Classical Languages - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: Classical Languages - Study Group

Postby Josquin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:43 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Josquin wrote:Didn't you do some Old Irish some time ago?

Yes, I did (and I also mentioned it in my post above).

Oops, my bad! :oops:
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:47 pm

Count me in. I'm actively studying Pali right now, but have resources for Old Irish and Latin. I'd love to get to the first one eventually, and Latin would be cool, but it's a way off right now. I'm currently looking for online Pali courses similar to what Josquin found for Sanskrit. I've found a couple of (US-based) universities that offer it, and will likely reach out to them soon.
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 am

galaxyrocker wrote:Count me in. I'm actively studying Pali right now, but have resources for Old Irish and Latin. I'd love to get to the first one eventually, and Latin would be cool, but it's a way off right now. I'm currently looking for online Pali courses similar to what Josquin found for Sanskrit. I've found a couple of (US-based) universities that offer it, and will likely reach out to them soon.
Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies runs a Pali course by Professor Richard Gombrich. The January course has already started but one can keep in touch with them by subscribing to their newsletter. At first, I thought you were looking for a free course (like the Cambridge Introduction to Sanskrit course) - that's why I didn't think of suggesting this in the first place.
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 am

I would prefer a free course, but paid wouldn't mind paid if I can fit it into my schedule. Sadly, it doesn't look like the Oxford one will, unless they change the time, or offer it during the summer. Thanks though!
1 x

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:41 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:Count me in. I'm actively studying Pali right now, but have resources for Old Irish and Latin. I'd love to get to the first one eventually, and Latin would be cool, but it's a way off right now. I'm currently looking for online Pali courses similar to what Josquin found for Sanskrit. I've found a couple of (US-based) universities that offer it, and will likely reach out to them soon.

Out of interest, how big is the jump from Modern Irish to Old Irish? Is it akin to someone today reading or listening to Shakespeare, or more like Chaucer or even Beowulf? If I ever make it through my Irish studies, it could be interesting to read Old Irish material.
0 x

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Josquin wrote:
@n_j_f: This group was originally intended as a study group for The Cambridge Introduction to Sanskrit, but after some input from aravinda and igunanmon, I decided to make a study group for all classical languages out of it. We can discuss the CIS here, if you like (In fact, I'm using it right now. I'm already on lesson 8). Of course, you can also start a separate group if you'd prefer that, but I'd like giving this group a shot first. If you'd like to join, just say so. ;)

Hi there

Our study idea was more off-line for the time being so I haven't really considered a study group. Updates and interactions would just be on language logs, email, maybe Whatsapp and/or Facebook and having discussions on this study group. Although my other classical language are either on the backburner or in my bucket list, it's great to read the posts about what other people are doing.

Sorry, I always assumed "joining" a study group just meant posting on the forum :lol: Sure, sign me up!

Out of interest for anyone studying Old Church Slavonic or has studied this in the past, which resources did you use? The only thing in English that seems to be available are a few grammars. I imagine that there is more available in Russian and other Slavic languages. Any recommendations for Russian language courses to learn OCS?
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:39 pm

n_j_f wrote:
Out of interest, how big is the jump from Modern Irish to Old Irish? Is it akin to someone today reading or listening to Shakespeare, or more like Chaucer or even Beowulf? If I ever make it through my Irish studies, it could be interesting to read Old Irish material.

From what I've looked at so far, I'd say it's probably between Beowulf and Chaucer. There's some words you can recognize easily, especially nouns and conjunctions, etc. but the verbal system is a whole different beast. It's ridiculously complex morphologically compared to MI. Pretty much all verbs have a dependent and independent form, instead of just the six or so that exist in MI (varies by dialect). And that's without getting into the sound system of OI, which can be a huge mess given the fact that lenition is often unmarked and such.
6 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:58 pm

n_j_f wrote:Out of interest for anyone studying Old Church Slavonic or has studied this in the past, which resources did you use? The only thing in English that seems to be available are a few grammars. I imagine that there is more available in Russian and other Slavic languages. Any recommendations for Russian language courses to learn OCS?

I used Старославянский язык: учебное пособие (Old Church Slavonic: a Tutorial) by Г.А. Турбин and С.Г. Шулежкова (G.A. Turbin, S.G. Shulezhkova). As far as materials in English go, I know the University of Texas has the introduction to its course available online. It seems pretty good from what I've seen, though it probably won't take you very far.

For reading materials and sentence mining in both Cyrillic and Glagolitic there's Goethe University Frankfurt's TITUS text database (you need to click on "Text Database" in the left-hand column). There's also stuff for lots of other classical languages - and not just Indo-European ones, in spite of what the name of the resource stands for. This Bulgarian reader has also come in handy for Old Testament texts in OCS.
4 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Welcome to the group, galaxyrocker and n_j_f ! Good to have you. :D

I will start collecting resources, so if anyone has some good suggestions for learning material, I'd be glad if you posted it here.
1 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:15 pm

I would like to join, studying Latin, Ancient Greek and Sanskrit.
3 x

Return to “Study Groups”