The French C1/C2 Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: The French C1/C2 Group

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:11 pm

aravinda wrote:

Provisional Plan
the three intermediate-advanced volumes of grammaire, vocabulaire, difficultés from …expliqué(es) du français series (from CLE).

The grammaire and vocabulaire books in this series are available in levels 'débutant' and 'intermediaire' only, while the difficultés is only available in advanced. I'm not suggesting they're out of print, it appears they were only ever made this way. See the links in the resources section on the first page of this thread. Under your name I have provided links. If you need me to edit your resources list because of this, just let me know.

Actually if anyone wants resources added specifically let me know. It's time consuming, but eventually it will all be there.
3 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:10 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
aravinda wrote:

Provisional Plan
the three intermediate-advanced volumes of grammaire, vocabulaire, difficultés from …expliqué(es) du français series (from CLE).

The grammaire and vocabulaire books in this series are available in levels 'débutant' and 'intermediaire' only, while the difficultés is only available in advanced. I'm not suggesting they're out of print, it appears they were only ever made this way. See the links in the resources section on the first page of this thread. Under your name I have provided links. If you need me to edit your resources list because of this, just let me know.

Actually if anyone wants resources added specifically let me know. It's time consuming, but eventually it will all be there.

Thanks, PeterMollenburg. You're right. It's sloppy writing on my part. I was too lazy to type them separately. I have the following books of the expliqué(es) du français series:
Vocabulaire (Niveau intermédiaire)
Grammaire (Niveau intermédiaire)
Difficultés (Niveau intermédiaire avancé)* In my copy, level is mentioned like this (see the image) but contents must be identical to yours.
_1646.jpg[/attachment][/img]
(I don't have any of the débutant books).
Finally I decided to create a log. I will do it later and let you know. I will later add some more resources too. By the way, my auspicious day for going into top gear is 1st of July too (What a coincidence! :D ) I am still getting used to the forum. Next time I will post the links to any resources I mention so that you will have bit less work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:14 am

aravinda wrote:I have the following books of the expliqué(es) du français series.....

Thanks for clarifying ;) I've corrected your list (and you were right about difficultés expliquées being intermédiaire avancé.

blaurebell wrote:You guys are definitely filling up my Amazon wish list fast with all your courses! I should have known with PM starting this madness :lol: That phonétique progressive course looks great! I feel like doing it *right now*. But then, right now I have no mind-space for courses at all, I'm just in read-all-the-books mode!

Well I've been afflicted as well.... I've not completed all the Grammaire Progessive and Vocabulaire Progressif series and I find I'm adding other series as well, such as Vocabulaire Progressif du Français des Affaires, Phonétique Progressive, Commuinication Progressive and....

Ani wrote:My biggest issue in speaking is needing to drill conjugations for verbs that I don't hear spoken often enough.

So yeah :)

...Conjugaison Progressive..., as I have similar issues as Ani. Despite a truck load of courses under my belt, I actually still feel rather weak on the conjugation of many verbs. I do have a course or two on verbs, but I can't resist adding these nice shiny 'Progressive' books to my handy little wish list.

So, ummm, yeah, my wish list has exponentially expanded, but I'm just not ready to click the 'buy' button. Just don't encourage me, I really don't need it!
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:41 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:[

Ani wrote:My biggest issue in speaking is needing to drill conjugations for verbs that I don't hear spoken often enough.

So yeah :)

...Conjugaison Progressive..., as I have similar issues as Ani. Despite a truck load of courses under my belt, I actually still feel rather weak on the conjugation of many verbs. I do have a course or two on verbs, but I can't resist adding these nice shiny 'Progressive' books to my handy little wish list.

So, ummm, yeah, my wish list has exponentially expanded, but I'm just not ready to click the 'buy' button. Just don't encourage me, I really don't need it!

