Esperanto Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
embici
White Belt
Languages: English (N) French (B2) Spanish (C1) Greek (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5175

Re: Esperanto Study Group

Postby embici » Fri May 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Gordafarin2 wrote:Saluton al cxiuj. Vi volas sciigi vin ke estas multege da retaj renkontigxoj nuntempe, "dank'" al koronviruso.

Indeed and thank you for that link!

If some of you are like me and have always been interested in Esperanto but not quite enough to do a summer school abroad, it's now possible to do online.

NASK 2020 will take place online via Zoom. Courses will run from June 29th to July 3rd and from July 6 – 10: https://nask.esperanto-usa.org/venonta/

SES will take place from the 18th to the 26th of July 2020: https://ses.ikso.net/2020/en/
2 x

Karen
Languages: English and Esperanto

Postby Karen » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:59 pm

I would like everyone to know about a beautiful play by Oxford Esperantist Marjorie Boulton, At the Waters of Oblivion, and a side by side translation done by Pierre Ullman and available very inexpensively on Amazon. It's a beautiful love story.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:10 am

I'm attending the North American Summer Course this year and was searching to see if the KER exams would be given. I took the skriba exam in 2017 in Moscow, covering reading and writing, and would love to take the parola version, covering listening and speaking, while I'm down there in North Carolina immersing myself in Esperanto.

While searching, I noticed this: They not only have been working on a C2 exam in Esperanto, but they'll have it on offer at the Universala Kongreso this summer in Montreal! Information here.

4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:49 am

Someone posted these in my log once. Don't know if the links are any good still.

Haha, yes I think I remember you updating your log on a Thursday even when it was Christmas day :D

Doing a part-challenge in Esperanto is brave. Reading matter will definitely be easier to come by than video/audio, though Esperanto books do tend to be expensive (I guess because of the small print runs).

In addition to Project Gutenburg, there are a few other sites with free stuff online:

Don Harlow's website - Don Harlow died some years ago, but the website where he collected Esperanto poems and short stories is still online. There's a real mixture of stuff there, some original and some translated.

This website has a collection of pdfs to download, mostly translations from well-known European authors. There are a few things in there like 'Murder on the Orient Express' that are probably quite easy to read.

Claude Piron was well-known Esperantist who died a few years back. He wrote original Esperanto literature including the famous book 'Gerda Malaperis' which forms the basis for several Esperanto courses. It was written for beginners, so the story starts off with very simple language and progressively gets more complex as the story goes on. It might be a good place to start as an Esperanto reading warm-up :) He also wrote original crime fiction under the name 'Johan Valano', the most famous of which may be 'Ĉu ŝi mortu tra-fike". The slightly crude play on words in the title doesn't translate well into English, so I'll leave you to figure it out.

The only Esperanto association I'm aware of that sells e-books online is FEL although to be honest, most of them aren't any cheaper than real books. 'Ĉashundo de la Baskerviloj' is only EUR 6 though and a good translation.

The Esperanto Association of Britain sells second-hand books on ebay. Turns out today is a really bad time to link to that as our office staff member has been on holiday, so there isn't anything online, but normally I think she puts about 10 books up per week which all start from 99p. The association gets masses of duplicate second hand books as people die and pass their collections on to us, so it's normally a good way to pick up some bargains.

Esperanto film isn't really a thing, so recommendations are harder to make here.

Films which do exist are:

Angoroj- The first original film in Esperanto.
Incubus - The Shatner one, although the Esperanto is very bad in this.
Gerda Malaperis - The film of the book by Claude Piron. Might be a good place to start :)

It's hard to know what will count for the Super Challenge really. The World Esperanto Association (UEA) has Youtube channel for example that has some film of fairly highbrow lectures given at congresses, for example, but not sure whether that is a valid 'film'.

There are definitely some audio-books, which ought to count:

La eta princo
Small collection on Librivox

Some suggestions for podcasts...

Muzaiko
Varsovia Vento
Ĉina radio en Esperanto - Perhaps a good one to listen to non-European accents in Esperanto
Radio Verda - no longer making new material, but think you can still download the old ones
Radio Vatikana - Lots of material but you have to be very interested in following the activities of the Pope :D
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:23 pm

Also Radio Havana, which puts out broadcasts in Esperanto!

https://www.radiohc.cu/eo/podcasts
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”