig of het een onafhankelijk, trust-, of niet-zelfbesturend gebied betreft, dan wel of er een andere beperking van de soevereiniteit bestaat.
Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Artikel 3
Een ieder heeft het recht op leven, vrijheid en onschendbaarheid van zijn persoon.
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Artikel 4
Niemand zal in slavernij of horigheid gehouden worden. Slavernij en slavenhandel in iedere vorm zijn verboden.
No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.

Artikel 5
Niemand zal onderworpen worden aan folteringen, noch aan een wrede, onmenselijke of onterende behandeling of bestraffing.
No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Artikel 6
Een ieder heeft, waar hij zich ook bevindt, het recht als persoon erkend te worden voor de wet.
Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

Artikel 7
Allen zijn gelijk voor de wet en hebben zonder onderscheid aanspraak op gelijke bescherming door de wet. Allen hebben aanspraak op gelijke bescherming tegen iedere achterstelling in strijd met deze Verklaring en tegen iedere ophitsing tot een dergelijke achterstelling.
All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Artikel 8
Een ieder heeft recht op daadwerkelijke rechtshulp van bevoegde nationale rechterlijke instanties tegen handelingen, welke in strijd zijn met de grondrechten hem toegekend bij Grondwet of wet.
Everyone has the right to an effective remedy by the competent national tribunals for acts violating the fundamental rights granted him by the constitution or by law.

Artikel 9
Niemand zal onderworpen worden aan willekeurige arrestatie, detentie of verbanning.
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Artikel 10
Een ieder heeft, in volle gelijkheid, recht op een eerlijke en openbare behandeling van zijn zaak door een onafhankelijke en onpartijdige rechterlijke instantie bij het vaststellen van zijn rechten en verplichtingen en bij het bepalen van de gegrondheid van een tegen hem ingestelde strafvervolging.
Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.

Artikel 11
Een ieder, die wegens een strafbaar feit wordt vervolgd, heeft er recht op voor onschuldig gehouden te worden, totdat zijn schuld krachtens de wet bewezen wordt in een openbare rechtszitting, waarbij hem alle waarborgen, nodig voor zijn verdediging, zijn toegekend.
Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.

Niemand zal voor schuldig gehouden worden aan enig strafrechtelijk vergrijp op grond van enige handeling of enig verzuim, welke naar nationaal of internationaal recht geen strafrechtelijk vergrijp betekenden op het tijdstip, waarop de handeling of het verzuim begaan werd. Evenmin zal een zwaardere straf worden opgelegd dan die, welke ten tijde van het begaan van het strafbare feit van toepassing was.
No one shall be held guilty of any penal offence on account of any act or omission which did not constitute a penal offence, under national or international law, at the time when it was committed. Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time the penal offence was committed.

Artikel 12
Niemand zal onderworpen worden aan willekeurige inmenging in zijn persoonlijke aangelegenheden, in zijn gezin, zijn tehuis of zijn briefwisseling, noch aan enige aantasting van zijn eer of goede naam. Tegen een dergelijke inmenging of aantasting heeft een ieder recht op bescherming door de wet.
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Artikel 13
Een ieder heeft het recht zich vrijelijk te verplaatsen en te vertoeven binnen de grenzen van elke Staat.
Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.

Een ieder heeft het recht welk land ook, met inbegrip van het zijne, te verlaten en naar zijn land terug te keren.
Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Artikel 14
Een ieder heeft het recht om in andere landen asiel te zoeken en te genieten tegen vervolging.
Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.

Op dit recht kan geen beroep worden gedaan ingeval van strafvervolgingen wegens misdrijven van niet-politieke aard of handelingen in strijd met de doeleinden en beginselen van de Verenigde Naties.
This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

Artikel 15
Een ieder heeft het recht op een nationaliteit.
Everyone has the right to a nationality.

Aan niemand mag willekeurig zijn nationaliteit worden ontnomen, noch het recht worden ontzegd om van nationaliteit te veranderen.
No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Artikel 16
Zonder enige beperking op grond van ras, nationaliteit of godsdienst, hebben mannen en vrouwen van huwbare leeftijd het recht om te huwen en een gezin te stichten. Zij hebben gelijke rechten wat het huwelijk betreft, tijdens het huwelijk en bij de ontbinding ervan.
Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

Een huwelijk kan slechts worden gesloten met de vrije en volledige toestemming van de aanstaande echtgenoten.
Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.