Yes! I don't know if I was clear in my jumble above. I have done.. Some? Most? Of the débutant book in this series and I have the intermédiaire sitting on my stack. Such good books -- At least these new edition ones are. The original one volume is not as good, so pass by that one..Actually you could go straight to the intermédiaire because it starts right back at the beginning in a similar number of pages (meaning it doesn't really progress faster) . Since I need to physically write with a pen in cursive to convince my hand to remember the spellings, I won't be skipping a page of either book.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:20 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:I can't resist adding these nice shiny 'Progressive' books to my handy little wish list.

J'ai dû aller au centre-ville de la grande ville aujourd'hui pour un rendez-vous et après qu'il a été terminé, je me suis décidé d'aller à un magasin à une demi-heure en plus en voiture de l'endroit où j'ai eu le rendez-vous. Quelle sorte de magasin est-ce que je vous ai entendu me demander ? Quelle sorte !! Quelle sorte !! Pfft, celui avec des livres et des manuels POUR APPRENDRE DES LANGUES ÉTRANGÈRES !!! Vous êtes des zozos ou quoi ?! Alors, j'y suis allé à toute allure (d'accord au niveau de la limite de vitesse puisque de nos jours il y des radars et des caméras partout !) avec deux choses en tête... acheter plus de manuels de CLE, et acheter un livre pour ma fille. Donc, mission accomplie ! J'ai acheté le reste des deux séries Grammaire Progressive du Français et Vocabulaire Progressif du Français.

Pendant que j'étais là, j'ai remarqué qu'ils avaient aussi les livres qu'aravinda avait mentionnés de CLE aussi Difficultés explquées.... Non je ne les ai pas achetés. Ce ne sont pas pour moi... Alors, en vrai, c'est que j'ai déjà beaucoup trop de manuels. Je n'ai pas besoin d'eux, ni de ceux que j'ai achetés non plus... mais vous me connaissez trop bien, hein ;)

Maintentant, les Phonétique Progressive du Français et Conjugaison Progressive du Français :? Du coup, je me trouve en train de me demander... d'y réfléchir... de calculer... si le magasin est toujours ouvert, si je dois y retourner tout de suite !!! C'est très très très important ! Si je n'y vais pas dès maintenant, je... je... je mourirais !! ;)
7 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:29 am

LesRonces wrote:Can you give a brief overview of what the book is/does/contains ?

My speaking is kinda poor so i'd be interested in checking it out but i couldn't find any good reviews !

Conjugaison Progressive is strictly conjugation of verbs. It start with the present indicative of être and avoir and carries on up. Like all the CLE books, it has instructions on the left hand page and exercises on the right. In this case, there is the verb type, other verbs in the category if any, and notes on necessary liaison or other important info like how to find the stem. On the facing page the exercises are really simple just to drill the forms into your mind. Some might be sentences with a subject "elles" and you need to conjugate the suggested verb. Others give you several verbs and a paragraph with several blanks that you need to fill with the right verb in the right form. Some might be super straight forward subjects like "Nous ____ un nouveau chat." or they might be a tiny bit more complicated like "Mon mari et moi ___ le même groupe sanguin." (No the probably wouldn't say anything weird like that but it is really late here and I was wondering what would come up if I typed "Mon mari et moi avons" into google. ):lol:

I don't think these books would particularly help your speaking, but they are good for ironing out conjugation problems, not so much in usage but in writing or if you are forgetting how many stupid 'i's and 's'-es to put into a certain form of choisir.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 pm

LesRonces wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
J'ai dû aller au centre-ville de la grande ville aujourd'hui pour un rendez-vous et après qu'il a été terminé, je me suis décidé d'aller à un magasin à une...

I might be totally wrong here but to me this phrase seems unnatural. Saying it out loud 'feels' weird. To me, it should be d'aller au magasin or d'aller dans un magasin.

Again, i could be totally wrong so don't mind being corrected. I'm relying solely on my 'feeling' here.

