Bahasa Indonesia untuk Dunia

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Bahasa Indonesia untuk Dunia

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:32 pm

I guess I am a learner. I first dabbled in Indonesian via a Pimsleur mini course about 10 years ago, when I would listen to audio courses in various languages during my commute. I didn't really do much else with it until a little more than a year ago when I got into watching vtubers. While this phenomenon originated in Japan, Indonesia was among the places where it caught on the earliest and both of the major Japanese vtuber agencies, hololive and Nijisanji, have Indonesian branches. hololive ID in particular produces almost as much content in English and Japanese as they do in Indonesian, plus they are big enough to regularly attract fan translators who provide live translations of key moments during their streams, but I was still motivated enough to try and resuscitate my Indonesian in order to be able to get the most out of their streams.

Aside from Pimsleur the only learning material I've consistently stuck to is Duolingo, where I currently have just one more lesson left to unlock in the tree. I haven't really considered what to do next aside from maybe starting Closemaster.
5 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:04 am

vonPeterhof wrote:I guess I am a learner. I first dabbled in Indonesian via a Pimsleur mini course about 10 years ago, when I would listen to audio courses in various languages during my commute. I didn't really do much else with it until a little more than a year ago when I got into watching vtubers. While this phenomenon originated in Japan, Indonesia was among the places where it caught on the earliest and both of the major Japanese vtuber agencies, hololive and Nijisanji, have Indonesian branches. hololive ID in particular produces almost as much content in English and Japanese as they do in Indonesian, plus they are big enough to regularly attract fan translators who provide live translations of key moments during their streams, but I was still motivated enough to try and resuscitate my Indonesian in order to be able to get the most out of their streams.

Aside from Pimsleur the only learning material I've consistently stuck to is Duolingo, where I currently have just one more lesson left to unlock in the tree. I haven't really considered what to do next aside from maybe starting Closemaster.

I'm not sure if you're interested, but I'm pretty sure that Pimsleur has released 30 indonesian lessons now instead of just the first 10 that they had out a while ago. Anyways, How was your experience with the duolingo course for indonesian?
3 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:33 am

Fortheo wrote:Anyways, How was your experience with the duolingo course for indonesian?

Pretty good overall, I'd say. I do think it's one of the better designed Duolingo courses out there. My biggest gripe with it is probably that, compared to most other Duolingo courses, it can be weirdly pedantic and judgemental about the English you use in answering the questions (I still sometimes get notifications from a thread on the forum about the question where it marks you wrong if you translate "Aku dan kamu" as "me and you" instead of "you and I"). There's also next to nothing about the colloquial language in there, which is probably normal for a beginners' learning resource for Indonesian, but also not very helpful for me considering the kind of content I'm primarily interested in. Thankfully I've been able to make up for this with supplementary reading.
6 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:20 am

Fortheo wrote:Are there any learners of Indonesian still out there? This language is on the top of my wanderlust list and I enjoy reading about other people's experiences with it. Hopefully all of your studies are going well.

Have any of you tried the DLI course for Indonesian?

It's certainly a language I'm glad I still have. Just today I was driving and I heard an audiobook in Indonesian from a car next to me with the windows open. I shouted "Siang, Pak!" but the driver didn't hear. :oops: My wife and I still sprinkle our conversations with a few well-worn words and phrases from time to time: capek, macet, dilarang, terbalik, di mana, banyak, kok hilang, istirahat, etc.

Londokampung speaks mostly in and about Javanese, but I still enjoy watching his videos sometimes. He's done a lot of nice interviews with other ethnically non-Indonesian people who are either native speakers of Javanese or have learned it to fluency. These all have Indonesian subs and I've picked up some new words from them.

Although it didn't prepare me in any way for the amount of vocabulary I needed once I started living in Indonesia, I look fondly back on the time I spent cramming the language a few years ago. Just typing out the example sentences from grammar books and watching Easy Indonesian videos on repeat while looking up new words got me a very long way.
6 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:07 am

vonPeterhof wrote:
Fortheo wrote:Anyways, How was your experience with the duolingo course for indonesian?

Pretty good overall, I'd say. I do think it's one of the better designed Duolingo courses out there. My biggest gripe with it is probably that, compared to most other Duolingo courses, it can be weirdly pedantic and judgemental about the English you use in answering the questions (I still sometimes get notifications from a thread on the forum about the question where it marks you wrong if you translate "Aku dan kamu" as "me and you" instead of "you and I"). There's also next to nothing about the colloquial language in there, which is probably normal for a beginners' learning resource for Indonesian, but also not very helpful for me considering the kind of content I'm primarily interested in. Thankfully I've been able to make up for this with supplementary reading.

Fortheo, I will concur with vonPeterhof. Duolingo can be terribly fussy when you have to translate from BI to English. Sometimes it insists on quite nasty translations! This shows up in some “skills” worse than others.

And yes, there’s no colloquial language in the course.

Duolingo is probably too easy for me at my level but I am doing it as part of a six month duo experiment - also doing French and a little greek. I tested out of a few checkpoints and I usually just test out of a level.

That said, I learn the occasional new word or usage.

I think the course is generally quite well conceived - with the occasional dumb lesson.

There is more translation than in the French course - I spend more time typing in the Indonesian course and I think that’s good.

It is nowhere near as extensive as the French course and doesn’t have stories.

More generally, I’m spending more time on French these days.

For BI I do some duolingo and my anki reviews (cloze and subs2srs) daily.

I have a look at something in my social media feeds daily - just a minute or two usually.

I occasionally listen to something while walking, a podcast or soundtrack from a tv show I’ve ripped - once or twice a week.

Maybe once a month I go down the YouTube rabbit hole and watch food or cooking videos for an hour.

I haven’t done the DLI course. I’m not really a lover of courses, especially audio-lingual courses. I’m happy to do one beginner book (more like 70% of one) and take it from there, making my own anki cards and reading and watching stuff.

I haven’t actually spoken Indonesian since the pandemic except for the occasional brief exchange with my daughter who has studied it.

While I’ve been writing this she has just told me she has invited a new Indonesian friend around next week. Looks like I’ll get a bit of practice.
3 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:09 am

Axon, I was intrigued to hear about that Indonesian audiobook you overheard. :lol:

Do you know any good sources for audiobooks?
0 x

Omega
Languages: English, Indonesian

Postby Omega » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:09 am

Do you know any good sources for audiobooks?

I came across an learning Indonesian center a few years back which would be more than willing to send you audio books in MP3 if you request them by email. Feel free to mention my name 'Oscar from Sydney' if they ask you how you know about their audio books ;) .
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”