Classical Languages - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Classical Languages - Study Group

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:26 pm

tractor wrote:You’ll find the answer in the very first post in this thread.

Ah wow I feel like an idiot. I even read that at one point, though I haven't looked at the first post in a while. Mea culpa!
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:14 am

I'm not sure where else to dump this, so I'll put it here. A free pdf Old English textbook, enjoy!
https://hdl.handle.net/2022/25547
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Beosweyne
Yellow Belt
Languages: En (L1), Fr (A2), Af (A1), Ar (beg.), Zu (beg.)
Ancient:
La (A2), Gr (A2), Eg (beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16342

Postby Beosweyne » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:43 pm

księżycowy wrote:I'm not sure where else to dump this, so I'll put it here. A free pdf Old English textbook, enjoy!
https://hdl.handle.net/2022/25547

I bought the print version of Fulk's book few years ago after reading these, glowing, reviews. It sits on my shelf waiting for the day I finally decide to learn OE :lol:

To quote one reviewer, it is "aimed at graduate students & advanced undergraduates... with its level of philological detail, this textbook requires a student with a keen linguistic interest & is not likely to appeal to students who are just starting out." Nor does it come with answers to exercises.
3 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:16 pm

Beosweyne wrote:I bought the print version of Fulk's book few years ago after reading these, glowing, reviews. It sits on my shelf waiting for the day I finally decide to learn OE :lol:

To quote one reviewer, it is "aimed at graduate students & advanced undergraduates... with its level of philological detail, this textbook requires a student with a keen linguistic interest & is not likely to appeal to students who are just starting out." Nor does it come with answers to exercises.

Yeah, I've heard it's well reviewed. I probably wouldn't start with Fulk, but it's nice to have in addition to my other resources.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English

Postby RyanSmallwood » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:01 pm

Someone turned the public domain Ollendorff style Ancient Greek Course into an Anki deck with audio. I would say this is by far the best beginner ancient greek resource with audio at the moment. The audio quality itself is not perfect, but a lot better than I was expecting for a random deck showing up on Anki. It seems like they were probably using the deck as they were creating it as the sentences aren't precisely in order of difficulty. For the most part though the early sentences are easier ones, and anyone using this as a complete beginner can probably just suspend the occasional sentences that are too difficult until they're ready. But anyone whose studied other Greek resources probably won't have too many issues and this is a great way to solidify your foundation.

Comes at a pretty perfect time for my studies, as I am too focused elsewhere to really seriously study Ancient Greek at the moment and was just doing some Modern Greek with Anki + occasional Listening-Reading of Modern and Ancient Greek with limited audio available. But using this deck is definitely allowing me to improve my foundation in Ancient Greek, so I won't be totally starting from scratch when I can focus on it more.

Should also mention for anyone who missed it Ioannis Stratakis did audio recently for Beresford & Douglas's First Greek Reader and allowing people to name their own price for it. Its only 1 hour and 46 minutes, but always good to have more high quality beginner friendly Ancient Greek recordings available.
10 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:07 pm

RyanSmallwood wrote:Should also mention for anyone who missed it Ioannis Stratakis did audio recently for Beresford & Douglas's First Greek Reader and allowing people to name their own price for it. Its only 1 hour and 46 minutes, but always good to have more high quality beginner friendly Ancient Greek recordings available.
Stratakis's voice provides splendid audio for Ancient Greek. Thanks for the heads-up.
IIRC, someone suggested to Geoffrey Steadman that he should create one of his Ancient Greek commentaries for a reader like this (remember that his commentaries do not have audio). AFAIK, Prof. Steadman has not yet done so, but his Fabulae Ab Urbe Condita and Ritchie's Fabulae Faciles work this way for Latin.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:06 pm

Here is a free Egyptian textbook. I've only briefly clicked through it, but it looks decent (if not great).

https://www.academia.edu/1330891/Hierog ... ition_2015
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:19 pm

I just found a YouTube channel run by Studia Latinitatis in Freiburg. All videos seem to be recordings of Latin literature, from Cicero to Virgil to Politianus. In the two videos I sampled, the reader's German accent was noticeable but not unpleasant. I'm impressed by the quantity of material already available.
8 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:18 am

Herodotean wrote:from Cicero to Virgil to Politianus.

I hope one day we will start seeing Latin YouTube channels all about Medieval, Renaissance, and Neo Latin — this would be a real life changer.
5 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:58 pm

Geoffrey Steadman recently posted a pdf of Book 6 of The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides.

This beta edition includes the text and commentary for Thucydides’ Peloponnesian War Book 6. Each of the 209 pages includes 10 lines of Greek text (Jones and Powell’s OCT edition) with corresponding vocabulary and grammatical notes arranged below the text on the same page.

This draft includes running core vocabulary (words occurring 7 or more times) in the introduction and an alphabetized list of the same words in the glossary.

From the Cambridge site,
Book 6 features tense debates both at Athens, with cautious Nicias no match for risk-taking Alcibiades, and at Syracuse, with the statesmanlike Hermocrates confronting the populist Athenagoras. The spectacle of the armada is memorably described; so is the panic at Athens when people fear that acts of sacrilege may be alienating the gods, with Alcibiades himself so implicated that he is soon recalled. The Book ends with Athens seeming poised for victory;

FWIW, the Perseus site has a running commentary of Book 6 by E. C. Marchant.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Study Groups”