English Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Re: English Study Group

Postby Ольга » Thu May 11, 2017 1:47 pm

smallwhite wrote:
iguanamon wrote:Basically, Team Tea and Scones never got off the ground. Only three posts, all from November 1, 2016 and only the OP was learning English. So the tea is finished and the scones are gone. In the last three days, three English-learners from China have joined. Perhaps they may join. This could be useful for English-learners. The forum has a large percentage of native English-speakers ad near-natives to help.

There were only 14 Study Groups before OP started this one and I hate it when bad guys win.

Guys, why not unite the groups (сombine or how it is called (объединить)) ?
The name of the first learning group is a little bit confusing. If I knew that the group has such a name, I would never have started this.
You can easily move my first post to the Scones.
0 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Thu May 11, 2017 1:56 pm

The Thorn Birds is Australian literature. The four-part TV adaptation is excellent, with fabulous actors playing the two main characters, utterly engrossing.
1 x

Ольга
Green Belt

Postby Ольга » Thu May 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Xenops wrote:We can make this one the American English group:...But I can't think of a food to go with it. Hamburgers and Coca-Cola? French fries would just be funny. :D

Edit: I read War and Peace in English, and I was very proud of myself. ;)

Yes, War and Peace is marvelous! But for me, it was not War, not Peace, but Love, Love, Love! :P
BalancingAct wrote:The Thorn Birds is Australian literature. The four-part TV adaptation is excellent, with fabulous actors playing the two main characters, utterly engrossing.

Yep, especially Richard Chamberlain! What a charming creature! I adored him when I was a youngster. :P
0 x
Output Challenge 2018

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Thu May 11, 2017 2:09 pm

Xenops wrote:Edit: I read War and Peace in English, and I was very proud of myself. ;)

I failed to finish the Dostoyewsky's Idiot in German translation three times. I usually get stuck a third of the way through because the translation is so bad. And English translations of Russian works are usually much worse than German translations, since the languages are even further apart. So, if you got through a big one like that you can indeed be proud of yourself! I tried an English translation of it once, but the language was infuriating, so after 30 pages I decided to read it in Russian instead. Haven't quite managed that yet!

To get back on topic: My husband and I are currently reading Gerald Durrell's "My Family and other Animals" aloud. It's pretty much the only activity where I still learn something after 10 years of living in English all day every day - basically it's advanced prosody training. Durrell's book seems fantastic for it, since the language is wonderful and the book itself is really funny and interesting. And additionally to the prosody training I also learn how to say words that I don't regularly use. The last one that came up was "quay" for example - I'd say wharf and would be inclined to pronounce quay like the French word quai, but that's apparently wrong! I never knew although I've read the word hundreds if not thousands of times!
2 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu May 11, 2017 3:17 pm

blaurebell wrote:My husband and I are currently reading Gerald Durrell's "My Family and other Animals" aloud. It's pretty much the only activity where I still learn something after 10 years of living in English all day every day - basically it's advanced prosody training. Durrell's book seems fantastic for it, since the language is wonderful and the book itself is really funny and interesting. And additionally to the prosody training I also learn how to say words that I don't regularly use. The last one that came up was "quay" for example - I'd say wharf and would be inclined to pronounce quay like the French word quai, but that's apparently wrong! I never knew although I've read the word hundreds if not thousands of times!
That is a super book. So many great characters. :-)
3 x

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:25 am

BalancingAct wrote:The Thorn Birds is Australian literature. The four-part TV adaptation is excellent, with fabulous actors playing the two main characters, utterly engrossing.

That reminds me of a beautiful article written by Yiyun Li for the New Yorker a couple of years ago. The TV series plays a central role in this piece, which also deals with learning English as a second language.
2 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Is this group only for folks learning English? Do you want any contributions from native speakers? Although the thread does not have many posts, a clear picture is emerging of the kinds of books you like to read. Maybe we can give reading suggestions or TV suggestions?
Without waiting for an answer, to those who enjoyed War and Peace I suggest another Tolstoy, Anna Karenina. There are 3 or 4 famous translations, which have led to a translation war. My advice is just don't get caught up in the translator wars. If you don't know Russian, just pick any translation and go with it. If it helps, the Constance Garnett translation at least is available as a free e-book. If you like Tolstoy, then I would in fact recommend any of his fiction (but I am a very big fan).
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Just to add a couple of my favourites.

Lord of the Rings, anything by Stephen King, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Orson Scott Card, Robert E Howard. Also Louis L'Amour if you like westerns.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:18 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Is this group only for folks learning English? Do you want any contributions from native speakers?

Yes, it would be great. I mean it is already :)
schlaraffenland, MorkTheFiddle, rdearman
Thank you for your contribution! :)

Btw, I was in a bookstore this afternoon and saw there War and Peace in English. I'd forgot how big the book is! Although in Russian the volume is even bigger and the novel is divided into two books.
3 x

Ольга
Green Belt

Postby Ольга » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi, guys! :D
What do you think of subscribing to New Scientist? https://www.newscientist.com/
I am going to subscribe in August, but I am still in two minds.
I am much more pro-love-novels than a fan of scientific journals.
However, I have heard that reading of scientific journals is essential if you want to take an IELTS Academic exam.
0 x
Output Challenge 2018

Return to “Study Groups”