Islandhoppers

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Islandhoppers

Postby Ani » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 am

Oh I just found this group. I'd like to join! Love the name too. It makes me very happy :)
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

languist
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 am

Hellooo!! I'm so sorry about the huge gap in productivity here; my life was suddenly insane for a while. Evidently, that was the worst time for me to start a group like this, but in my defence, the madness I was dealing with was quite unexpected. :?

First of all, I'm just reading through all the 'nature' entries now, and I'm truly so happy to see such engagement and how much work everyone put in, it's just so nice to see that this is something helpful for people - and of course, always inspiring to see fellow language learners working hard and creating good content (and also, so helpfully correcting each other!) across a variety of languages.

I really am regretful that we weren't able to immediately get some momentum with this group, again I apologise, but hopefully you'll all still be interested now that we're back to our regular programming (which will be 1-2 prompts a week). (:

*Nostalgia
      Beginner:
      Describe an item which inspires nostalgic memories for you
      Intermediate:
      Going into detail about the emotional experience, describe a memory you hold dear
      Advanced:
      Compare aspects of your life/society today with the past, and comment on what has changed for the better/worse - or - describe a time where feeling strong nostalgia had an impact on your life

* answer in written posts or audio posts !
      * challenge: watch your tenses ! does your target language treat tense in the same way as your native?
      * suggested vocabulary: nostalgia, memory, wistful, happiness, sadness, fondness, peaceful, longing, excitement, childhood, past, nowadays, journey, time, family, friends, to remember, to recall, to imagine, to dream, to cherish, change, progress, loss, etc

1 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 am

Ani wrote:Oh I just found this group. I'd like to join! Love the name too. It makes me very happy :)

Welcome, Ani!!! :D We are very glad to have you!

languist wrote:
I really am regretful that we weren't able to immediately get some momentum with this group, again I apologise, but hopefully you'll all still be interested now that we're back to our regular programming (which will be 1-2 prompts a week). (:

*Nostalgia

Welcome back, languist! :) I love the new prompt! If you'd like, I'm sure we could arrange it so that the group shared in prompt-giving duties. This would help relieve some of the pressure off of you and also increase the feeling of ownership in the group by other members.
0 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm

I will hop in and out of this island group. Great idea!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

kujichagulia
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), Portuguese (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=858

Postby kujichagulia » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:49 am

OK, here are my two islands for Japanese. I'll attempt Portuguese in the future. Any corrections are most welcome!

(1) NATURE (intermediate)
Plan and describe a trip to your dream outdoor destination.

私は特にどこへ行きたいか分からないだが、きれいビーチや温かい天気があるひっこんで自然の所に行きたい。小さい家があって、ビーチに近くて通いやすい所なら一番いいだと思う。その場所をヤシの木などの草木に囲っている。 海はきれいな青色です。

本を読んで、トロピカルの音楽を聴いて、ハンモックに横になっている私を想像できます。時々本を下に置いて, 数分の水泳のために海を歩く. ごはんはフルーツや野菜がたっぷりです。

I don't know specifically where I want to go, but I want to go to a secluded, natural place with a nice beach and warm weather. It would be a place with a small hut not far from the beach, with easy access. The area would be surrounded by lush vegetation, such as palm trees. The sea would be a beautiful blue color.

I see myself lying on a hammock, reading a nice book and listening to tropical music. Every now and then, I'll put the book down and wade into the sea for a few minutes of swimming. The meals would be full of fruits and vegetables.

(2) NOSTALGIA (intermediate)
Going into detail about the emotional experience, describe a memory you hold dear.

私は子供の時、自損がなかった。だが、高校の一年、自分に信じることが起こった。その年で体育の授業中、数週間野球を学んで遊んでいた。 私はスポーツが好きだが、スポーツをするの方はあまり上手じゃないんだ。その授業では野球も上手じゃなかったんだ。 ボールを打とうとみたとき、他の男子は私に笑った。 私の打順のとき、彼らは「絶対三振だよ! 見て、見て!」と言った。毎回三振かフライアウトをして、男子は大笑いをしちゃった。でも、なんだか頑張って続いた。 で、授業の野球の最終日にはホームランを打った. 他の男子は飛んでいる球を見ていると突然笑いを止めた。 「ホームランして信じられない」か「どうやって遠く打ったか?」と男子が言っていた。私は一日中歯を見せて笑っていた。その時からその男子は私に笑わなかった。

