Basque Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Re: Basque Group 2017

Postby crush » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:
By the way, I have a version of the King book scanned and in pdf format. I've had it on my pc for ages and can't remember where I found it, but if anyone is curious about what some of the pages looks like, they could always send me a message with their e-mail address included and I could always send them a sample.

Forget about this btw, it turns out that it's one of the versions that are available for free on their website.

Though it is worthwhile downloading the book from Alan King's site, it's a nice (free) resource :)

EDIT: It's been a while, barkatu!, baina hemen daukat euskal muzika gehixeago zuentzat:
Lisabö - Ez zaitut somatu iristen

Izaki Gardenak - Aurri gara

Willis Drummond - Ez da dudarik

Oliba Gorriak - Garaipenera arte!

(And as always, you can find a list of all the songs roughly organized by genre in the first post.)
2 x

bpasseri
White Belt
Languages: .
Native: English
Advanced: Spanish, French
Intermediate: Italian, Portuguese
Beginner: Mandarin Chinese
Dabbled: Japanese, Greek, German, Esperanto
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7995

Postby bpasseri » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 am

This is so awesome! I'm really fascinated by Basque, both by the way it sounds and the relative mystery surrounding its origins. I've always sort of admired it from afar but never really buckled down to look into learning it. All these resources are amazing! I never would have been able to find them on my own... I can't wait to start learning! Thank you!!! :D
1 x
: 1900 / 2500 ES Books
: 390 / 4500 ES Movies

: 480 / 2500 FR Books
: 90 / 4500 FR Movies

: 0 / 2500 IT Books
: 0 / 4500 IT Movies

: 250 / 2500 PT Books
: 360 / 4500 PT Movies

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 am

So I ended up giving in to my temptations, and buying two Basque books -- the big grammar (which doubles as lessons!) and King's lessons. Does anyone know if there is audio available for these online? Asking for a friend... Because Lord knows I don't need the distraction of Basque right now!
0 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:So I ended up giving in to my temptations, and buying two Basque books -- the big grammar (which doubles as lessons!) and King's lessons. Does anyone know if there is audio available for these online? Asking for a friend... Because Lord knows I don't need the distraction of Basque right now!

Sorry for the late reply, you mean audio for the stories in The Basque Language? Not that i know of, but i could probably talk to some folks to see about getting them recorded if anyone'd be interested...

bpasseri wrote:This is so awesome! I'm really fascinated by Basque, both by the way it sounds and the relative mystery surrounding its origins. I've always sort of admired it from afar but never really buckled down to look into learning it. All these resources are amazing! I never would have been able to find them on my own... I can't wait to start learning! Thank you!!! :D

I hope you do start learning, it's a really interesting and beautiful language :) If you've got any questions, feel free to ask here!
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue May 02, 2017 1:49 am

crush wrote:Sorry for the late reply, you mean audio for the stories in The Basque Language? Not that i know of, but i could probably talk to some folks to see about getting them recorded if anyone'd be interested...

I was referring to more general audio files for the books (the other one being Standard Basque: A Progressive Grammar by de Rijk). The grammar actually ends up having lessons itself, and, while the linguistic discription is nice, there isn't IPA on every sentence/fragment, so it kinda gets lost without repeated exposure. Same with King's The Basque Language: A Practical Introduction. But, if none exists, that's alright. Something to remedy in the future.
0 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:04 am

galaxyrocker wrote:I was referring to more general audio files for the books (the other one being Standard Basque: A Progressive Grammar by de Rijk). The grammar actually ends up having lessons itself, and, while the linguistic discription is nice, there isn't IPA on every sentence/fragment, so it kinda gets lost without repeated exposure. Same with King's The Basque Language: A Practical Introduction. But, if none exists, that's alright. Something to remedy in the future.

Ah, well at least (standard) Basque is similar to Spanish in that it's quite phonetic. Alan King shared another older textbook they made for learning Basque which you might be interested in checking out:
http://www.alanrking.info/a-basque-course-second-draft/
It has more on phonology and phonetic transcriptions for at least the first part of the textbook (i can't recall if they last throughout the entire book, but i don't believe so). It's really a shame the book was never formally published, perhaps someone could get in touch with them about publishing it, even just touching it up and distributing a PDF for free (and adding some audio recordings for the texts)...
1 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:37 am

Btw, we recently released our first interlinear book for Basque, in the works for a looong time, ended up hiring a professional Basque translator who zoomed through it in like two weeks (took me about a month to do the first three chapters which are the shortest ;) ) and then i spent several months proofreading it:
https://www.amazon.com/Basque-English-S ... 988830133/

Anyone interested in a PDF of it just get in touch :) It's a collection of stories on Basque mythology, i really enjoyed reading through them and learning about a lot of the main characters and legends of Basque mythology. There's another book in the works as well, this time a collection of short stories from a contemporary Basque author, but we're still waiting for the rest of the stories to come in.
5 x

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Btw, was just pointed out a book in Esperanto for learning Basque, "Ni lernu la euxskan" by Aitor Arana. I haven't used it or seen it (yet) but it sounds interesting. It's 196 pages so not sure how much it covers, but it's cool to see resources for learning Basque in Esperanto.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:08 pm

crush wrote:Btw, was just pointed out a book in Esperanto for learning Basque, "Ni lernu la euxskan" by Aitor Arana. I haven't used it or seen it (yet) but it sounds interesting. It's 196 pages so not sure how much it covers, but it's cool to see resources for learning Basque in Esperanto.

I have it, so when I get off my butt this afternoon I'll take a picture of the ToC and a few pages.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

crush
Blue Belt

Postby crush » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:25 pm

IronMike wrote:I have it, so when I get off my butt this afternoon I'll take a picture of the ToC and a few pages.
Awesome, that would be great! I'm wondering how much it covers and what format it's in. "The Basque Language" covers quite a lot, but it's almost 300 pages with another 150 pages of grammar notes, answer keys, a dictionary, elementary reader, etc. I'd love to see more courses for learning languages through Esperanto.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”