English Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: English Study Group

Postby Querneus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:38 am

MiaLaGagoo wrote:How such a group can help you study? I thought people where gathering to practice.

People don't practise languages much in this forum (other than English perhaps :D ). Here the focus is on discussing how to learn any language: methods, resources, experiences and personal plans, research studies...
3 x

werterber
Languages: Czech (N), English (B1), German (beginner)

Postby werterber » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Hopefully, I will imrove my English in this forum. Since that is why I joined in the first place. :D
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 am

werterber wrote:Hopefully, I will imrove my English in this forum. Since that is why I joined in the first place. :D

There is a study group on this forum for people who are learning Czech, you could volunteer to help them, and they caan help you with English
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 pm

Could anybody please recommend some British books to read with the style similar to Elizabeth Gilbert's? I do love biographical/autobiographical/memoir/diary-like novels.
0 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:41 am

Ольга wrote:Could anybody please recommend some British books to read with the style similar to Elizabeth Gilbert's? I do love biographical/autobiographical/memoir/diary-like novels.

I can't think of any quite like hers off the top of my head, but for diary-like novels, there's always Bridget Jones' Diary (Helen Fielding) and I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith), which is a classic.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:48 am

Ольга wrote:Could anybody please recommend some British books to read with the style similar to Elizabeth Gilbert's? I do love biographical/autobiographical/memoir/diary-like novels.
I'm not familiar with Ms Gilbert, but one autographical book I very much like is 'West with the Night' by Beryl Markham. It's essentially a collection of short stories. It was made into a TV mini-series with Stephanie Powers in the lead role in the 1980s/1990s.

I think James Goldman's 'Myself as Witness' had a diary-type format, but it's some time since I read that.

Philip Marsden's The Bronski House was a good read too. Sort of a family history / memoir thing as I recall.
3 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:09 am

I know this group hasn't been active lately, so I hope it's alright for me to write a comment.

I got told by my school I will need to take the CPE, probably at the end of this year. If I don't pass I can't graduate.

So since this is an English study group I figured I'd ask for general advice and recommendations on resources, online or on paper.
I'm mostly worried about the listening, writing and speaking components.

I saw that there are limited practice exams online, do you also recommend me to practice using CAE exams? Or would that be a waste of time?
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

learningchayse
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby learningchayse » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:28 pm

pardon me but what is a study group and how does it work???
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:51 pm

learningchayse wrote:pardon me but what is a study group and how does it work???

You post resources in it and talk about the language you're using it to learn with, and the scope of discussion is wider than it may be for that of a personal log because you have a wider audience. Just discuss the language, what you need help with, and help others.
4 x

learningchayse
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby learningchayse » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:47 am

eido wrote:
learningchayse wrote:pardon me but what is a study group and how does it work???

You post resources in it and talk about the language you're using it to learn with, and the scope of discussion is wider than it may be for that of a personal log because you have a wider audience. Just discuss the language, what you need help with, and help others.

got it. thank you for the explanation <3
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”