Haitian Creole Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
poeticsteph
White Belt
Languages: Current: English (N), Portuguese (C1), Dutch (A2), Sranan Tongo (A1)

Future: Saramaccan, Ndyuka, Galician, Haitian Creole (A2), Cape Verdean Creole (A2)

Past: French, Spanish (varied levels), Italian, Latin, Mauritian Creole, Guarani, Lingala, Swahili, Yoruba, Afrikaans, Swedish, Japanese, Bulgarian, Hungarian

Re: Haitian Creole Study Group

Postby poeticsteph » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:49 am

Great resources. I studied this language pretty steadily for a couple of years, but for various reasons had to put it on the back burner.

As soon as I feel like I’m making real progress with my Dutch and/or Sranan Tongo, I’ll return to it!
1 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Anyone studying HC right now? I do not have access to any native speakers right now and am studying on my own.

I keep getting distracted from my studies and returning. Life is always eventful for me. I do not have a burning reason to study HC in my present circumstances, but ... it is one of the top five languages taught in my city, while one of the least commonly taught, so ... it is a highly valued skill to have. I have time right now to prioritize it. At least today, I think this will be the time that I regain all that I lost, and punch into an even higher level. My track record says I am a lost cause, but ... maybe I am one of those few people who succeeds after multiple failures.
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:16 pm

Welcome back, Decidida! Failing is something we all do. It doesn't mean you can't succeed. You just have to be consistent and persistent in language-learning. I have updated some of the links in the resources post. There's a lot there to help you. M ap swete w bòn chans !
1 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 pm

iguanamon wrote:Welcome back, Decidida! Failing is something we all do. It doesn't mean you can't succeed. You just have to be consistent and persistent in language-learning. I have updated some of the links in the resources post. There's a lot there to help you. M ap swete w bòn chans !

Thank you! Is there any way to access the Ann Pale Kreyol audios? I have a used copy of the textbook and audio would make it more useful. I signed up for a guest account to the university, but it is not enouch to access the audio files.

I also have a used copy of the Florida phrasebook with English, Creole, Spanish, and portugue in 4 columns spread out over two pages. I really like that book!

I bought several old library books from a used online seller and got them mixed up with my library books and accidently left them at my bigcity library. I didn't even bother to ask about them. I still have the Ann Pale text and the Florida phrasebook, though.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:01 pm

One of my libraries includes free access to Pronunciator. Here is the Haitian Creole page.
https://www.pronunciator.com/learn-haitian-creole/

I cannot pass the pronunciation. It says it might be failing me for background noise, which I cannot remedy. If it is my pronunciation, there are no instruction for what I need to do differently and the tutor just goes on and on repreating suggestions that are not helpful. It is awkward to skip the pronunciation. I am having to pick and choose what is a good use of my time.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)

Postby iguanamon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:07 am

The link in the resources post is active and works. The audios are available for the APK pdf course linked to in the resources post at IU Celtie- Ann Pale Kreyòl. You'll be able to tell if this audio corresponds to your physical book.

I wouldn't worry about an automated pronunciation checker. The technology is not yet quite good enough to trust for most language-learning purposes. Give it another decade.
3 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:11 pm

That links leads me to a login screen that I cannot get past. I am almost sure that links leads to the audios that match my book, but I cannot get past the log in screen. It asks for a user name and password. I signed up for a guest account last night, and plugged in that info and then was told that a guest account was not enough to gain access to this page.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:57 pm

I don't have an account or user name or password and the link takes me straight to the audios- http://www.iu.edu/~celtie/haitian_creole_archive.html. Try again but use a different browser.
1 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:32 pm

A different browser did take me to a different page. But the audios that I can click on are to the 1970's A Basic Course in Haitian Creole, not the 1990's Ann Pale Kreyol that is the one available by pdf. Is there a pdf of the 1970's course? Hardcopy of the 1970's book are getting rarer and more expensive.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:15 pm

I think I found a copy of the 1970's book and ordered it. Reviews say the spelling is the old style. I have another book with that spelling. It is probably a good idea to become aware of all the major styles, like it is necessary to have some awareness of British and American spelling no matter what English country you live in.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”