Classical Languages - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Re: Classical Languages - Study Group

Postby n_j_f » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 am

vonPeterhof wrote:
n_j_f wrote:Out of interest for anyone studying Old Church Slavonic or has studied this in the past, which resources did you use? The only thing in English that seems to be available are a few grammars. I imagine that there is more available in Russian and other Slavic languages. Any recommendations for Russian language courses to learn OCS?

I used Старославянский язык: учебное пособие (Old Church Slavonic: a Tutorial) by Г.А. Турбин and С.Г. Шулежкова (G.A. Turbin, S.G. Shulezhkova). As far as materials in English go, I know the University of Texas has the introduction to its course available online. It seems pretty good from what I've seen, though it probably won't take you very far.

Старославянский язык: учебное пособие
sounds exactly like what I was looking for and was hoping would exist in Russian. Now I just have to get my Russian up to scratch.

This is probably a stupid question since "church" is in the name, but are all OCS texts religious? Are there exist any historical records or 'literary' texts (for want of a better word) in OCS, or collection of legends and folk tales?
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm sure everyone who has already commented here and other members who are already studying a classical language already knows about this. In case, some new member hasn't already heard about it, Teach Yourself has a series of books on Ancient Languages.

Available Now
Ancient Greek
Babylonian
Biblical Hebrew
Latin
Middle Egyptian
New Testament Greek
Old English (Anglo Saxon)
Sanskrit

New Edition Publication Dates
Babylonian (October 2018)
Biblical Hebrew (June 2020)
Old English (Anglo Saxon) (April 2019)
Sanskrit (October 2020)

New Edition Publication Dates
Babylonian (October 2018)
Biblical Hebrew (June 2020)
Old English (Anglo Saxon) (April 2019)
Sanskrit (October 2020)

EDIT: Updated as per TY website
Last edited by aravinda on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
7 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:59 pm

n_j_f wrote:This is probably a stupid question since "church" is in the name, but are all OCS texts religious? Are there exist any historical records or 'literary' texts (for want of a better word) in OCS, or collection of legends and folk tales?

The more or less "pure" OCS corpus (as opposed to later developments into Church Slavonic) isn't that large to begin with and yes, pretty much all of that literature is religious and specifically Christian. But then, written Old Russian/Old East Slavic was pretty strongly influenced by OCS, so reading something like the Primary Chronicle shouldn't be too hard after getting a good grasp of OCS. Not sure about the other older Slavic languages.
5 x

Steve
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Spanish (Intermediate), Ancient Greek (Intermediate), Hebrew (Beginner), ASL (Beginner), German (Beginner)

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:47 am

I'll hop in and keep track of this group as well. I'm working on ancient Greek and Hebrew.
3 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 am

Welcome to the tribe, Anya and Steve ! Good to have you on board! :)
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

peter
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Studying:
Bengali (mostly harmless)
German (beginner)
Latin (beginner)

Postby peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 pm

I shall also join in, with a focus on Latin. This is a bit tentative as I'm at the very beginning with Latin, and I doubt I'll progress more than slowly. But it's also a language I would like to know, and I find working on it enjoyable, in an intellectual way. Hopefully the group will be a place to ask any questions I have.

Currently, I have Wheelock's book, and I've worked through the first four or five chapters. I also have Lingua Latina - Familia Romana, because it looked like fun. Again, I've gone through the first few chapters. It is fun, as it's pages of latin to read, but I'm skeptical that it can stand alone. (I struggle with the 'guess the word from context' approach. It doesn't always work for me in English, else why do I have a dictionary? So I don't see how it will work in a language I'm learning.)
3 x
"strange accents do not mar fair speech" - Beregond, Return of the King.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)

Postby Josquin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Salve peter and welcome to our group! I hope learning Latin with us will be an enjoyable experience. :)
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Josquin wrote:Salve peter and welcome to our group! I hope learning Latin with us will be an enjoyable experience. :)

Shouldn't that be Salve Petre? ;)

I drop by just to say that I will follow this group with interest. I've studied Latin and Greek in the past. My Greek is mostly forgotten but I can read stuff in Latin as long as it is not too complex. I haven't really given much time to Latin lately though, and although I kind of miss it, won't be able to find the time for it, so I am not joining the group (yet). I do wish all of you good luck and good progress with your Classical studies though.

Edit: I should also say that Old Church Slavonic is on my list once my Russian is at the level I want it to be. I've already spent some time looking at parallel Bible texts in OCS and Russian, and it's something I want to do more of in the near future.
2 x
Ich grolle nicht

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Ogrim wrote:
Josquin wrote:Salve peter and welcome to our group! I hope learning Latin with us will be an enjoyable experience. :)

Shouldn't that be Salve Petre? ;)

You'll laugh, but I actually thought about using the vocative here... :lol: However, I dismissed the idea, because I feared no one would get the point and only think it was a typo. :D

Anyway, great that you swang by, Ogrim! We'd be glad to have you if you ever decided to go back (or forward) to a classical language. How about Classical Arabic? I think it's not that far away from MSA. ;)
2 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Hello!

I have been working on Latin daily since the Christmas holidays. I had actually planned to put Latin on hold, but right now I find that spending time on it is fun :)

I think I am a false beginner (?). Two of my kids took Latin in high school, and I used their Latin for the New Millennium (LNM) Book 1 to about 80% completion. Right now, I am working through Lingua Latina while drilling myself on the forms. I am currently on Chapter 7. I'm moving slowly and taking my time. Once in a while, I read from LNM.
4 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Return to “Study Groups”