Classical Languages - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: Classical Languages - Study Group

Postby Teango » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Sanskrit...IGCSE...what an amazing option, aravinda!

When I was in secondary school in the UK (Late Quaternary Period), our only GCSE language options were French and German, and taking both was not only rarely ever considered, but looked upon by both students and faculty alike as something subversive, suspicious, and strange.

Back then, German was the new kid on the block and on tentative probation, while French was more firmly entrenched as a compulsory subject which students would take over the next 5 years. Keep in mind, however, that French was brought in earlier to try and comprehensively oust the (previously compulsory) Latin of former grammar school yore (after Oxford and Cambridge no longer required Latin for their entrance exams).

I was lucky to be included in an experimental year that adopted German as a compulsory subject (which they've sadly since dropped altogether), and being a language nerd of "subversive, suspicious, and strange" persuasions, joined a small band of rebellious young reprobates to tack on French in our final year of school as well (because...well...to hell with convention!)

I'm just blown away by the sheer diversity of languages you can study nowadays at GCSE/IGCSE and A Level, which almost (but not quite) makes me want to sit a bunch more! :)
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 pm

Iversen wrote:
IronMike wrote:How's their Old English?

The 'yellow' version of the Old English book from TY (by Leslie Blakeley) was first published in 1964, and I own the reprint from 1978. And in spite of being a slender little thing it seems to be reasonably thorough and systematic. It has however been replaced by a newer book by Mark Atherton, and I simply don't know what that is like. If things have changed in the usual direction there is more fun and games and less information on more pages than in the old one (oh, yes I'm a grumpy old man, but that's the direction in which the TY textbooks normally change these days).

The Atherton book is actually quite good. It has audio, which is of course helpful, and it functions something like an anthropological reader with primary source documents (e.g. bits from the chronicle, the bible, etc. all in cultural contexts). I'm slowly going through it when I have the chance to and have not come across any games yet. There are activities like creating Old English names and discovering the etymology of English town names, though, and so far little in the way of drilling cases/conjugations. I'd like to pick up the Blakeley book soon, but OE isn't a big deal for me right now. When I'm at the office I peruse an Anglo-Saxon grammar on Gutenberg, but I find I need to internalize more of the language before going to strict grammar work.

@IronMike - TYS Old Norse you say???
2 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Salvete. Ego neuper ad forum reveni et congregationem vestram me jungere vult. Ut potestis videre, linguam latinam disco nunc. In additione, poste linguam graecam antiquam discere incepturus sum ad universitate.

Quoque hunc cantum admirandum in latine mediaevale inveni et credidi vos eum uti.

Hello all. I recently returned to this forum and would like to join your group. As you can see, I am now studying Latin, in addition, I shall soon start Ancient Greek at my university.

Also, I found this beautiful mediaeval Latin song which I thought you would like.
Last edited by PfifltriggPi on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Iversen wrote:And by the way: the word "ὀξὺς" in the quote from Hippokrates reminded me of an excellent TV documentary series that describes a now lost river by that name on which Alexander and his army may have sailed. But it seems that this meaning of the word has been forgotten - my Dhimotikí-Danish dictionary only know it as an adjective meaning "sharp" or "acrid".

The Oxus River is very much still around, and is today known by its Persian name, Amu Darya.
1 x

MCK74
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Studying: Spanish (intermediate) German (beginner) Latin (beginner)

Postby MCK74 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:14 pm

I didn't read all the posts, sorry if someone has already posted this, but there are lessons in several Indo-European languages, including several classical languages, on the University of Texas site -

https://lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol

Classical languages

Latin
Greek (classical and NT)
Old English
Old French
Old Norse
Gothic
Old Church Slavonic
Old Russian
Old Irish
Old Iranian
Sanskrit
Hittite
Tocharian

They also have Albanian, Baltic languages and Armenian. Most of the courses seem to have about 10 lessons.

I've used the Old English and Old Norse courses a little and liked them.

Edit - vonPeterhof mentions the Old Slavonic course on the second page
7 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Beowulf Online

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:38 am

Three sources online for Beowulf:
1. Electronic Beowulf Online Fourth Edition (http://ebeowulf.uky.edu/ebeo4.0/start.html). Kevin Kiernan has edited all the editions. The text is accompanied by an oral reading and a copy of the manuscript.
2. Murray McGillivray site at the University of Calgary. (http://people.ucalgary.ca/~mmcgilli/OEReader/Beowfram.htm). Clicking on the text brings up a translation of the Old English term on the bottom part of the screen. The annotated text stops at line 1062, and the last change to the page was in 2007.
3. Beowulf on Steorarume [Cyberspace] (http://www.heorot.dk/beo-intro-rede.html) by Benjamin Slade. Side by side with Old English on the left and a Modern English translation by Slade on the right. Some of the words in the translation have an annotation.
5 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: Beowulf Online

Postby David1917 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:48 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Three sources online for Beowulf:
1. Electronic Beowulf Online Fourth Edition (http://ebeowulf.uky.edu/ebeo4.0/start.html). Kevin Kiernan has edited all the editions. The text is accompanied by an oral reading and a copy of the manuscript.

This is something I can get excited about! It allows you to download the first few minutes, got to try and figure out how to download the whole thing. I need more extensive Old English audio.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Beowulf Online

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:12 am

David1917 wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:
This is something I can get excited about! It allows you to download the first few minutes, got to try and figure out how to download the whole thing. I need more extensive Old English audio.

There are two readings of Beowulf that I know of:
    1. A Pearl CD read by Trevor Eaton. I see that it is not available through Amazon, but eBay or some other re-seller may have it.
    2. A Caedmon Cassette (!) by J. B. Bessinger, Jr., of Beowulf, Caedmon's Hymn, The Dream of the Rood, The Wanderer, The Battle of Burnan Burg, A Wife's Lament and selections only from Beowulf: lines 1-125, 195-225, 702-852 and 3137-3180. Amazon offers an Audible version of this, but it is not clear whether the Audible version includes the shorter poems.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MCK74
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Studying: Spanish (intermediate) German (beginner) Latin (beginner)

Postby MCK74 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm

I received Lingua Latina yesterday and have been using it. I love it right now.

For those who are unfamiliar with this method, it's a book written entirely in Latin that follows the natural approach, which is a method that I personally find very helpful.

This video discusses Lingua Latina and other courses

5 x

Austin K.
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), Greek (beginner) Spanish (beginner)

Postby Austin K. » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:45 am

Am glad to see this group, it would really help me in my religious formation
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”