Haitian Creole Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
maxalmonte14
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2), French (A2)

Re: Haitian Creole Study Group

Postby maxalmonte14 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Thank you very much for the list of resources, I find them really helpful in my journey to learn Haitian Creole!
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:49 pm

Duolinguo will be adding a "Haitian Creole for English-speakers" course soon.
5 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:43 pm

Via Twitter: The Duolinguo Haitian Creole Course is now available. I can't vouch for its quality, or lack thereof. I look forward to seeing your reviews.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:30 am

iguanamon wrote:Via Twitter: The Duolinguo Haitian Creole Course is now available. I can't vouch for its quality, or lack thereof. I look forward to seeing your reviews.

I did the first two modules. Cool, for a beta it's got the sound in place and is clear. It's better than the last beta I did. It's still a very short course. Seems to be an accessible language! Thanks for sharing, even if I won't go further for now.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:21 am

I actually tried taking the placement test for the new HC course, going on nothing but my knowledge of French and a few basic facts I remember about HC phonology and orthography (I've read about its grammar before, but don't remember much). My result was good enough to unlock all the lessons up to unit 2! I do feel like I'll have to actually go through the unit 1 lessons before doing unit 2 though, because there's a lot of grammar stuff I didn't manage to pick up on, and unfortunately only one of the unit 1 lessons has a tips section with any grammatical explanations.
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu May 18, 2023 11:00 pm

księżycowy wrote:Ok, I've finally gotten around to uploading the audio to Ann Pale Kreyòl (the full 10 CD version!). [EDIT: Offer to share the audio had unfortunately been rescinded, as I was never able to get in touch with any copyright holders]

I did notice that a few tracks (about three) have a few clicks in them from the ripping process, but the rest are fine. Hopefully I'll be able to fix those few tracks as well.

Just wanted to update this post, as not only is the audio to A Basic Course in Haitian Creole available at CeLT, but so is the audio to Ann Pale Kreyol and the St. Lucia Creole Basic Course! Links below:
A Basic Course in Haitian Creole
Ann Pale Kreyol
St. Lucia Creole Basic Course

All with open access to the wider public!

(Current as of May 18, 2023)
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Study Groups”