When I was a kid, I didn't have a lot of self-esteem. However, something happened in my first year of high school that helped me to believe in myself. That year in P.E. class, we learned and played baseball for a few weeks. While I like sports, I've never been good at playing sports. I was terrible at baseball in that P.E. class. The other boys in the class laughed at me whenever I tried to hit the ball, because I couldn't. Whenever it was my turn to bat, the other boys would yell, "He's about to strike out! Watch!" Every time, I would strike out, or hit out, and the boys would laugh so hard. For some reason, though, I kept trying. Then, on the last day of baseball in P.E. class, I hit a home run. All of a sudden, the boys' laughter stopped as they watched the ball fly away. "I can't believe he hit a home run!" One boy said. "How did he hit it so far?" Another boy said. I couldn't stop smiling that day. From that day on, the boys never laughed at me again.

I would also make audio of these and post them, but I don't know how to host audio files to link to this forum. Any ideas?
2 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:21 am

kujichagulia wrote:I would also make audio of these and post them, but I don't know how to host audio files to link to this forum. Any ideas?

I've seen some people use https://vocaroo.com to record/upload and host audio files. :)

Congrats on your texts and your homerun. :)
1 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Finolia
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (B2), Spanish (A2), Vietnamese (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7587

Postby Finolia » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:30 pm

Here is my small text about what makes me feel nostalgic. :P I haven't had it corrected yet so it may contain a couple of mistakes. :geek:

Cứ tôi thấy người chơi máy vi tính với những người bạn hay cứ tôi nghe người nói về kinh nghiệm này là tôi nhớ thời gian ở Eorzea. Eorzea là nước ảo của Final Fantasy XIV. Tôi chơi với vài bạn tôi cách đây hai năm. Trong khi chơi tôi đã rất vui. Hôm này nhiều khi tôi luyến tiếc quá khứ và thỉnh thoảng tôi khóc - bao giờ tôi cũng khóc. Tôi người rất đầy xúc động. Có lẽ khóc là điên nhưng thỉnh thoảng tôi thiếu thời gian nay. Tôi thiếu cảm giác cùng chơi, cùng làm việc và cùng tới được cái gì.
Every time I see someone playing computer (games) with friends or if I hear someone speaking about this experience then I remember the time in Eorzea. Eorzea is the virtual land of FFXIV. Two years ago, I played with some friends. While playing I was very happy. Today, I am often nostalgic and sometimes I cry - I always cry though. I am a very emotional person. Maybe crying is foolish but sometimes I miss this time. I miss the feeling of playing together, working hard together and achieving something together.
1 x
Please feel free to correct whatever I write :P

Elementary Vietnamese: 8 / 14

kujichagulia
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), Portuguese (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=858

Postby kujichagulia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:57 am

Maiwenn wrote:
kujichagulia wrote:I would also make audio of these and post them, but I don't know how to host audio files to link to this forum. Any ideas?

I've seen some people use https://vocaroo.com to record/upload and host audio files. :)

Congrats on your texts and your homerun. :)

Ah, I had forgotten about vocaroo! Thank you very much!

I tell that baseball story to my students to motivate them. I’m sure they get tired of hearing it! :lol:
0 x

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Is this still a thing?
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun May 05, 2019 7:19 am

Thinking recently again, that I need some motivation for writing Finnish, I remembered that there was this group and that I really liked the idea.
languist wrote:Hellooo!! I'm so sorry about the huge gap in productivity here; my life was suddenly insane for a while. Evidently, that was the worst time for me to start a group like this, but in my defence, the madness I was dealing with was quite unexpected. :?

How is your situation now? Would you be interested in reviving this group? Or would you be ok with someone else determining the next topic? If you want to you could e.g. write me (or someone else) several ideas (with prompts for the different levels) at once via PM, so that you don't have to make effort of posting the next topic at a certain time. It seemed that you had had some ideas in mind, when you started this group.
Having a new topic every 3-4 weeks would be nice I think. (I may not be able to manage writing more often, anyway...)

How is everyone else thinking about this?
4 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Return to “Study Groups”