The French C1/C2 Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Re: The French C1/C2 Group

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:49 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
. Tomorrow the big mission starts... and now I feel unwell :( Nothing however will stop me, not even death!! ;)

I wouldn't tempt the Grim Reaper, that guy has no sense of humour!

This is very odd. According what I'm looking at, I wrote the above about the Grim Reaper! (I didn't) And yet my original post replying to Arnaud's has disappeared! Ah, not going to lose sleep over it, but if someone can fix it, that would be... well... better I guess.

Edit: I've recovered my post (pasted below). I have no idea how it disappeared! So who did write the above about the Grim Reaper, coz it wasn't me.

----------------------------------
Arnaud wrote:
LesRonces wrote:I might be totally wrong here but to me this phrase seems unnatural.
You're wrong, the whole text is unnatural. But that's normal, Peter isn't yet C2. The text is too heavy, the grammar must be at the service of the text, and not the contrary. Let's take the first sentence:

J'ai dû aller au centre-ville de la grande ville aujourd'hui pour un rendez-vous et après qu'il a été terminé, je me suis décidé d'aller à un magasin à une demi-heure en plus en voiture de l'endroit où j'ai eu le rendez-vous.

Aujourd'hui, j'ai dû aller au centre-ville pour un rendez-vous et j'ai ensuite décidé d'aller dans un magasin à une demi-heure de voiture de l'endroit où j'étais. (it's a proposition of improvement, someone else could have written something else, of course)

Repetition of "ville" and "rendez-vous": good style=no repetition (it's a rule of thumb, so that means that you have to structure your text in a way that the repetitions aren't necessary, by using a good word order or implying some things (here I imply that as you go to the city center, you live in the suburbs or in a little town in the back country: no precision is necessary: I can remove "la grande ville"), après que + indicatif (congrats, you know your grammar, but too heavy here), se décider à/décider de, une 1/2 heure en plus en voiture (not correct).
I myself repeat the verb "aller", I could have written "se rendre" to avoid that, but "aller" is super frequent, so it's not a big problem.

Thanks Arnaud for your clarifications. The reason I repeated 'ville' (I was debating whether I should) was indeed a precision thing. If I just said j'ai dû aller au centre ville that would feel wrong to me because it would be suggesting I had to go into the town centre of where I live. I didn't. I had to go into the town centre of the major city of which I live 60kms from the centre of. I didn't really know how to express this while being precise and not repeating myself. Perhaps I was just to accept that precision wasn't possible in this phrase.

Still, I greatly appreciate all of your assistance here, and I'm sure it's clarifying things for others not just myself. It's clear I need to keep pushing on. Tomorrow the big mission starts... and now I feel unwell :( Nothing however will stop me, not even death!! ;)
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9857

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:25 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
. Tomorrow the big mission starts... and now I feel unwell :( Nothing however will stop me, not even death!! ;)

This is very odd. According what I'm looking at, I wrote the above about the Grim Reaper! (I didn't) And yet my original post replying to Arnaud's has disappeared! Ah, not going to lose sleep over it, but if someone can fix it, that would be... well... better I guess.

Edit: I've recovered my post (pasted below). I have no idea how it disappeared! So who did write the above about the Grim Reaper, coz it wasn't me.

----------------------------------

:shock: Maybe it was the Grim Reaper himself, in which case, it might be smart to heed his warning. :shock:
3 x

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:30 am

aravinda wrote:I don't have my copy at hand but I found the part you need from a Preview (hope this is not copyright violation):

Thank you! ;) That's really helpful. I guess I need to repeat these things out loud until they stick. I have read the French Wiktionary article for plus a dozen times, read explanations in English on how to remember the differences... I guess it comes back with time.
2 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:02 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

One of my posts went crazy like that last week and I had to PM the mods for a fix. I've never seen that kind of glitch on a forum but it appears something funky is happening. Someone quoted me and instead of being a quote, it looked like I wrote the post and suddenly the quote if the post that I had written was attributed to the person who actually wrote that post. I suggest tagging the mods.

Also, I'm so excited about tomorrow! This starts, and also it is the book keeping start of the new school year which means I can order all the books and office supplies my little heart can dream of :-) "Book day" when they all show up, is better than Christmas.