Het gezin is de natuurlijke en fundamentele groepseenheid van de maatschappij en heeft recht op bescherming door de maatschappij en de Staat.
The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

Artikel 17
Een ieder heeft recht op eigendom, hetzij alleen, hetzij tezamen met anderen.
Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.

Niemand mag willekeurig van zijn eigendom worden beroofd.
No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

Artikel 18
Een ieder heeft recht op vrijheid van gedachte, geweten en godsdienst;dit recht omvat tevens de vrijheid om van godsdienst of overtuiging te veranderen, alsmede de vrijheid hetzij alleen, hetzij met anderen zowel in het openbaar als in zijn particuliere leven zijn godsdienst of overtuiging te belijden door het onderwijzen ervan, door de praktische toepassing, door eredienst en de inachtneming van de geboden en voorschriften.
Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

Artikel 19
Een ieder heeft recht op vrijheid van mening en meningsuiting. Dit recht omvat de vrijheid om zonder inmenging een mening te koesteren en om door alle middelen en ongeacht grenzen inlichtingen en denkbeelden op te sporen, te ontvangen en door te geven.
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Artikel 20
Een ieder heeft recht op vrijheid van vreedzame vereniging en vergadering.
Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.

Niemand mag worden gedwongen om tot een vereniging te behoren.
No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

Artikel 21
Een ieder heeft het recht om deel te nemen aan het bestuur van zijn land, rechtstreeks of door middel van vrij gekozen vertegenwoordigers.
Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.

Een ieder heeft het recht om op voet van gelijkheid te worden toegelaten tot de overheidsdiensten van zijn land.
Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in his country.

De wil van het volk zal de grondslag zijn van het gezag van de Regering; deze wil zal tot uiting komen in periodieke en eerlijke verkiezingen, die gehouden zullen worden krachtens algemeen en gelijkwaardig kiesrecht en bij geheime stemmingen of volgens een procedure, die evenzeer de vrijheid van de stemmen verzekert.
The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

Artikel 22
Een ieder heeft als lid van de gemeenschap recht op maatschappelijke zekerheid en heeft er aanspraak op, dat door middel van nationale inspanning en internationale samenwerking, en overeenkomstig de organisatie en de hulpbronnen van de betreffende Staat, de economische, sociale en culturele rechten, die onmisbaar zijn voor zijn waardigheid en voor de vrije ontplooiing van zijn persoonlijkheid, verwezenlijkt worden.
Everyone, as a member of society, has the right to social security and is entitled to realization, through national effort and international co-operation and in accordance with the organization and resources of each State, of the economic, social and cultural rights indispensable for his dignity and the free development of his personality.

Artikel 23
Een ieder heeft recht op arbeid, op vrije keuze van beroep, op rechtmatige en gunstige arbeidsvoorwaarden en op bescherming tegen werkloosheid.
Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.

Een ieder, zonder enige achterstelling, heeft recht op gelijk loon voor gelijke arbeid.
Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal pay for equal work.

Een ieder, die arbeid verricht, heeft recht op een rechtvaardige en gunstige beloning, welke hem en zijn gezin een menswaardig bestaan verzekert, welke beloning zo nodig met andere middelen van sociale bescherming zal worden aangevuld.
Everyone who works has the right to just and favourable remuneration ensuring for himself and his family an existence worthy of human dignity, and supplemented, if necessary, by other means of social protection.

Een ieder heeft het recht om vakverenigingen op te richten en zich daarbij aan te sluiten ter bescherming van zijn belangen.
Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.

Artikel 24
Een ieder heeft recht op rust en op eigen vrije tijd, met inbegrip van een redelijke beperking van de arbeidstijd, en op periodieke vakanties met behoud van loon.
Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.

