Modern Greek Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Language patzer
Yellow Belt
Languages: Greek native, English C2, French B2

Re: Modern Greek Study Group

Postby Language patzer » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:44 am

I would like to tell you about the old greek movies, and some old tv series that are known and loved by all greeks. Everybody knows them, quotes them, we've seen them a thousand times and we still watch them.

I thought they might help you with language, but also give you a cutural reference that we all recognize.

Here is one movie with many loved actors, a comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHxdAINcvgM

If you find this idea useful ask me and I will tell you about movies etc.
1 x

Mac
Languages: English (N), Greek (A2ish), German (rusty A1/A2)

Re: Modern Greek Study Group

Postby Mac » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:19 pm

Γεια σας! Native English speaker from the UK here. My mum was a native Greek speaker who came to the UK as a teenager. She tried sending me to Greek school as a child, but it didn't work. We didn't speak Greek at home and Greek school at that time was not geared up for children that couldn't already speak or understand Greek. I studied German and French at secondary school, but was terrified of speaking and didn't apply my languages outside of the classroom. I tried Greek again as a young adult by attending a weekly class, but an hour a week does not a language learn, especially as I was still being passive in my learning.

After a break (of decades), I returned to learning Greek at the start of last year, wanting to reconnect with my roots and connect with family in Greece. I started with a weekly in-person class (pre-covid) and Duolingo. Over the past year, my approach has continued to evolve, with new elements added and discarded. No more weekly group classes. 1:1 conversation lessons on Italki. Duolingo daily (vocab). Individual study of 2 textbooks/ courses: Ελληνικά Τώρα and Άκου Να Δεις. Most recently, I've started journaling in Greek (today will be day 3!). Supplemented by a playlist of Greek pop songs on Spotify, Πέππα το Γουρουνάκι & Super Easy Greek on YouTube, and Μικροί Κύριοι - Μικρές Κύριες books (Mr Men and Little Misses). I've used shadowing with slowed down recordings of Super Easy Greek and Greek songs. I do dabble with other things, but trying to simplify and focus.

Other resources:
    AudioBookWorms on YouTube for Greek audiobook version of Ο Χάρι Πότερ και η Φιλοσοφική Λίθος (Harry Potter).
    Weekly WeeGreek podcasts for listening practice with Greek at two levels, followed by the English.
    Filoglossia - Learning Greek as a Foreign Language for beginners. Audio files, exercises.
    News sites protothema.gr and CNN.gr for reading and translation practice and to connect with what's happening in Greek.

My progress is uneven, but I have made progress. I even picked up the phone a couple of days ago to talk to a cousin in Greece in Greek! As an introvert, this was a big milestone for me. Θέλω να συνεχίζω να μαθαίνω ελληνικά. (I want to continue to learn Greek)
6 x

Return to “Study Groups”