Still feels ok to me. I didn't want to say 'the' shop, even though it is a specific shop. I had not yet identified it fully, so it still feels right to me :)

LesRonces wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I can't resist adding these nice shiny 'Progressive' books to my handy little wish list.

J'ai dû aller au centre-ville de la grande ville aujourd'hui pour un rendez-vous et après qu'il a été terminé, je me suis décidé d'aller à un magasin à une demi-heure en plus en voiture de l'endroit où j'ai eu le rendez-vous. Quelle sorte de magasin est-ce que je vous ai entendu me demander ? Quelle sorte !! Quelle sorte !! Pfft, celui avec des livres et des manuels POUR APPRENDRE DES LANGUES ÉTRANGÈRES !!! Vous êtes des zozos ou quoi ?! Alors, j'y suis allé à toute allure (d'accord au niveau de la limite de vitesse puisque de nos jours il y des radars et des caméras partout !) avec deux choses en tête... acheter plus de manuels de CLE, et acheter un livre pour ma fille. Donc, mission accomplie ! J'ai acheté le reste des deux séries Grammaire Progressive du Français et Vocabulaire Progressif du Français.

Pendant que j'étais là, j'ai remarqué qu'ils avaient aussi les livres qu'aravinda avait mentionnés de CLE aussi Difficultés explquées.... Non je ne les ai pas achetés. Ce ne sont pas pour moi... Alors, en vrai, c'est que j'ai déjà beaucoup trop de manuels. Je n'ai pas besoin d'eux, ni de ceux que j'ai achetés non plus... mais vous me connaissez trop bien, hein ;)

Maintentant, les Phonétique Progressive du Français et Conjugaison Progressive du Français :? Du coup, je me trouve en train de me demander... d'y réfléchir... de calculer... si le magasin est toujours ouvert, si je dois y retourner tout de suite !!! C'est très très très important ! Si je n'y vais pas dès maintenant, je... je... je mourirais !! ;)

What's the Phonétique book like ? Like the Conjugaison book but with phonetics i guess ? Listen and repeat stuff or something ? I would definitely be interested in something like that if you or anyone else has used it.

Sorry, I don't own it (yet?) nor have I used it.
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:00 pm

"Aller dans un magasin" me semble mieux, en effet, mais ce sont mes "instincts" qui parlent.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:23 pm

tastyonions wrote:"Aller dans un magasin" me semble mieux, en effet, mais ce sont mes "instincts" qui parlent.

Perhaps I would say that if I was close by and about to enter the shop, but I was 30 min away by car, so entering the shop was not yet the objective, rather getting there was.
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:50 am

LesRonces wrote:I might be totally wrong here but to me this phrase seems unnatural.
You're wrong, the whole text is unnatural. But that's normal, Peter isn't yet C2. The text is too heavy, the grammar must be at the service of the text, and not the contrary. Let's take the first sentence:

J'ai dû aller au centre-ville de la grande ville aujourd'hui pour un rendez-vous et après qu'il a été terminé, je me suis décidé d'aller à un magasin à une demi-heure en plus en voiture de l'endroit où j'ai eu le rendez-vous.

Aujourd'hui, j'ai dû aller au centre-ville pour un rendez-vous et j'ai ensuite décidé d'aller dans un magasin à une demi-heure de voiture de l'endroit où j'étais. (it's a proposition of improvement, someone else could have written something else, of course)

Repetition of "ville" and "rendez-vous": good style=no repetition (it's a rule of thumb, so that means that you have to structure your text in a way that the repetitions aren't necessary, by using a good word order or implying some things (here I imply that as you go to the city center, you live in the suburbs or in a little town in the back country: no precision is necessary: I can remove "la grande ville"), après que + indicatif (congrats, you know your grammar, but too heavy here), se décider à/décider de, une 1/2 heure en plus en voiture (not correct).
I myself repeat the verb "aller", I could have written "se rendre" to avoid that, but "aller" is super frequent, so it's not a big problem.
8 x

Return to “Study Groups”