Modern Greek Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Spanish, Russian
Current Focus: Chinese, Persian, German, Yiddish, Icelandic, Arabic, Cornish, Japanese
Time Permitting: Hindi, Latin, Old English, Polish, Greek, Hungarian, French
Dreams: Korean, Scandinavian, Slavic, Celtic, Sanskrit

Re: Modern Greek Study Group

Postby David1917 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:41 am

mokibao wrote:Has anyone been able to find the audio tapes for Le grec sans peine (first edition from the 70s, not Le nouveau grec sans peine)? Can't find them on shopping sites, can't find them in public libraries, can't find them on Russian-language websites.

I am searching for these, as well as many other audio components to Assimil, Langenscheidt, and Buske courses for various languages. Stockpiling used books is cool until it's impossible to find the other pieces. I wonder if everyone who bought the full sets literally just threw the tapes and cds away or something.
2 x

mokibao
Yellow Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Tue May 04, 2021 5:41 pm

They don't seem to appear on WorldCat either. I'm a bit concerned that they may not have been digitized at all, in which case they are in serious danger of being lost forever. Which is a shame as I had a look at the text and it was in the pure old school Assimil style I enjoy: dense in explanations, ambitious in scope and full of jokes.

Worst case I guess some TTS could be slapped on it but usually the quality isn't up to par for non-FIGS languages, and the dialogues are going to suffer. Or we could pool a bounty and ask some charitable souls to do a live modern reading, but this raises copyright issues (the absurdity of laying claims on products you don't sell anymore...)
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Spanish, Russian
Current Focus: Chinese, Persian, German, Yiddish, Icelandic, Arabic, Cornish, Japanese
Time Permitting: Hindi, Latin, Old English, Polish, Greek, Hungarian, French
Dreams: Korean, Scandinavian, Slavic, Celtic, Sanskrit

Postby David1917 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:21 pm

mokibao wrote:They don't seem to appear on WorldCat either. I'm a bit concerned that they may not have been digitized at all, in which case they are in serious danger of being lost forever. Which is a shame as I had a look at the text and it was in the pure old school Assimil style I enjoy: dense in explanations, ambitious in scope and full of jokes.

Worst case I guess some TTS could be slapped on it but usually the quality isn't up to par for non-FIGS languages, and the dialogues are going to suffer. Or we could pool a bounty and ask some charitable souls to do a live modern reading, but this raises copyright issues (the absurdity of laying claims on products you don't sell anymore...)

Ugh, so true. 70 years is fast approaching for some of those first Assimil courses, though... :shock:

I recently asked Assimil if they'd be willing to sell mp3s of their old courses but they said they have no archive of them. Seems false, but also most companies are horribly inefficient and not concerned with longevity, so who knows it could be true. Really it's probably that the labor of digging up master tapes and finding someone to convert them to digital and clean them up a bit is not worth the handful of us who would buy them.
2 x

Le Baron
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Nederlands, Français, Deutsch, Esperanto (a very worthy language). Studying: Castellano, Swahili, rather slowly, but surely. Also Sranantongo in the past with my wife, but it has lapsed.

Postby Le Baron » Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 pm

David1917 wrote:I am searching for these, as well as many other audio components to Assimil, Langenscheidt, and Buske courses for various languages. Stockpiling used books is cool until it's impossible to find the other pieces. I wonder if everyone who bought the full sets literally just threw the tapes and cds away or something.

I'm surmising, partially from memory of seeing people's purchases in the past, that many more books were bought than full packages because the extra audio was often expensive. The vinyl versions were fragile and wore out and I've only ever seen a few examples of extant reel-to-reel tapes sold with a course. They had some at my school, but these were already deprecated and they used the 'language lab' cassette method. I have cassettes for some old courses, but you can see they've had a battle with a cassette mechanism at various stages in their lives.

We may recall that in the past people had a nasty habit of throwing things away. Usually parents who tidied out the loft and gave things away to people who either ruined them or eventually chucked them out themselves and they went to landfill. :shock: So the leftover stuff is minimal, especially for languages that weren't sold in their thousands back when people mainly learned FIGS.
2 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Wed May 05, 2021 8:59 pm

kanewai wrote:How's your experience with Harry Potter? It's often my first book in a new language, but it's hard to find in Greek. As far as I know it isn't on kindle, or on audible, either.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but isn't this what you're looking for?
0 x
Corrections welcome here

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Greek
Maintenance: Italian, Spanish, French
Priors: Pááfang (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Epic Greek, Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Thu May 06, 2021 1:27 am

Neurotip wrote:I'm probably missing something obvious, but isn't this what you're looking for?
Nah, I was the one completely missing the obvious. I was looking for audible (none), kindle versions (none), or hard copies (expensive and rare).

I downloaded the .epub version you linked to, and gave it a test run, even though I'm a few months away from being able to read it. I converted it to .mobi format, sent it to kindle ... and -now I have a new problem: neither kindle nor the iPhone are Greek friendly. There's no built-in Greek pop-up dictionary for apple or for amazon products, which I find odd. I found one to download for the kindle, Modern Greek - English Dictionary: inflexion friendly (Ajax Fast-Track Language), which seems to work.
0 x
fr: Margeurite Duras, Un barrage contre le Pacifique: 80 / 100
it: Indro Montanelli, Storia dei Greci: 160 / 341
es: RNE, El Quijote del siglo XXI: 3 / 10
el: Assimil, Le grec: 75 / 100

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Thu May 06, 2021 9:45 pm

kanewai wrote:I downloaded the .epub version you linked to, and gave it a test run, even though I'm a few months away from being able to read it. I converted it to .mobi format, sent it to kindle ... and -now I have a new problem: neither kindle nor the iPhone are Greek friendly. There's no built-in Greek pop-up dictionary for apple or for amazon products, which I find odd. I found one to download for the kindle, Modern Greek - English Dictionary: inflexion friendly (Ajax Fast-Track Language), which seems to work.

Oh, what a shame. I'm not kindle-literate so I can't help you with that side of things, but glad you managed to download the book anyway. Let us know how you get on! I did enjoy noticing how whoever designed the covers seemed to be trying to hide the 'Ο' in 'Ο Χάρι Πότερ' as if they were embarrassed about it ;)
0 x
Corrections welcome here

Return to “Study Groups”