Sign Languages Study Group ✋

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Zomxilla
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Bulgarian (A1, TL)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20038

Re: Sign Languages Study Group ✋

Postby Zomxilla » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:14 pm

Hello all! I'm quite new to the forum, but I've been meaning to learn NZSL for a while now. There are some classes starting up in February, and I've gone through some of the basics from the NZSL website. That was a while back and I'd need to start again. I don't presently have any connections with the deaf community so this will probably be a big challenge for me!
3 x
Ерагон: 11 / 457 (page 11/147)

Qwerty20091234
Languages: English(N), Spanish(~B1), ASL(A2-B1), LSM(A1-A2)

Postby Qwerty20091234 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:11 pm

This post may be dead, but…

I am currently studying both ASL and LSM (Mexican sign language).

For ASL—and it seems like he’s been recommended multiple times—but Dr. Bill Vicars is an amazing resource. Unfortunately, it is a resource that I haven’t found reflected in other national sign languages. For LSM, El Rincón de Molteni is a wonderful YouTube channel. And while the teacher is informative, it doesn’t have the same conversational style as Dr. Vicars’s material.

Which brings me to my major point : the difficulty of finding conversation partners for languages signed within and without the regions we inhabit. I have looked for online conversation partners ; for ASL it is difficult enough, but especially so for non-ASL languages and variants. Has anyone any sound advice on finding stable signing partners with a strong level of fluency, native or not, who don’t charge $30/hr? The language exchange element is difficult, too, for obvious reasons, but perhaps communication, learning, and conversation are enough without $$.
4 x

Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Postby Khayyam » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:20 am

Bumping this old thread because I'm learning ASL.

Any other signers currently active? If I don't get any responses here, I'll post in General, and if that doesn't work, I'll look for dedicated signing groups/websites.

I've also been thinking of reaching out to signers directly by making signing videos of my own (which I know will be awkward and error-ridden, but at least they'll show effort) and posting them on social media.
0 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

Return to “Study Groups”