Artikel 25
Een ieder heeft recht op een levensstandaard, die hoog genoeg is voor de gezondheid en het welzijn van zichzelf en zijn gezin, waaronder inbegrepen voeding, kleding, huisvesting en geneeskundige verzorging en de noodzakelijke sociale diensten, alsmede het recht op voorziening in geval van werkloosheid, ziekte, invaliditeit, overlijden van de echtgenoot, ouderdom of een ander gemis aan bestaansmiddelen, ontstaan ten gevolge van omstandigheden onafhankelijk van zijn wil.
Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

Moeder en kind hebben recht op bijzondere zorg en bijstand. Alle kinderen, al dan niet wettig, zullen dezelfde sociale bescherming genieten.
Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

Artikel 26
Een ieder heeft recht op onderwijs; het onderwijs zal kosteloos zijn, althans wat het lager en basisonderwijs betreft. Het lager onderwijs zal verplicht zijn. Ambachtsonderwijs en beroepsopleiding zullen algemeen beschikbaar worden gesteld. Hoger onderwijs zal openstaan voor een ieder, die daartoe de begaafdheid bezit.
Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

Het onderwijs zal gericht zijn op de volle ontwikkeling van de menselijke persoonlijkheid en op de versterking van de eerbied voor de rechten van de mens en de fundamentele vrijheden. Het zal het begrip, de verdraagzaamheid en de vriendschap onder alle naties, rassen of godsdienstige groepen bevorderen en het zal de werkzaamheden van de Verenigde Naties voor de handhaving van de vrede steunen.
Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.

Aan de ouders komt in de eerste plaats het recht toe om de soort van opvoeding en onderwijs te kiezen, welke aan hun kinderen zal worden gegeven.
Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

Artikel 27
Een ieder heeft het recht om vrijelijk deel te nemen aan het culturele leven van de gemeenschap, om te genieten van kunst en om deel te hebben aan wetenschappelijke vooruitgang en de vruchten daarvan.
Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.

Een ieder heeft het recht op de bescherming van de geestelijke en materiële belangen, voortspruitende uit een wetenschappelijk, letterkundig of artistiek werk, dat hij heeft voortgebracht.
Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.

Artikel 28
Een ieder heeft recht op het bestaan van een zodanige maatschappelijke en internationale orde, dat de rechten en vrijheden, in deze Verklaring genoemd, daarin ten volle kunnen worden verwezenlijkt.
Everyone is entitled to a social and international order in which the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration can be fully realized.

Artikel 29
Een ieder heeft plichten jegens de gemeenschap, zonder welke de vrije en volledige ontplooiing van zijn persoonlijkheid niet mogelijk is.
Everyone has duties to the community in which alone the free and full development of his personality is possible.

In de uitoefening van zijn rechten en vrijheden zal een ieder slechts onderworpen zijn aan die beperkingen, welke bij de wet zijn vastgesteld en wel uitsluitend ter verzekering van de onmisbare erkenning en eerbiediging van de rechten en vrijheden van anderen en om te voldoen aan de gerechtvaardigde eisen van de moraliteit, de openbare orde en het algemeen welzijn in een democratische gemeenschap.
In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be subject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.

Deze rechten en vrijheden mogen in geen geval worden uitgeoefend in strijd met de doeleinden en beginselen van de Verenigde Naties.
These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

Artikel 30
Geen bepaling in deze Verklaring zal zodanig mogen worden uitgelegd, dat welke Staat, groep of persoon dan ook, daaraan enig recht kan ontlenen om iets te ondernemen of handelingen van welke aard ook te verrichten, die vernietiging van een van de rechten en vrijheden, in deze Verklaring genoemd, ten doel hebben.
Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.
2 x

tommus
Blue Belt

Postby tommus » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:11 pm

TPR Storytelling (Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling or TPRS) is a method of teaching foreign languages.

That is the first line of the Wikipedia article about TPRS. TPRS and TPR have a variety of interpretations.

Wikipedia TPRS

TPR and TPRS have been discussed extensively on LLorg.

Here is an excellent TPRS example in a large YouTube series of videos teaching Dutch for beginners. It is so well done that it probably is useful for those with more advanced levels of Dutch.

YouTube - Juf M NT2
4 x

Return to “Study Groups”