English Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: English Study Group

Postby Deinonysus » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:49 pm

dampingwire wrote:
Deinonysus wrote:
I'm American and "one" and "done" rhyme for me.

For me, "done" would be like the one by TopQuark.

"one" would be like the one by SimonPMounsey. Interestingly the Irish one by Caitria sounds like it might have the same vowel as "done".

Could just be me though.

(I've no idea if there's a way to link to a specific pronunciation on forvo ... I spent a minute looking and didn't find any way to do so).

Oh interesting! So the "done" sounds like a normal RP /ʌ/ vowel (which is usually more of an [ɐ]) but "one" sounds more like /wɒn/ to me, with the same vowel as "cloth". Does "one" rhyme with "on" for you?

I'm taking a look at Wiktionary and it gives /wʌn/ as the Received Pronunciation pronunciation, but then it gives /wɒn/ as the "UK" pronunciation which seems a bit contradictory to me.
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:34 am

dampingwire wrote:Interestingly the Irish one by Caitria sounds like it might have the same vowel as "done".

It sounds completely different from the vowel in "Well done!" by TopQuark in your other link (much closer, i.e. higher on the IPA diagram). Almost like schwa.

Anyway, do at least "won" (past tense of "win") and "one" sound the same to you?
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:32 pm

Deinonysus wrote:Oh interesting! So the "done" sounds like a normal RP /ʌ/ vowel (which is usually more of an [ɐ]) but "one" sounds more like /wɒn/ to me, with the same vowel as "cloth".

Yes.
Deinonysus wrote:Does "one" rhyme with "on" for you?

Yes

Deinonysus wrote:I'm taking a look at Wiktionary and it gives /wʌn/ as the Received Pronunciation pronunciation, but then it gives /wɒn/ as the "UK" pronunciation which seems a bit contradictory to me.

The OED only gives /wɒn/ (for UK) but I don't think they try to be exhaustive.
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:35 pm

Dragon27 wrote:Anyway, do at least "won" (past tense of "win") and "one" sound the same to you?

No. "won" rhymes with "done".
1 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:15 am

dampingwire wrote:No. "won" rhymes with "done".

So "one" in your accent sounds like "won" as in Korean currency (the second meaning in wiktionary), or the word "wan"?
0 x

Gundelangues
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C1), French (Beginner)

Postby Gundelangues » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:06 am

Hello /english study group/, I can't seem to find a word that expresses the "quality of having great physical endurance".
If I'm strong I have strength, if I'm ???? I have endurance.
Any help?
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:41 am

Dragon27 wrote:So "one" in your accent sounds like "won" as in Korean currency (the second meaning in wiktionary), or the word "wan"?

I don't know how the Korean currency is supposed to be pronounced, but the adjective "wan" and the number "one" sound the same to my ear.
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:45 am

Gundelangues wrote:Hello /english study group/, I can't seem to find a word that expresses the "quality of having great physical endurance".
If I'm strong I have strength, if I'm ???? I have endurance.
Any help?

Is "stamina" what you are looking for? You'd have to change your sentence around though: "If I have great physical endurance, I have stamina".

If you really want to be able to say "I'm X" then perhaps "tireless" or "indefatigable" might fit the bill?
2 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:35 am

Deinonysus wrote:
dampingwire wrote:Well the OED gives /wʌn/ for "one" but if that's the same vowel as /dʌn/ ("done"), I'm sendin my ears back :-)

I think that's a regional thing in the UK. Do you pronounce it /dʊn/ with the same vowel as "foot"? I'm American and "one" and "done" rhyme for me.

dampingwire is indeed referring to a peculiarity in some non-American English. John Wells' pronunciation dictionary is nicely illuminating about this:

This word can be pronounced with either the LOT or STRUT vowels, but in the UK at least, this word is increasingly being pronounced with the LOT vowel, as opposed to the STRUT vowel. In 1998 at least, only a third of the polled British speakers used LOT though, but they did tend to be on the younger side.
1 x

Zhong
Orange Belt
Languages: Traditional Chinese (N)
English

Postby Zhong » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:23 pm

I am wondering how to translate the passage said by a kid into English?
「我要買玩具*,我要買玩具。買一個**,我要買玩具。」

[*]我要買玩具 can mean "I want to buy a toy" or "I want to buy toys."
[**]買一個 is literaly "buy one".

My questions:
1. I don't know how to translate 買一個 grammatically when I tried to place it as a subordinate clause. *Buying one seems ungrammatical.

2. Meanwhile, I also don't know how not to show the information that it's only ONE toy the kid subconsciously reminds himself he can only buy until the third sentence.

Your comments please? Thank you.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”