And Arnaud, you are awesome for explaining that! Thank you.
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

LesRonces
Green Belt
Languages: FR B1¾

Postby LesRonces » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Out of interest and for my own learning, i asked a question about PM's sentence in dispute earlier:

J'ai dû aller au centre-ville de la grande ville aujourd'hui pour un rendez-vous et après qu'il a été terminé, je me suis décidé d'aller à un magasin...

..and got this correction back:

J'ai dû aller au centre-ville de la grande ville aujourd'hui pour un rendez-vous et après qu'il a été terminé, j'ai décidé d'aller dans un magasin...

So it appears my hunch might have been right. However, it's still strange to me that googling PM's version in "s brought up 6 times more results than my versions. I usually use google in this way to check on usage and it appears his version is used a lot even though French people are correcting it. Strange.

Also i don't want people to think i'm nitpicking - i saw it and it 'felt' off to me so i commented for clarification and maybe so you guys who are already on a different stratosphere to me can push on to the higher levels, whether that would have been from me eating some humble pie or by me being right ! :D
3 x

tastyonions
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, IT, PT, DE, NL, CA

Postby tastyonions » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:52 pm

If you limit the Google results to ".fr" domains (good way to avoid garbage, in my experience), "aller dans un magasin" has far more results.
7 x

LesRonces
Green Belt
Languages: FR B1¾

Postby LesRonces » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:04 pm

tastyonions wrote:If you limit the Google results to ".fr" domains (good way to avoid garbage, in my experience), "aller dans un magasin" has far more results.

Oh really ? Great tip, never thought about doing that.

Do you think most of the results on the other pages are by learners and/or translations ?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 pm

5 x
: 4 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:
: 306 / 75000 Output Challenge 2019 (普通话写作):

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:52 am

Well, I guess I'm now in the same boat as those of you who would like to sit the exam in December of this year. My schedule just got moved up quite a bit, and not to my liking. :( I had wanted to sit the exam in April or May of 2018, but I see now that most test centers don't seem to be able to send out the diplôme until two to five months after the exam date! That's a real disappointment, especially when I think how the Goethe-Institut generally releases the Zertifikat to test-takers in three to ten days after the exam.

I must have something in hand by late May of next year so that I can include it with my university applications. I guess that means sitting the exam by the end of this year or early next year at the very latest. I've already had to put off applying for university programs just now by one whole year due to a bureaucratic snafu (e.g., credentials not being delivered to me within the promised time frame). I would hate to miss the deadline again next year by a hair's breadth due to a similar "don't call us, we'll call you, it's in the mail!" situation.

I will bring my whining to an end now. :lol: Know that I am stepping up my pace and hope to be able to sit some sort of exam in December. I wish everybody luck!
5 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

whatiftheblog
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (C2?), Spanish (~B1)

Postby whatiftheblog » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks for the invite, PM, and apologies for the delay in joining. I've decided that if I don't get into my program, I'll take the C2 test at the end of the year. One of my italki teachers gave me a copy of the alter ego C1-C2 textbook, and I think I'll be taking a look at it from time to time simply to get back into the habit of doing QCMs, which I haven't really done since grad school econ, heh. I like gamifying the process and doing online grammar drill quiz things from time to time, so this might be a fun addition. I should probably properly look at the test anyway, since I have some materials downloaded that I've never really touched.

I've posted elsewhere on this forum that I was going to give myself a break after my interview and let myself consume non-French content; it's safe to say I'm basically back to exactly what I was doing before, though with slightly fewer hours of French and slightly more time-wasting online. I've also let myself sort of do whatever I want with French, so I've started a few books simultaneously instead of slogging through one before starting the next. I think that if I don't get in and therefore have another year-ish to work on my French at a distance, I'll probably start cutting down on hours of news/debates and filling that time with more intensive work on specific content, like writing more and speaking much, much more. I'm still desperately hoping I'll get in, though :D

I'm supposed to find out this week, so that'll determine my course of action. In the meantime, whatever the outcome, I've been thinking about launching an all-French blog, one I would actually keep up and write in, for real, unlike the one I was supposed to have been writing all along, ahem ahem, whistle whistle, and having that be a daily French activity. I still feel like I wobble between C1 and C2-level expression sometimes, so that would be a way to consistently keep working at it. Hmm :)
8 x
Books completed: 5 / 20 5 / 20

Return to “Study Groups”