Modern Greek Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Re: Modern Greek Study Group

Postby Neurotip » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:14 am

kanewai wrote:I know how to slowly print each letter, but I'd like to develop a more natural system of handwriting. Assimil has a one-page example, but it looks horribly complicated. I've been using this sheet, as well as this video from Easy Greek:

There is surprisingly little on teh interwebz about this, I agree. I've also found this, similar to the Foundalis page, but the most helpful page I've found is this sample of real Greek handwriting and its accompanying how-to page. For example, the lowercase psi here looks like an English (sorry Roman) 'y' with a tall right ascender, which I haven't seen recommended elsewhere.

Let us know if you find anything else!
2 x
Corrections welcome here

Agorima
White Belt
Languages: Italian, English, French, Greek, Czech

Postby Agorima » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:40 pm

kanewai wrote:I know how to slowly print each letter, but I'd like to develop a more natural system of handwriting. Assimil has a one-page example, but it looks horribly complicated.

It takes time to understand the Greek language as written in the notebooks, as well the "greeklish", the language written in "latin" letters.
I had some troubles to understand the former in Greece, at A2 level it was easier for me to understand the "greeklish".
0 x

Language patzer
Yellow Belt
Languages: Greek native, English C2, French B2

Postby Language patzer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:58 am

Neurotip wrote:its accompanying how-to page[/url].

This is super accurate. The second versions of small π, λ, ξ, ψ etc. that look weird are widely used, and learn to recognize them even if you don't use them.

It's like in all languages, learn the proper shapes first and then let your hand free. Greek handwritten texts can be very difficult to read so know it's not your fault. I can't read back some of my own university class notes, because they were taken down so fast.

There is a tendancy not to lift the pen at all between letters, which can produce monsters :lol:

Anyway, my point is be patient. Our teachers at school gave us one advice for all those longhand papers we had to give them: don't go for pretty letters and calligraphy, go for clear and legible!
1 x
Cours de Langue et de Civilisation Francaises
Book 1, finished

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:42 am

Language patzer wrote:
Neurotip wrote:its accompanying how-to page[/url].

This is super accurate. The second versions of small π, λ, ξ, ψ etc. that look weird are widely used, and learn to recognize them even if you don't use them.

It's like in all languages, learn the proper shapes first and then let your hand free. Greek handwritten texts can be very difficult to read so know it's not your fault. I can't read back some of my own university class notes, because they were taken down so fast.

There is a tendancy not to lift the pen at all between letters, which can produce monsters :lol:

Anyway, my point is be patient. Our teachers at school gave us one advice for all those longhand papers we had to give them: don't go for pretty letters and calligraphy, go for clear and legible!
I can barely read my own handwriting either. My penmanship has actually improved immensely this year, as I bought a notebook just for language study & I try to write clearly so that I'll actually be able to read it. It's been good practice.

But damn, some of those Greek examples were rough! It looks like they started with legible examples, and slowly added messier ones. I figure I'll adjust one letter at a time until I have a natural style.
1 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm

Language patzer wrote:This is super accurate. The second versions of small π, λ, ξ, ψ etc. that look weird are widely used, and learn to recognize them even if you don't use them.

Thanks LP, I'll do that.

Incidentally, thanks for introducing me to the word 'patzer' which I don't recall coming across before. Now I know the word, it sort of feels appropriate - possibly because of the phonetic and semantic proximity of 'patsy'. The second or third Google hit for it is a forum on chess.com on which an Icelander gives his translation of the term! Nice.
1 x
Corrections welcome here

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:47 pm

Thoughts on my first month with modern Greek:

I am really enjoying this language. I don't think I've felt the same buzz with a new language since I started Italian over a decade ago.

I took a look at the FSI numbers, and it looks like they expect students to need 366 hours of class time to reach "elementary proficiency" in Greek. It sounds intimidating, but that actually helps me relax, and not stress when I'm not fluent after only 30 hours. I know this is going to be a long road.

And yet, I'm already fantasizing about the day when I can read Homer in at least a modern translation.

I've reached lesson 45 with Language Transfer, and lesson 18 with Assimil Le Grec. I breezed through the early sections, but now I've slowed down - it takes me two or three listens for each LT lesson, and I need a good chunk of time with each Assimil one.

I already knew the Greek alphabet, but with the "Latin" pronunciation. I have to retrain my mind to hear the modern Greek. I see a word like αυτό, and my mind hears "ow-toe" and not "aftó." This is the biggest early challenge.

And I'm totally having fun transcribing the lessons in my notebook. It's time consuming, but I enjoy it.

writing.jpg

(note: I already know there are some major errors in the Arabic)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Language patzer
Yellow Belt

Postby Language patzer » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:35 am

Your greek handwriting is fine. In fact better than some greeks I know, whose hand you can't read to save your life :lol:
1 x
Book 1, finished

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:35 am

I am really enjoying this language. I don't think I've felt the same buzz with a new language since I started Italian over a decade ago.

I personally have never had as much fun with any language I've studied, even ones I love a lot, than when I studied Ancient Greek back in college. I gave Modern Greek a shot many years ago, and got a bit frustrated with the phonology, so I didn't get far. But yeah, there's something about Greek that's just fun.
3 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:26 pm

Guys, do you know of any Greek language TV stations that you may watch on a smart TV (Android). So far I was only able to find a smart TV app of the Ionian TV.
0 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

Language patzer
Yellow Belt

Postby Language patzer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:29 am

I don't know about smart tv, but I can tell you the main channels. Most of them have a live feed on their site, and/or live youtube channel. I don't know which is which.

Et1
et2
et3 (the three state channels ert is their collective name)
vouli
skai
star
mega
open
ant1
alpha
1 x
Book 1, finished

Return to “Study Groups”