Basque Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: Basque Group 2017

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Systematiker wrote:Glad you're in!

Thank you! :D

A tee rewind. I discovered Basque about 15 years ago and like as with some people on here it has been an on and off thing ever since. All in all I have about 1000 words and a few basic phrases, but other than that I'm a noob.
Last edited by Tillumadoguenirurm on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:38 pm

Today i stumbled across this grammar again:
http://www.alanrking.info/a-basque-course-second-draft/

Another draft of Alan R. King's course, available for download. It's a different format (and not the same content) as the other. It seems to have more on pronunciation, as well. I think i'll print this out as it looks like it'd be useful to review the other book.

I also came across a funny story related to the course on their website:
http://www.alanrking.info/i-love-your-eyes/
:D
1 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:23 pm

That table ot the previous page is good, but in my opinion, if there is repeated information (morphemes), it can be done better. This is the digitalized version of my Basque grammar reference. Still WIP, as I couldn't make sense of some minor notes and it doesn't contain potentials and conditionals.

euskara.png

It's meant to be used as reference only, not as learning material.

Key:
A - absolute stem
O - oblique stem
Oᵉ - secondary oblique stem (when not provided, it coincides with the primary)
LP - locative pronouns / locative pronoun stem
L - locative stem
AL - animate locative stem
ALn - animate locative stem extended with -n

A superscript letter denotes either a linking sound, plural stem extension, or is an index or clarificator of keyletters. Other necessary clarifications are in the table itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:18 am

Vedun wrote:This is the digitalized version of my Basque grammar reference. Still WIP, as I couldn't make sense of some minor notes and it doesn't contain potentials and conditionals.

It looks nice, though i have to say i really don't understand most of the terms :oops:

Having the stems for the synthetic verbs is really useful as well.
0 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish

Postby Vedun » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:32 pm

crush wrote:It looks nice, though i have to say i really don't understand most of the terms :oops:
If you mean the names of the cases, you can substitute A and O with nor and you'll get the respective case - nor, nork, nori, etc. Just keep in mind that ALn is substituted with non, as indicated in the table, and t k become d g after n. Mugagabe is the indefinite number that is used when there are determiners - etxe hau, bi etxe, etc. There aren't any other terms AFAIAA.

And one mistake I found - the present stems of etorri are -tor; pl. -toz and not -tor; pst. -toz.
1 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:03 am

Hmm... maybe it's time for some more songs?

Lauroba - Nun zaude:

Enkore - Muxurik muxu:

eZen balea - Bueltaka:

Berri txarrak - Poligrafo bakarra:

Also, does anyone know of any places (euskaltegis, maybe?) that offer classes or tutoring online, perhaps via Skype? A friend mentioned Maizpide, but i'm not exactly sure i'll be able to pay them from China as it seems they only accept bank transfers?
0 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish

Postby Vedun » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:11 pm

crush wrote:Also, does anyone know of any places (euskaltegis, maybe?) that offer classes or tutoring online, perhaps via Skype? A friend mentioned Maizpide, but i'm not exactly sure i'll be able to pay them from China as it seems they only accept bank transfers?
Italki is always an option.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:21 am

Vedun wrote:
crush wrote:Also, does anyone know of any places (euskaltegis, maybe?) that offer classes or tutoring online, perhaps via Skype? A friend mentioned Maizpide, but i'm not exactly sure i'll be able to pay them from China as it seems they only accept bank transfers?
Italki is always an option.

There's only one community tutor and no professional tutors, i've found italki ok for conversation practice but not for more structured learning. I'll get in touch with Maizpide, i suppose.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 am

I just found a site with a bunch of free (Creative Commons) modern books in Basque:
https://susa-literatura.eus/ebook/
2 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:37 am

By the way, I have a version of the King book scanned and in pdf format. I've had it on my pc for ages and can't remember where I found it, but if anyone is curious about what some of the pages looks like, they could always send me a message with their e-mail address included and I could always send them a sample.

Forget about this btw, it turns out that it's one of the versions that are available for free on their website.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”