DELE group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: DELE group

Postby tarvos » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 am

I am actually preparing for the DELE C2.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Postby Andy E » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:04 pm

FrannieB wrote:I will be taking the SIELE on March 23rd in Chicago. My confidence level of hitting a B1 is about a 5 - talking is going to kill me I do not spontaneously use the future, imperative or subjunctive. There is an outside chance I could hit a B2 and that is simply because I'm a good test taker and can usually figure out how to hack a test for a better score. Using the test prep books I have gotten some 100% on practice quizzes because I simply know how to test well. You can't hack the spoken part which will be my downfall.

This is very similar to my situation. I'm also good at passing exams (of a particular type). I recently did the Kwiziq placment test. I scored a C1 with 67 out of 71 and if I'd been a little more careful with reading the questions I would have no doubt got 100%.

However, I'm coming back to serious Spanish after a break of many years and I know that what I did well in that test was "Grammar Translation" - something that reflects the way I was taught French, German, Latin and Italian at school. If I objectively (if that's possible) look at the various skill areas involved, the only one I would say I was definitely C1 in is Reading Comprehension - with my weakest being Listening Comprehension which is probably a B1 (that's what doing nothing for years does for you) and the others somewhere between.

The SIELE interests me (it's an added bonus that it's five years rather than two) because it's not a Pass/Fail. My concern with the DELE was always two things - overreaching myself and failing to pass (and therefore wasting time and money) or alternatively picking too low a level (and therefore wasting time and money). There's also a testing centre an hour's drive away from me on the South Coast of England.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:59 pm

I seem to be the opposite of you, Andy E. I do better at the context based exams (the online Cervantes test put me to C1.4) than at this kind of a test (just B1), which requires more precision in some ways. The listening comprehension is usually one of my main strengths. That's why I value the grammar translation method so much as part of my studies, it really drags me out of my comfort zone and to more precision.

I'll take the SIELE during the summer.

The fact it is valid for five years is the final bonus, two years were really not that long. I am sure I will be able to prepare for a more permanent exam (=DELE) during the five years.
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:43 pm

Cavesa wrote:I do better at the context based exams (the online Cervantes test put me to C1.4) than at this kind of a test (just B1), ...

Do you mean B1 at Kwiziq?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:58 pm

smallwhite wrote:
Cavesa wrote:I do better at the context based exams (the online Cervantes test put me to C1.4) than at this kind of a test (just B1), ...

Do you mean B1 at Kwiziq?

yes,
1 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:29 am

Just came across this thread. I've decided that I want to take the DELE for C1. Because of my work schedule, I would only be able to do it early in 2018 (January-April). Not sure when or where the test is available, or what it consists of. I suppose I'm going into this blindly, but it's only for "fun" with not a lot of pressure or super high expectations. That being said, if I were to not pass the C1 it would be devestating to my self confidence so I'd better start making improvements!

Given my current level of Spanish, I don't think I will have any problem passing a C1 exam early in 2018. Ive never taken an official test, but I feel very confident saying that I'm at a B2 level and have been stuck here for at least 2 years. I always do good with my Spanish when I have a goal to work towards, sort of like training for a race. I think having a test that I can prepare for will force me to work really hard on areas that I have been neglecting (writing and speaking to be exact).

This thread doesn't seem to be too active anymore. I'll probably keep posting in the Spanish thread and in my log. Maybe this post will generate some new conversation.
2 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:48 am

NoManches wrote:Just came across this thread. I've decided that I want to take the DELE for C1. Because of my work schedule, I would only be able to do it early in 2018 (January-April).

You mean 2019, right?

And good luck with your studying. I will be following your progress!
0 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 am

eido wrote:
NoManches wrote:Just came across this thread. I've decided that I want to take the DELE for C1. Because of my work schedule, I would only be able to do it early in 2018 (January-April).

You mean 2019, right?

And good luck with your studying. I will be following your progress!

Oops that's what I meant! And thank you!
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:01 am

4 new centres in Southern Africa! Genuinely thought I'd have to travel to a different country to write the exam. Phew, menos mal

Thinking of taking the B1 in June/July. Should be enough time to prepare I hope

Edit:

Some B1 listening exercises from past exams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryPVfHi ... 7TVns8FY3X

Not too bad and I recognise some of the voice actors because they use a lot of the same people as voice actors in my graded readers. Some expressions that were new to me but still a relatively high level of comprehension

Videoele B1 listening exercises https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DKOWgZ ... EDCF5C2B49

Again not too bad, the vocab was right at my level and I'd like say my comprehension was almost as high as that of my 2nd language, but alas, I still translate in my head :?

It's weird that B1 seems so 'easy' to me but B2 seems like a such a significant step up. I know people on this forum always mention the huge gap between B2 and C1 but damn, the one between B1 and B2 is no joke lol.

I am thinking of probably putting my efforts into the the B2 exam and writing it somewhere in 2020. Going from a self-assesed A2 to DELE B2 in 18 months? I am crazy enough to try it haha, I'll obviously do the necessary research along the way.
5 x

Vero
White Belt
Languages: Czech (N), Spanish (C2), English (C1), Catalan (A1), German, French, Italian (passive and mostly forgotten)

Postby Vero » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 am

Hello all,

anybody to sit the DELE exam in November to share our thoughts and feelings? I'm taking the DELE C2 in Prague next week...
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”