Haitian Creole Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Haitian Creole Study Group

Postby iguanamon » Mon May 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Solèy wrote:Hey everyone this is my first post on here. Had to make an account to say thank you for that incredible resource drop on the front page!

Byenveni, Solèy! Deryen, Pa dekwa! Good to have you here. If I can help, please let me know.
1 x

Solèy
Languages: English (N), Haitian Creole (Learning)

Postby Solèy » Tue May 12, 2020 12:30 pm

iguanamon wrote:
Solèy wrote:Hey everyone this is my first post on here. Had to make an account to say thank you for that incredible resource drop on the front page!

Byenveni, Solèy! Deryen, Pa dekwa! Good to have you here. If I can help, please let me know.

Mèsi anpil!
2 x

George_Pig
Languages: English (N)
Tagalog (B2)
Spanish (B1)
Indonesian (A2)
Cebuano (A1)
Swahili (A0)
Jamaican Patwa (A0)
Hatian Creole (A0)

Postby George_Pig » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:23 pm

Hi all! I've just started on this journey! I'll be following the multi-track approach. (text books and courseware + a hefty dose of input) What are your all's favorite Haitian Youtubers?
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)

Postby iguanamon » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:30 pm

George_Pig wrote:...What are your all's favorite Haitian Youtubers?

Welcome to The forum, "George_Pig". I don't use youtube for HC much these days. I do like and follow Se Joe's youtube channel. He's a Haitian-American stand-up comic. I explore music, Vodou culture and religion, plus Christianity and Haitian History mostly outside youtube. However, I'm sure you can find some Haitian Creole youtuber in the conventional sense you'll like. I'd also recommend looking at Purangi's (an accomplished polyglot) log when he was learning the language (though he did have the advantage of being a native French-speaker) I wish you, bòn chans in your studies. If I can help you, please let me know.
4 x

George_Pig
Languages: English (N)
Tagalog (B2)
Spanish (B1)
Indonesian (A2)
Cebuano (A1)
Swahili (A0)
Jamaican Patwa (A0)
Hatian Creole (A0)

Postby George_Pig » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:26 pm

iguanamon wrote:
George_Pig wrote:...What are your all's favorite Haitian Youtubers?

Welcome to The forum, "George_Pig". I don't use youtube for HC much these days. I do like and follow Se Joe's youtube channel. He's a Haitian-American stand-up comic. I explore music, Vodou culture and religion, plus Christianity and Haitian History mostly outside youtube. However, I'm sure you can find some Haitian Creole youtuber in the conventional sense you'll like. I'd also recommend looking at Purangi's (an accomplished polyglot) log when he was learning the language (though he did have the advantage of being a native French-speaker) I wish you, bòn chans in your studies. If I can help you, please let me know.

With Tagalog I find that a lot of vloggers shine with occupational stuff, farming, electricianing, etc. I hope once I get better at Kreyol I can search in Kreyol for content. I read most of his topic but nothing caught my eye! Admittedly, I didn't listen to his posted music vids.

I've found that wattpad has Kreyol content. If you set the language to Other or French and do some searching you can find amateur poems and stories like this https://www.wattpad.com/699747258-lanmo ... av%C3%A8-w

I hope that helps people.
2 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:03 am

1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:53 pm

The word "lakou" can mean "backyard"; "courtyard"; "patio" also a "judicial court". "Kajou" is a mahogany tree- a large shady hardwood, relatively common across the Caribbean. So, given the website, I think it can be roughly translated as a "shady backyard under a mahogany tree"- a (relatively- it's still the tropics) cool, inviting, and pleasant place for people to gather, hang out and discuss. it also rhymes quite well.
2 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:40 pm

iguanamon wrote:The word "lakou" can mean "backyard"; "courtyard"; "patio" also a "judicial court". "Kajou" is a mahogany tree- a large shady hardwood, relatively common across the Caribbean. So, given the website, I think it can be roughly translated as a "shady backyard under a mahogany tree"- a (relatively- it's still the tropics) cool, inviting, and pleasant place for people to gather, hang out and discuss. it also rhymes quite well.

Cute title. I cannot find much about this TV show in English that is not behind a paywall. Does it play on public television in Haiti?
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:28 pm

I clicked on the website, briefly. I navigated to the page "Fè yon don"/Make a donation This site is run by a US based Christian mission, Third Sector New England. Making a donation gets you access "so that the show can run for free in Haiti".
Lakou Kajou wrote:Manm ki kontribye omwen $ 25, gen aksè difizyon tout epizòd pwogram LAKOU KAJOU a pandan douz mwa. Sipò ou ede nou distribiye pwogram lan gratis an Ayiti.

My translation: Members who contribute at least $25 have access to the broadcast of all program episodes of Lakou Kajou during 12 months. Your support helps us to distribute the program for free in Haiti. Hope this helps.
2 x

Decidida
Green Belt

Postby Decidida » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:54 am

iguanamon wrote:My translation: Members who contribute at least $25 have access to the broadcast of all program episodes of Lakou Kajou during 12 months. Your support helps us to distribute the program for free in Haiti. Hope this helps.

Very helpful! Thanks!
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”