Islandhoppers

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
marie39
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Malay

Re: Islandhoppers

Postby marie39 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 pm

I don't know how active this still is but I just saw it recently and I wanted to write something in Malay. I also recorded myself even though my spoken Malay is so bad. Corrections are welcomed. it's been a while since I studied Malay though.

Nature
Beginner:
Describe the nature in your area / tell us your favourite thing about nature

Saya dari negara Amerika dan saya hidup di New England. Musim luruh sangat popular di kawasan ini. Pokok-pokok sangat cantik kerana duan-duanan adalah banyak warna. Hari-hari berangin dan suhu sejuk.

Juga alam semula jadi di kawasan ini sangat cantik. Adalah banyak jejak yang orang-orang boleh berjalan dengan pemandangan alam cantik. Adalah gunung-gunung, tasik-tasik dan glasier-glasier (sungai ais). Taman botani di sebelah bandar saya juga. Saya suka melihat bunga-bunga.

Audio
2 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:34 am

Is this thing still going on?
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

marie39
Yellow Belt

Postby marie39 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:19 am

Ccaesar wrote:Is this thing still going on?

It doesn't look like it. I can post some prompts here if anyone is interesting and no one minds. Or I can make a new thread but that seems unnecessary? I've been doing a lot of journaling so I can come up with a few writing prompts.
2 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:08 pm

I'm in. I need to improve my vocabulary, but I need some sort of spark to get me going.
Recently I downloaded antconc and I feed it texts about topics I want to be able to talk about. Look for topic specific words and phrases. Look them up. Add them to anki, go them through.
0 x

marie39
Yellow Belt

Postby marie39 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Here are a couple of prompts that I've come up with. I did recently write about my thoughts and feelings on the Coronavirus in my personal journal so one of the prompts is related to illness. There's a second prompt in case anyone is stressed out and needs a break from the coronavirus talk.

Illness
Option 1: Describe ways you can stay safe when dealing with illness.
Option 2: Describe a time when you were sick and what did you do (go to the doctor/take medicine/miss school/etc.).
Option 3: Do you feel that your country is doing enough to help stop the spread of the coronavirus/COVID-19? Describe what your country is doing to combat this virus. Are people in your local city or town following your country's suggestions or rules?
Option 4: What kind of healthcare system does your country have? Is it working? Do you think your country needs to change how they handle healthcare?

Home
Option 1: If you could live anywhere, where would you live and why?
Option 2: Describe your home. Do you live in a house or an apartment? Do you live with other people? Describe one or more of the rooms in your home.
Option 3: Some people don't have a home and either live on the street, in their car or at a shelter. What does your country/city/town do to help the homeless? Do you think they do enough to help people in such a difficult situation?
3 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:04 pm

Should we send it to you or how does this work? :D
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:46 am

Ccaesar wrote:Should we send it to you or how does this work? :D

You just post your text here in this thread, like people did earlier.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 am

I don't want to fill the entire thread, so I answered several of your options as concise as possible.
Illness
Option 1: Describe ways you can stay safe when dealing with illness.
Ovviamente ci sono diversi modi per evitare di ammalarsi. Un modo è rimanere sano per mantere il sistema immunitario.
In questo caso attuale si debba rimanere a casa, evitare contatto con persone e agire con cauzione.

Option 2: Describe a time when you were sick and what did you do (go to the doctor/take medicine/miss school/etc.).
Il sistema scolastico è molto “duro” nel suo atteggiamento verso assenza, quindi ho spesso dovuto andare alla scuola o all’università senza sentirmi bene. In generale un colpo di tosse è considerato normale in Danimarca a causa dell’ambiente, magari questo si cambia dopo il virus.

Option 3: Do you feel that your country is doing enough to help stop the spread of the coronavirus/COVID-19? Describe what your country is doing to combat this virus. Are people in your local city or town following your country's suggestions or rules?
Per la maggioranza delle persone direi di sì, però ci sono dei casi, in particolare tra giovani e nuovi genitori che si incontrano in gruppi.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”