BCS Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Re: BCS Study Group

Postby Daniel N. » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:36 pm

If someone uses Easy Croatian in the PDF version, there are new versions ready for download. Each PDF has now exactly 600 pages. :shock: You can download them, as always, from the Easy Croatian: Introduction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Daniel N.
Green Belt

Postby Daniel N. » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:48 pm

I've fixed a number of minor errors in the PDF's; if anyone is using my PDF's, please download them again (file names are the same, but inside it's 47a).
3 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Daniel N. wrote:I've fixed a number of minor errors in the PDF's; if anyone is using my PDF's, please download them again (file names are the same, but inside it's 47a).
I have been wondering for a while why exactly you made such a big book, and even for free. It is a bit of a mammoth project to me...
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Daniel N.
Green Belt

Postby Daniel N. » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:35 pm

SGP wrote:
Daniel N. wrote:I've fixed a number of minor errors in the PDF's; if anyone is using my PDF's, please download them again (file names are the same, but inside it's 47a).
I have been wondering for a while why exactly you made such a big book, and even for free. It is a bit of a mammoth project to me...

It's just the website converted to PDF using a Facebook plugin and some C# code I wrote...

I think it will be about 900-1000 pages when done.
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:59 pm

Daniel N. wrote:
SGP wrote:

It's just the website converted to PDF using a Facebook plugin and some C# code I wrote...

I think it will be about 900-1000 pages when done.
Well, what I was trying to say is... I somehow wonder because of what kind of motivation you made all of these efforts. Maybe because of some very big passion about your own language?
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Daniel N.
Green Belt

Postby Daniel N. » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:29 pm

SGP wrote: what I was trying to say is... I somehow wonder because of what kind of motivation you made all of these efforts. Maybe because of some very big passion about your own language?

not really. I started just with a few simple tables. But I do like linguistics in general, so I thought why not writing down what I know.

(Edit) also, such things are quite common in Croatia. Due to big dialectal diversity, existence of a standard almost nobody speaks etc there are zillion of web pages and FB groups promoting local words, forms, there are shelves of dictionaries of various local vernaculars mostly written by amateurs...
0 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt

Postby Daniel N. » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 am

I've created a small vocab test, 40 words out of a larger pool, actually three pools by word frequencies, it also gives some estimates -- probably quite off -- but it can be useful. If you try it several times, you'll get a different set of words each time, but results should be consistent.

Quiz: Vocabulary
5 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:59 pm

100% Sneaky :)
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 am

This was fun, hvala ti puno, Daniele!
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
• N: English
• C: German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Greek
• B: Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese
• A: Persian, Mandarin
• Dormant: Dutch, Romanian, Polish

Postby Denzagathist » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Daniel N. wrote:I've created a small vocab test, 40 words out of a larger pool, actually three pools by word frequencies, it also gives some estimates -- probably quite off -- but it can be useful. If you try it several times, you'll get a different set of words each time, but results should be consistent.

Quiz: Vocabulary

I tried it three times and got 19000, 16000, and 14000 words (in that order -- somehow my Croatian vocabulary got worse the more times I did the test :D ). I feel like those are very generous estimates of my Croatian vocabulary size, though. I'm curious how the test extrapolates the final value from the answers to the test. In some cases I could have probably guessed the correct translation even though I didn't know the word, simply because I knew the Croatian translations of the other words listed as options. Depending on my degree of certainty in such cases, I picked either my guess or "I don't know".

I also have to admit that I didn't know some of the English words listed as possible translations, even though English is my first language. :?
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”