Classical Languages - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Re: Classical Languages - Study Group

Postby lichtrausch » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:08 pm

Someone asked Bing Chat "what are four sentences that I could send back in time to Ancient Rome, and that they would understand, to teach them technologies which could prevent Rome’s collapse?"

https://oneusefulthing.substack.com/p/feats-to-astonish-and-amaze
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:33 pm

I believe the Romans did have pumps, I remember watching a documentary that explained how the tools used by a Roman fire brigade worked.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:15 pm

The best message to send back to the early Romans to prevent later collapse is: Cavete ab Christianis!
1 x

Klatoan
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (2nd language), German (beginner), Sanskrit (interested).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18993

Postby Klatoan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:42 am

Greetings!

It was an honour to read the thread. It has some rather good posts in it. A special thanks to all those that submitted sanskrit learning book titles and links to free content online. Other posts that I appreciated were about the process of learning languages.

After having read some books written by René Guénon it is my ambition to keep on getting closer to the traditional literature on such subjects as metaphysics and initiation, symbolism, cosmology, traditional sciences, the cycles and the ages therein, and ancient (pre-)history.

Needless to say then, a little sanskrit would be better than none, right? If the great René hasn't effectively misinformed me, then the most complete metaphysical literature is written in sanskrit.

David1917 wrote:If you want more reading practice, there are a handful of really great books out there already. Peter Scharf's Ramopakhyana is what I see recommended the most, and Egene's Introduction to Sanskrit as well.

I just looked up Peter Scharf's book in the online bookstore, and it appears that it's a complete reader of a very popular story in the Mahabharata, with comments, prose sanskrit alongside the verses, grammar, information, and English translation. It sounds rather interesting and it is extremely expensive to buy. But it does say that it's intended for readers who have already completed an introduction to sanskrit, so it's not a beginner then.

Posts in this thread were a lot about (Teach Yourself) Complete Sanskrit, but I didn't get the impression that those who did try it are satisfied with it. Is that correct? I understand that a new edition is due this year, perhaps, but is there any particular reason for expecting it to be great?

Besides Egenes's Introduction to Sanskrit, is anything else to be recommended as a primer?

If anyone out there is interested in or proficient to some degree in sanskrit for the purpose of understanding metaphysics, then it would be an honour for me to get acquainted with you. If you know sanskrit and/or hindi and would like to have mercy on someone who doesn't, that would likewise be an honour for me.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu May 25, 2023 2:20 am

I asked ChatGPT Plus to write a short poem in Ancient Greek. Here is its response.
I was surprised by the diacritics, because the last time I asked for something in Ancient Greek, its response came with the markings of Modern Greek.

My Prompt

can you write an original poem in ancient greek with English translation

ChatGPT

Certainly! Here's an original poem in Ancient Greek along with its English translation:

Ἀστέρες λάμπουσιν ἐν αἰθέρι χρυσόεντι,
Ἁβρὰ δὲ πνεύματα κυμαίνονται ποταμῶν,
Καὶ φύλλα κινοῦνται ἐν ὕλῃ παμφανέῃ.
Ἄνθεα ὁ κόσμος γεύεται ποικίλων ὄντων,
Καὶ γλυκὺς ὁ κρότος τῶν μελεδώντων ὀρνίθων.
Ἡ φύσις ἐκτείνεται ποιήσαι τὰ ωραία,
Καί μουσάων χάριν ποιητὴς προφαίνεται.

Maybe not Euripides, but its better than I could do.

Stars shine in the golden sky,
Gentle breezes sway the rivers,
And leaves flutter in the verdant forest.
The world delights in diverse blooms,
And sweet is the melody of singing birds.

And something in Classical Latin a la Catullus:

Here's a short poem in classical Latin in the style of Catullus:

Iucundum nobis est amorem tacitus colere,
Puellae oculos ardentes avertere,
Suo clamorem molli risu supprimere,
Et rosae teneris digitis palpere.
Dulcis est etiam suavius susurrare,
Et mutua basia nocte furtim furare,
Vel dextrae tenere furtive sub veste,
Tantum ut amoris nos puto esse reus.

