Esperanto Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Speakeasy

Re: Esperanto Study Group

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:11 am

I am not a student of Esperanto. Nevertheless, it occurred to me that a few members of this Study Group might wish to be informed of the existence of an offer on eBayUK for a vintage copy of the “Linguaphone Rapid Esperanto Course” manual. I suggest that aficionados of this language consult the seller’s list of “See other items” as it contains some very interesting materials, indeed!

General Linguaphone Discussion – Page 14
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3249&p=148713#p148713
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 am

Today started the 59th Esperanto Sumoo. I know a few of us are doing it. What book are you reading for it?

For my Sumoo, I'm reading the Esenca Lernolibro de la Itala Lingvo.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 am

I'm reading Kvin noveloj by Estonian author Friedebert Tuglas.

I got it from the local library, which has a few (i.e. 22) books translated to/written in Esperanto. I've already read several of them, most of which had been translated from Swedish, so I did read them parallell. First a page or so in Esperanto and then - to fill the gaps in understanding - in Swedish.

The latest book I read was written in Esperanto (Homoj sur la tero by Stellan Engholm). I was surprised about how easily I could read it without a translation or even a dictionary (which I don't own). But the author was Swede and the book had a very Swedish setting, which helped very much in guessing the unknown words. Cultural background is very important in understanding books written in foreign languages, I realised once again.

Now I want to try a book without the help of a translation and/or further knowledge, and this book is the only one matching this specification, except possibly Landoj de l'Fantazio, an original Esperanto book by German author Teo Jung, which may or may not takes place in Germany, my country of origin, in which case I of course have the cultural background too. As this book is quite long (>300 pages), I postponed reading it.

All the other books available I've already read in the original or translation with the exception of one by Norwegian author Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson, but I think that by and by I'll read all of them in Esperanto. As I don't have an e-book reading device (and don't want to buy one), I have to rely on the library's selection. At my pace of reading Esperanto, there's enough reading material for the next 10 years or so.
3 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Nogon, there are many Eo books available online, not requiring an ebook reader. You can read them on your computer. Have you checked the list at the Sumoo's page?
0 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish

Postby Nogon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks, IronMike. I can't/don't want to read long texts on the computer. I've also checked Amazon and other online bookshops - they have a few print books in Esperanto, but I'm not sure whether I want to spend that much money on Esperanto books, so for now the library it will be. I haven't checked other libraries yet; maybe i can do some interlibrary loans. Just now I'm quite content with Tuglas book.
1 x

SallImSayin

Postby SallImSayin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:40 am

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/02447 ... UTF8&psc=1

I recommend this author. I've never read books as fast or as easy as I have theirs. These books are mysteries, the only type of fiction that I enjoy and they're interesting reads. It's much easier to read things written, first, in Esperanto, but that are not stilted like things written specifically as language learning material. They are reasonably priced, as well. I enjoy having a book in hand, after reading so many e-books.
1 x
Ask me for my WhatsApp, Kik, or messgenger info, I'd be happy to chat.

Nogon
Green Belt

Postby Nogon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, SallImSayin! I've bought Modest's "Murdo en la parko", and intend to read it during the next Esperanto Sumoo.
It's actually the first book in Esperanto in my book-shelves. The other books which I've read were library books.
0 x

Meddysong
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (C1), French (C1), Italian (B1); a smattering of various other languages, principally Romance ones.

Postby Meddysong » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:46 am

Teach Yourself are selling the Complete Esperanto ebook with a whopping discount of 80%!

You'll need to go to https://library.teachyourself.com/redeem and use the code TYHOME5 before May 1 to claim it. The audio is free and available to use on their site or with their app.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:22 pm

Meddysong wrote:Teach Yourself are selling the Complete Esperanto ebook with a whopping discount of 80%!

You'll need to go to https://library.teachyourself.com/redeem and use the code TYHOME5 before May 1 to claim it. The audio is free and available to use on their site or with their app.

Holy poop! I already have it, but maybe a gift for my daughter...Dankon!
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Postby Gordafarin2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:40 am

Saluton al cxiuj. Vi volas sciigi vin ke estas multege da retaj renkontigxoj nuntempe, "dank'" al koronviruso.

Mia propra Eo-klubo nun renkontigxas per Zoom cxiusemajne - antaux la krizo, ni renkontigxis nur unufoje cxiun monaton. Iuj membroj diris, ke ili nun 'Zumas' esperante cxiutage!

En mia loka grupo niaj retaj renkontigxoj estas gastigintaj plurajn homojn el fremdaj landoj, ankaux kelkajn komencantojn kiuj neniam cxeestis la 'realajn' eventojn. Mi gxojas vidi tiom da homoj en niaj renkontigxoj. Se vi neniam cxeestis Esperanto-grupon, ekz se ne ekzistas loka grupo cxe vi, nun venis perfekta sxanco babili per Skajpo/Zumo/ktp.

Jen Eventa Servo, retaj kunvenoj:
https://eventaservo.org/Reta
Last edited by Gordafarin2 on Sun May 31, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

Return to “Study Groups”