Haitian Creole Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Re: Haitian Creole Study Group

Postby Decidida » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:14 am

0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:22 am

I have sent you a private message, Decidida.
0 x

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Creole is supposedly "easy" because it does not have conjugated verbs. Without verb drills, the student is denied the chance to gain automaticity and to master listening skills.

One of my libraries gives me a free subscription to Pronunciator. I have to skip all speaking exercises as something is wrong with my microphone or too much background noise or with me, but I cannot pass them. Skipping the exercises and completing all the non-microphone parts of the verb drills has increased my listening skills by leaps and bounds. Just a couple days of before and after is shocking me. I added the pronunciator lessons to my core checklist. Just WOW!
2 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:27 pm

I wanted to drop by and ask if anyone had the audio to Ann Pale Kreyol? As the Creole Institute at Indiana U has recently shut down, it's hard to get any of their resources anymore. I've been in contact with them, and they do not have the audio anymore so it seems (though they still sell the textbook apparently). If anyone is willing to share this now OOP audio, I would be more than grateful!
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)

Postby iguanamon » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:51 pm

I wrote: in the resources section
14) Ann Pale Kreyòl
The classic textbook with audio course from Indiana University is Ann Pale Kreyòl available free and legally via ERIC. The free ERIC version is the first edition. I downloaded it along with the audio when it was available a few years ago and never used it. I didn't need it. The audio for the free Eric edition is available for free and legal download at the IU CeLT site. I'm pretty sure there's a second, newer edition, for which I think IU is selling the audio. Since I never used either course, I can't vouch for it. Hurry to download the IU audio from their site if you think you may need it because it is about to be removed at some point soon.

I do not have the audio for the newer version nor do I know where it may be located. You might want to inquire at the University of Florida, Duke University and University of Kansas. Sorry I can't be of more help.
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:24 pm

I've also thought of getting in touch with the author. Certainly worth a try anyway. Thanks!

And I know that the audio is posted on the CeLT website, but it seems to require a login.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:11 pm

księżycowy wrote: ... And I know that the audio is posted on the CeLT website, but it seems to require a login.
Please forgive my intrusion in this conversation. I was just passing through when I noticed the comment on the CeLT website.

Sound files highlighted in BLUE are freely accessible by the the public. For reasons of copyright (refer to the notice), access to sound files highlighted in YELLOW is restricted to members of the faculty, to staff, to registered students and, I believe, to alumni. Access to these files requires a password. I would imagine that members of the language departments of other universities enjoy special privileges in accessing the YELLOW highlight sound files, but I'm not sure about this.
CeLT access.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:49 pm

Well, I emailed Dr. Valdman, so I'll see what happens over the next few days.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:52 am

Speakeasy wrote:
księżycowy wrote: ... And I know that the audio is posted on the CeLT website, but it seems to require a login.
Speakeasy wrote:...Sound files highlighted in BLUE are freely accessible by the the public. For reasons of copyright (refer to the notice), access to sound files highlighted in YELLOW is restricted to members of the faculty, to staff, to registered students and, I believe, to alumni. Access to these files requires a password. ...

Speakeasy is indeed correct! You can download the audio for free, but not the text.
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:26 am

The files are yellow, which means they require a IU login to download. It is rather unfortunate. Especially now that the Creole Institute has closed.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Study Groups”