The French C1/C2 Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The French C1/C2 Group

Postby rdearman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:27 am

I found a bit of software which will produce IPA from text. Useful if you want to make anki cards from French words and have the IPA pronunciation guide included without having to look it up in a dictionary.

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:46 pm

whatiftheblog wrote:Thanks for the invite, PM, and apologies for the delay in joining. I've decided that if I don't get into my program, I'll take the C2 test at the end of the year......

Welcome whatiftheblog :) You're welcome. And speaking of welcome, you're indeed a welcome addition to this group as a very determined French learner on a C2 mission. I've added you on the first page members list. I will pop in your resources another time, as I am sorely in need of sleep right now, as it's a just a tad late here, and I have an early morning start tomorrow (at work I mean)... yuck! Hope you're learning heaps! Good luck!

Monsieur le PM
1 x

Jim
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (frosty intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5766

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 pm

I've finally got round to posting here. Thanks to PM for setting up this group.

Introduction

I did French at school to a basic level, but being from the UK it really was basic. As a child living on the south coast we went to France a lot and I worked a summer in a Brasserie in Normandy when I was 19. I then forgot about French. In my early twenties I spent four and a half months in South America learning Spanish and that pretty much replaced what little French I had. I remember the next time I went to France trying to explain to the people I had worked with that I had forgotten French saying "j'ai aprendí espagnol".

Over the next ten years I did beginner courses in Russian and Italian at different times, but I never got anywhere. Then when my wife and I learnt that we were going to have a baby I decided that it would be cool if I could teach her another language. At that point I had a purpose and motivation to learn and it has kept my motivation ever since. The problem is, as it turns out, learning a language is actually really hard and it is taking a lot longer than I first (naively) thought. On the up side, it's quite addictive too and the more you understand the more interesting it gets.

My daughter is now almost three and she watches French cartoons and I speak to her in French from time to time. She's interested in it and asks what things are in French (although she did ask me a couple of days ago what "Bonjour" is in French!) I want to spend more time with her speaking French from about aged 3.

So, the major objective is C1+ in French. I intend to learn a bit of Polish on the side because there is a large Polish population where we live and it would be helpful at work. Once I'm in the Cs with my French I'm hoping to return to Spanish.

Plan

The objectives are:
  • 500 hours audio
  • 175 hours speaking
  • 10,000 pages read
  • 30,000 words written

With a weekly target of 20 hours.

I don't intend to set out precisely what I'm planning on doing because I think that will change over time, but it's clear to me that my weaknesses are:

• Speaking. Time for this is limited - I fit French in when I can, which is usually on short notice, so ITalki time is difficult to arrange. But getting more passive knowledge into my active vocabulary is a priority.
  • Writing. I just have to be more disciplined.
  • A lack of vocabulary is holding me back a bit in all areas. Specifically verbs and to a lesser extent adjectives.
  • Specific grammar points keep causing issues.

Realistically I think it will take until the end of 2018, but it will take as long as it takes.

Bon courage à toutes et à tous, allons-y !
10 x
La hora más oscura es la que viene antes del nacimiento del sol

Merci de corriger mes erreurs !

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 am

Jim wrote:I've finally got round to posting here...

Thanks for sharing your background Jim. Actually I found many similarities with my language past and motivation for learning French when reading your story. I hope your French learning is coming along well!

I hope everyone out there is still doing plenty of useful French learning.... ;)
1 x

Speakeasy
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (C2). Studying: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Polish, and Russian; all with widely varying degrees of application, enthusiasm, and success.

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 pm

This question may have been posed in the past and, if so, please accept my apologies for diverting your attention to something that has already been dealt with. I am looking for French-language Language Forums, similar to this one, and would greatly appreciate responses containing links to such forums. Merci à l'avance!
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Speakeasy wrote:This question may have been posed in the past and, if so, please accept my apologies for diverting your attention to something that has already been dealt with. I am looking for French-language Language Forums, similar to this one, and would greatly appreciate responses containing links to such forums. Merci à l'avance!

There isn't any link there ???
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 pm

rdearman wrote:
Speakeasy wrote:This question may have been posed in the past and, if so, please accept my apologies for diverting your attention to something that has already been dealt with. I am looking for French-language Language Forums, similar to this one, and would greatly appreciate responses containing links to such forums. Merci à l'avance!

He may have been underlining the fact that he's looking for a French equivalent of HTLAL/LLORG. I've looked and unortunately the couple of forums I was able to find were as dead as HTLAL (minus the archives).

Merci d'avance sounds better.
6 x

Speakeasy
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (C2). Studying: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Polish, and Russian; all with widely varying degrees of application, enthusiasm, and success.

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Yet another "one of those times" when I thought that I had expressed myself clearly but, in reality, had left considerable room for doubt!
rdearman wrote:
Speakeasy wrote: ... similar to this one ...

reineke wrote: He may have been underlining the fact that he's looking for a French equivalent of HTLAL/LLORG. I've looked and unortunately the couple of forums I was able to find were as dead as HTLAL (minus the archives).

So then, with my apologies, "similar to this one" means "similar to -- this -- the Language-Learners' Forum." That is, I am looking for a language forum which functions in French. I presume that the vast majority of the participants would be native-speakers of French and that they would be more familiar with French-language-based materials such as Assimil, et cetera, than either the relatively few native-speakers of French who are members of this forum or those members of this forum for whom French is a second/studied language.

More specifically, I am trying to track down the audio recordings accompanying the "Assimil l'allemand des affaires" course that was published in 1979. The cassettes were sold under the title "Deutsch im Geschäftsleben." Sales of these items were rather lackluster and Assimil eventually ceased publication of them; my appeals to Assimil and my searches of the internet have been fruitless. In a final, desperate effort at locating the audio recordings, I am hoping "to cast a wider net" amongst a population whose members might have acquired these materials in the 1980's, preserved them, and well, you know ...

=============================================================

Speakeasy wrote: ... Merci à l'avance!
reineke wrote: Merci d'avance sounds better.

Les deux se dissent et leur emploi n'est qu'une question de préférence.

EDITED:
Tinkering
Last edited by Speakeasy on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Peut-être, celui-ci ? French Chat.
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 pm

3 x

Return to “Study Groups”