DELE group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
User avatar
Sgt Schultz
Yellow Belt
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: US
Languages: English (N)
Main focus: Spanish (B1.4)
One day: French (A0), Italian (A0), German (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3797
x 165
Contact:

Re: DELE group

Postby Sgt Schultz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Count me in as well. And, please, someone here hold me to that :) As ashamed as I am, I've been one that has said I wanted to take it for about 3 years now and, of course, haven't yet.

The last Cervantes placement exam I took put me at B1.4, which was a little of a disappointment. Perhaps, it's time to try it again since it's been a while.

The SIELE sounds interesting. There is a testing center just 2.5 hours from me, that's definitely doable. I might have to consider taking it instead of the DELE since there would be a flight to reach a DELE testing center (too far to drive). Only being good for two years is disappointing but maybe I can live with that.

DELE/SIELE compared: http://www.delehelp.org/how-do-the-siele-and-the-dele-exam-compare/
1 x

User avatar
reineke
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2857
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:34 pm
Languages: Fox
x 4997

Re: DELE group

Postby reineke » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:59 am

Six members have discussed the exam in the log area since December.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2691
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 am
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)
x 7478

Re: DELE group

Postby Cavesa » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 am

reineke wrote:Six members have discussed the exam in the log area since December.


Ah, I've found Sgt Schultz and FrannieB. Could you post links or names of the others, please?
0 x

FrannieB
Yellow Belt
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 2:06 pm
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Next: Italian or French
x 174

Re: DELE group

Postby FrannieB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Well I would be one of those members discussing in the log area.

I was going to take the DELE was completely all set and then started researching the SIELE and shifted focus.

Everything Cavesa said in the earlier post about the SIELE is why I switched course. Also the whole certified for life does not appeal to me. Any test is a moment in time and to say in that moment in time that you are certified for life seems kinda ridiculous to me. (That of course is a whole other conversation I can have about how I feel about testing in general and the inherent bias in any test)

I am learning Spanish for me so this is a hobby for me. I had reached a point of not having good study habits between my travels to Central America and my husband was having a hard time continuing to support that habit when I was not studying that much at home.

I have a fairly academic job which requires a great deal of creating output for said job. So finding a sustainable study program has been a challenge. For me meeting with my Italki tutor 4 days a week works along with a bunch of other stuff. At this point he has been my tutor for over 2 years and I spend so much time with him on skype he is like family. Before 4 times a week I was doing 2 times a week.

I will be taking the SIELE on March 23rd in Chicago. My confidence level of hitting a B1 is about a 5 - talking is going to kill me I do not spontaneously use the future, imperative or subjunctive. There is an outside chance I could hit a B2 and that is simply because I'm a good test taker and can usually figure out how to hack a test for a better score. Using the test prep books I have gotten some 100% on practice quizzes because I simply know how to test well. You can't hack the spoken part which will be my downfall.

If I hit B1 I will go for B2 in November most likely on the DELE (maybe the SIELE) if I hit a B2 by change I will go for the C1 at about this time again next year.

So there ya go my long winded answer to to a question that was actually not asked - :lol:
3 x

User avatar
reineke
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2857
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:34 pm
Languages: Fox
x 4997

Re: DELE group

Postby reineke » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:28 am

Good luck!
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2691
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 am
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)
x 7478

Re: DELE group

Postby Cavesa » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:03 pm

FrannieB wrote:Well I would be one of those members discussing in the log area.

I was going to take the DELE was completely all set and then started researching the SIELE and shifted focus.

Everything Cavesa said in the earlier post about the SIELE is why I switched course. Also the whole certified for life does not appeal to me. Any test is a moment in time and to say in that moment in time that you are certified for life seems kinda ridiculous to me. (That of course is a whole other conversation I can have about how I feel about testing in general and the inherent bias in any test)

I am learning Spanish for me so this is a hobby for me. I had reached a point of not having good study habits between my travels to Central America and my husband was having a hard time continuing to support that habit when I was not studying that much at home.

I have a fairly academic job which requires a great deal of creating output for said job. So finding a sustainable study program has been a challenge. For me meeting with my Italki tutor 4 days a week works along with a bunch of other stuff. At this point he has been my tutor for over 2 years and I spend so much time with him on skype he is like family. Before 4 times a week I was doing 2 times a week.

I will be taking the SIELE on March 23rd in Chicago. My confidence level of hitting a B1 is about a 5 - talking is going to kill me I do not spontaneously use the future, imperative or subjunctive. There is an outside chance I could hit a B2 and that is simply because I'm a good test taker and can usually figure out how to hack a test for a better score. Using the test prep books I have gotten some 100% on practice quizzes because I simply know how to test well. You can't hack the spoken part which will be my downfall.

If I hit B1 I will go for B2 in November most likely on the DELE (maybe the SIELE) if I hit a B2 by change I will go for the C1 at about this time again next year.

So there ya go my long winded answer to to a question that was actually not asked - :lol:


I am looking forward to reading of your experience!

A question: there are preparatory books for the SIELE already? :-D

Looking at your posts here, on your log, on mine, I think you are preparing yourself really well focusing on the grammar now. If you've been spending so much time talking, there should be a huge chunk of improvement, once you get rid of some of the obstacles :-)

I am personally grateful for exams that have life long validity. There are values to both attitudes. Of course there are people who drill for their exam, pass, and then let the language rot. But that is their choice. There are millions of people who do the same thing with their university degree, and noone suggests the university degrees should be valid for only a few years :-D

In case of Spanish, I am likely to opt for this temporary solution. But I am certainly grateful my DALF and CAE were completed ages ago and are on my CV forever. I am maintaining both those languages, no need to feel like a fraud. But I simply cannot imagine having to pay, prepare, and sit each exam every two years (as I am still in the phase of life, when you might need a CV at any moment without a warning :-D ).
0 x

User avatar
Sgt Schultz
Yellow Belt
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: US
Languages: English (N)
Main focus: Spanish (B1.4)
One day: French (A0), Italian (A0), German (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3797
x 165
Contact:

Re: DELE group

Postby Sgt Schultz » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Cavesa wrote:
A question: there are preparatory books for the SIELE already? :-D



I haven't found a prep book yet but I did find an online practice exam here: https://siele.org/en/examen
3 x

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:41 am
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001
x 140

Re: DELE group

Postby Andy E » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am

I found this on Amazon.es

SIELE, preparación para el examen: Modelos de examen SIELE
https://www.amazon.es/SIELE-preparaci%C3%B3n-para-examen-Modelos/dp/1548108022
0 x

FrannieB
Yellow Belt
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 2:06 pm
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Next: Italian or French
x 174

Re: DELE group

Postby FrannieB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Cavesa - you bring up a great point about the test. I am not doing it to add to add to my CV. I'm doing it to grow myself. Also I don't see this as my final test - I do see myself taking the DELE C1 next year. I'm hoping to get to a B2 on the test which at this point I think is possible with comp, listening and speaking. Writing well that is a whole other issue and well I struggle with writing in English so why would it be any different then Spanish.

Andy E - the book is now winging its way to me.

I will keep you all updated.
2 x

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:41 am
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001
x 140

Re: DELE group

Postby Andy E » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:10 am

One further thing on the SIELE exam. According to their website it's valid for five years not two:

https://siele.org/en/examen
1 x


Return to “Study Groups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest