Polish group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
aquarius
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Italian, Spanish (a bit), Catalan (a bit), Polish (learning), Slovak (a bit)

Re: Polish group

Postby aquarius » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 pm

A good idea, a thread for all folks interested in the Polish language.

I picked up new words and they range from words that register as strictly Polish (like moczymorda, kochanie, chować, czołg, chwila), Polish with weak lookalikes in other languages, (wszystko), words I understand but I am not sure where they're coming from (lecz, chyba, cofnąć), words and constructions that may have corresponding words in Russian which I cannot recall (inhibition?),

The Polish word 'chwila' is derived from the Old High German word '(h)wīla', which is also the ancestor of today's Geman word 'Weile', and the English word 'while' has the same origin. Maybe the meaning of these words have changed slightly through the centuries. However, the pronounciation of Polish 'chwila' has conserved very well the Old High German '(h)wīla', whereas 'Weile' has undergone 2 vowel shifts and the loss of an initial consonant.

https://www.dwds.de/wb/Weile

At least according to Google translate, these three words still have overlapping meanings:

Er wartete eine Weile. --> Odczekał chwilę. --> He waited a while.
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 pm

aquarius wrote:Er wartete eine Weile. --> Odczekał chwilę. --> He waited a while.

I wouldn't use "odczekał" here. It is a specific verb which means that he told himself that he has to wait before doing something. Like throwing a grenade - you have to wait for a few seconds before throwing it. That is the meaning for "odczekał" - Odczekał 3 sekundy, a potem rzucił granat" (sorry for the military example - this is what I know the best ;) ). In the case of your examples, I would give "Poczekał" or just "czekał".
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:11 am

aquarius wrote:
At least according to Google translate, these three words still have overlapping meanings:

Er wartete eine Weile. --> Odczekał chwilę. --> He waited a while.

odczekać = abwarten

Odczekał minutę, po czym wszedł do pokoju. Er wartete eine Minute ab, dann ging er ins Zimmer.
1 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

chove
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (intermediate), Polish (some).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9355

Postby chove » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:05 am

Today I found out about the Polish verbs of motion, they sound scary. But then almost everything about Polish sound scary, which is possibly why I still can't speak it very well :lol:
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:17 am

Don't be scared. We will help you. If you wish to sound like a native speaker, that might be a problem. But if you just want to communicate you may limit yourself to just a few.
For example dotrzeć (to get somewhere - complete form) and "udać się do" (incomplete form) - they doesn't specify means of transport like the verbs - pójść, dojść (this one have also a colloquial meaning "to have an orgasm", so be careful), pojechać, dojechać, dolecieć, polecieć, popłynąć and so on.

"Dotarłem do domu" instead of "Dojechałem do domu", "Dopłynąłem do domu" etc.
"Udałem się do domu" instead of "Pojechałem do domu, "Poszedłem do domu" etc.

Yes, they sound a little strange (especially the second one) and you will probably be corrected by the native speaker but they are not wrong. They are just seldom used because of their general meaning. But if you learn only them - first for completed activity and second for incomplete one, you will be able to say pretty much everything and then slowly learn specific verbs of motion and gradually substitute those two.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

chove
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (intermediate), Polish (some).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9355

Postby chove » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:40 pm

cjareck wrote:Don't be scared. We will help you. If you wish to sound like a native speaker, that might be a problem. But if you just want to communicate you may limit yourself to just a few.

Thanks! It seems very complicated but hopefully I will get used to it in time!
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 pm

I'm curious if anyone knows of an introduction to Polish pronunciation. Is there anything that is a "textbook" with audio that exists that does that? I'm thinking of something along the lines of Modern German Pronunciation or Pronounce it Perfectly in French.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Irusejka
Languages: Українська (N)
English (B2)
Eesti keel (B2)
Español (B1-B2)

Tagalog (A1)
Bahasa Indonesia (beginner)
Português (A1)

Postby Irusejka » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:59 pm

księżycowy wrote:I'm curious if anyone knows of an introduction to Polish pronunciation. Is there anything that is a "textbook" with audio that exists that does that? I'm thinking of something along the lines of Modern German Pronunciation or Pronounce it Perfectly in French.

Hi! We've met on unilang, right?
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:04 am

Possibly. I mean, i used to use that site, and still occasionally drop by. What was your username there, if you don't mind me asking?
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Irusejka
Languages: Українська (N)
English (B2)
Eesti keel (B2)
Español (B1-B2)

Tagalog (A1)
Bahasa Indonesia (beginner)
Português (A1)

Postby Irusejka » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 am

księżycowy wrote:Possibly. I mean, i used to use that site, and still occasionally drop by. What was your username there, if you don't mind me asking?

Try to guess first.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”