Setswana Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Setswana Study Group

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:33 pm

Okay, here's mine:

Dumêla(ng), [...]! Leina la me ke Vadim. Ke tswa kwa Russia, mme ke goletse kwa Kazakhstan. Ke nna kwa Moscow jaanong. Ke Morussia. Ke bêrêka kwa boemedi jwa Japane. Ke moranodi. Ke bua Serussia, Sekgoa, Sejêrêmane, Sejapane le Sekazakh. Ke ithuta Setswana. Ke batla go bua Setswana.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm

OK, finally managed my homework. Hopefully it is all correct! Be glad to get some corrections from a native.

My name is Rick. I am American. I live in England, I live near London. I am married and I have three daughters. I speak English, but I am learning
Setswana, Chinese, French. I want to speak Setswana. England is nice, you should visit London.

Leina lame ke Rick. Ke tswa kwa Amerika. Gae ke kwa ga Enyelane, gae ke kwa ga gaufi London. Ke tsere, ke na 3 ngwana wa mosetsana. Ke bua Sekgoa mme ke batla go ithuta Setswana, Letsopa, Sefora. Ke batla go ithuta Setswana. Enyelane o siame, o e eta London.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Dumelang! Leina la me ke Janice. Ke tswa kwa Amerika, mme ke nna kwa Norowei. Ke bua Sekgoa le Senorowei. Ke ithuta Setswana, Sejeremane, Sesepeine le Sejanape. Ke rata go ithuta diteme. Ke batla ithuta diteme tsotlhe. Ke rata go bala, go tsamaya le go leba thelebishine. Ke rata go bua Setswana, mme ga ke itse go bua sentle.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Study Session and Memrise Group

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Ok, our language partner was a no-show and I've sent a message to discuss that. We still had a good session and reviewed our islands. Now to edit them and learn them!

Our next session is Monday, 20th of August at 20:00 Central European Summer Time (UTC +2)
https://hangouts.google.com/group/BzdExCkHZAjIrqjU2

Our only homework this time is to keep up with study of the material in Memrise course.
We are still very open and supportive to new participants.

If you wish to join the Memrise group the link is : https://www.memrise.com/group/266585/

I've also shared this thread with an exchange site with Setswana speakers, they may be interested in joining our discussion group in exchange for our native languages.
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm

I just want to mention that the other week I met a Botswanan diplomat here. I'd never heard Setswana before so I got her to speak some to me. Great sounding language! She said that there were quite a lot of Australians there (what they're doing there, she didn't elaborate on), but it sounds like they stick to English. I'll be looking in on this thread!
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:24 pm

nooj wrote:She said that there were quite a lot of Australians there (what they're doing there, she didn't elaborate on)

I'd bet it has to do with mining. At least Russians (particularly the company Norilsk Nickel) are there for that reason.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Re: Study Session and Memrise Group

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Our next session is Monday, 3rd of September at 20:00 Central European Summer Time (UTC +2)

New learners are welcome.

https://hangouts.google.com/group/BzdExCkHZAjIrqjU2
If you wish to join the Memrise group the link is : https://www.memrise.com/group/266585/
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Homework for next session:

Transcribe the first five minutes (1st minute is mostly credits), post them here for comparison.

Our next session is Monday, 17th of September at 20:00 Central European Summer Time (UTC +2)

New learners are welcome.
2 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Audio stories in Setswana and other African languages
Written stories in various African languages I couldn’t make the search function work, so you might have to just scroll through. Here are the stories in Setswana: Neo and the big, wide world, We have to go, Sisanda’s gift, The birthday wish, Thembela in the wind, The amazing tale of floating Zimkhitha, Kamuzu’s voice, Silly Thukile, How stories began, The rain bird, Haruki’s tale. Since the stories are available in English too. I was planning to see if I could copy them and make parallel texts. I haven’t checked all of them, but at least some have audio as well, so then we could have a parallel text and audio to study from.
Ooh, there's a ton of Xhosa and Zulu material here too!

I'm not planning on studying Setswana but I spent a couple of weeks on Xhosa earlier this year and I'm hoping to spend a larger chunk of time on it next year, so as a fellow Bantu language enthusiast I'm very interested to see how everyone progresses in this thread. Good luck everyone!
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 pm

I tried transcribing. I did up to about 2:30, which took more than 30 minutes. There are 7 words I’m sure of and 5 of those were names that were included in the English subtitles. And there are seven other words that I’m pretty sure of because I recognize them. The rest is pure gibberish. It’s probably good for training my ear though.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”