English Translation:

It is delightful for us to cultivate love in silence,
To avert the passionate gaze of the girl,
To suppress her outcry with a gentle laugh,
And to touch the roses with tender fingers.
It is sweet and even sweeter to whisper softly,
And to steal mutual kisses in the night,
Or to secretly hold hands beneath the garment,
So that I believe we are guilty of love.

Please note that while I have attempted to write in the style of Catullus, I cannot guarantee the exact accuracy or style as it is generated by an AI language model.
ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT May 12 Version
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:40 pm

Globalgeschichte der Griechen
Eine Globalgeschichte Griechenlands? Der heutige Staat um die Hauptstadt Athen macht mit knapp elf Millionen Einwohnern etwas mehr als ein Promille der Weltbevölkerung aus. Es gibt ihn erst seit weniger als zweihundert Jahren, zudem anfangs mit einem deutlich kleineren Territorium als heute. Dennoch spannt Roderick Beaton, Professor in London und ein Kenner des byzantinischen und modernen Hellas, seine Erzählung von der Bronzezeit bis in die Gegenwart. Den Kern der historischen Kontinuität sucht er in den Menschen, genauer: den Sprechern der griechischen Sprache.

Allerdings übergeht er dabei weitgehend die Frage nach den tiefgreifenden Wandlungsprozessen des antiken hellenischen Idioms während der byzantinischen Epoche sowie der vierhundert Jahre währenden osmanischen Herrschaft über den Südbalkan. Unerwähnt bleibt der gelehrte Außenseiter Jakob Philipp Fallmerayer, der den philhellenischen Zeitgeist des neunzehnten Jahrhunderts störte, indem er durch die Analyse von Orts- und Flussnamen nachzuweisen suchte, die auf der Peloponnes siedelnden Menschen seiner Zeit seien nicht etwa Abkömmlinge der antiken Hellenen, sondern stammten von Albanern und Slawen ab, die während des Mittelalters dort eine neue Heimat gefunden hatten. Die neugriechische Nationalität ruhe, so seine These, auf einem von den alten Griechen ganz verschiedenen, slawisch-balkanisch dominierten Völkergemisch.

Auch wenn Fallmerayer wütende Kritik erfuhr oder ignoriert wurde, so hatte er doch einen Punkt getroffen. Denn lange blieb in der Tat strittig, ob die neuen Griechen, auch die Elite, die im Land gesprochene Sprache (Demotiki) mit ihren Dialekten benutzen sollte oder eine ‚reine‘, von Philologen geschaffene Sprache, die Katharevusa, die sich in Lexik und Morphologie stark am Altgriechischen ausrichtete. Formal bestand diese besondere Zweisprachigkeit bis vor knapp fünfzig Jahren; allerdings hatten praktische Erfordernisse da längst eine Annäherung bewirkt, und die heute gebräuchliche Koini Neoelliniki ist eine Synthese aus den beiden einander lange gegenüberstehenden Paradigmen.
0 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:00 pm

Possibly of interest: the newly digitized Lexicon Magnum Latino-Sinicum. More information at a 2019 blog post and today's announcement.

ETA: the second blog post.
4 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:09 pm

New Latin YouTube channel with readings of Evagrius Magister and Latin by Nature Method!!! Ecclesiastical pronunciation.

https://www.youtube.com/@via.latina/playlists
8 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:49 pm

A Greek-English Lexicon* includes the following listing:

Εἰδέχθεια, ή, odious, ugly look, LXXWi.16.3, Ph.1.38.

The abbreviation LXXWi refers to the book Wisdom of Solomon in the Septuagint.

* George Liddell, Robert Scott, Henry Stuart Jones, 9th ed. 1996: Oxford, page 1178.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:40 pm

A new series of bilingual neo-Latin texts: Bloomsbury Neo-Latin Series: Early Modern Texts and Anthologies.
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”