Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Vasa
Languages: Russian (N), English (A2)

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Vasa » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:14 pm

Hello!
If you want to practice Russian, contact with me.
Have a nice day.
0 x

Radioclare
Brown Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 pm

Vasa wrote:
Radioclare wrote:Ultimately my goal is to speak well enough to be able to travel in Russia without being terrified

What do you whant to see in Russia?

Not sure when I wrote this, but since then I have been to Russia for the first time :) I went to St Petersburg and Moscow, plus had a day trip to Vladimir and Suzdal. I would like to return to all those places for longer. And one day (when I speak better Russian) I would like to travel across Russia on the Trans-Siberian railway, stopping at lots of places on the way :)
2 x
Croatian SC books: 59 / 100 Croatian SC films: 78 / 100
Russian SC books: 88 / 100 Russian SC films: 63 / 100

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), Russian (И), Japanese/Chinese (Zzz)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:38 pm

A little bit of Russian humor
3 x

larvitar98
Languages: French (N)

Postby larvitar98 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Hello , my name is Pierre , i am from Belgium , it's been a little bit less than two months i have started studying russian and so far i've almost completed the assimil new russian without toil , same goes with the Ilya Frank introductory course. Anyhow , i want to solidify my beginner knowledge before jumping into harder stuff and i was wondering if anyone completed the Russe90 course since i had it on my desk for a while but i still prefered using Assimil.

Also i want to redo an assimil but the 1971 version since i have the pdf and i find it more complete but i have unfortunatly not found any audios to be sold. Does anyone know where i could get them with decent quality?

Thank you very much.

Edit: i found it!!! If anyone want audio from this wonderful book pm me.
0 x

treshgame
Languages: Russian (N), English (A2)

Postby treshgame » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:10 am

Hi guys, i,m russian, if your native language is English, we can do "Languages trade", i'll speak with you in Russian for 30 minutes, you speak with me in English. I think, it is good trade
0 x

Moishe
Languages: English (N)
Russian (beginner/intermediate)

Postby Moishe » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:10 am

Привет друзья,
I am American with Russian ancestry and presently studying the language. I thought that his forum might be a place to obtain study partners with the goal of helping each other to gain proficiency. If you are fluent in Russian, a beginning English learner and would like to practice speaking with me, please PM me. Also, if you know of any other venue that might accomplish the same thing please point me in that direction.
Спасибо,
Мойше
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:44 am

Moishe wrote:Привет друзья,
I am American with Russian ancestry and presently studying the language. I thought that his forum might be a place to obtain study partners with the goal of helping each other to gain proficiency. If you are fluent in Russian, a beginning English learner and would like to practice speaking with me, please PM me. Also, if you know of any other venue that might accomplish the same thing please point me in that direction.
Спасибо,
Мойше

This isn't really a language exchange site. But we do have a lot of resources for people learning languages. You might want to check out this thread:
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 59#p63359/

If you want language exchanges, try using the app "tandem" or the websites:
https://www.conversationexchange.com/
https://www.language-exchanges.org/content/welcome
0 x
Anyone who thinks assembly language programming is difficult, obviously hasn't used Rust.

The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

Moishe
Russian (beginner/intermediate)

Postby Moishe » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:27 pm

I appreciate the clarification and redirection rdearman
0 x

mokibao
Yellow Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:10 pm

Been going through multiple booklets at a time:

-Assimil: Le russe sans peine (1973, 100 lessons)
-Assimil: Le nouveau russe sans peine (90s, 70 lessons)
-Assimil: Le russe (2008, 100 lessons)
-Méthode 90 - le russe en 90 jours et 90 leçons (1970, and, uh, 90 lessons)
-Le russe en 40 leçons (ditto)

Of course I didn't intend to do all of them at the same time, but only to sample and focus on the methods that fit me best. At the same time, going through multiple progressive courses was a way to prevent myself from binging and going too fast, while letting me also review key concepts multiple times without enduring too much repetitive reading.

Currently I'm around 30 lessons in (a bit less than 120 total), so a third or halfway there depending on the booklet. This is less a report on my progress, which I don't consider worth reporting at all at this stage, and more of a comment on the materials to inform others.

Comments:

-All recordings are excellent. Assimil recordings are monolingual, the other two contain a lot of French.
-I discarded very quickly the 40 leçons one, it was going too slowly when compared to the others and tried to over-explain everything at the same time. I may come back to it if I need to rev up my pronunciation since it focuses a lot on it
-Méthode 90 is steep. The texts are also very quaint, from the Soviet era. The text switches between two cyrillic fonts which is very unnerving and kind of hampers my understanding. The grammar explanations are really terse while the exercises are plentiful. It can be demoralizing to finish up a five-line dialogue and a couple of explanatory paragraphs only to have to do a mountain of упражнения. On the other hand after 75 lessons (and just 75 days!) you're supposed to be able read literary texts (the last 15 lessons are basically just that) so if that's what it takes...
-Assimil 2008 is definitely less dense and its texts are much shorter than in the other two, which are more or less equivalent. The explanations from Assimil 1973 are less detailed than in Assimil 90s, which really showers you in footnotes; and the упражнения from 1973 are less demanding since you're only asked to do one-way translations. But all three ease you up into the grammar bit by bit, as opposed to the other two that basically drop a huge block and then expect you to be proficient in all the following exercises. This means I have been, well, assimilating the key concepts much better and with less effort than with the other two.

Like everyone, I binged the first few lessons until the curve started to become steeper, at which point I went slow yet steady. Surprisingly I don't have much of a problem with the infamous grammar, which I find rather refreshing at times, but the vocab won't stick, which makes the упражнения a real chore since I have to look up things all the time, switch IMEs to do so, and so on. I guess it's something I just have to suck up and it'll become easier with time.

When I don't feel like doing lessons, I use the following:
-SpeakASAP, a website offering a bunch of courses for Russian speakers, and a single course of Russian for French speakers. As I said in another post, the materials are available in mp3 + PDF so I simply scraped everything so as to be able to put it on separate devices for offline use (Here it is if you're interested: https://we.tl/t-bcPK5U1z1y). It's basically a single person reading out loud a bunch of grammar explanations complete with examples, which is kind of a reprieve after doing too many 'real' lessons.
-Frank Ilya's website which offers a bunch of bite-sized materials with audio and side by side translations (http://english.franklang.ru/index.php/russian). The principle is basically a kind of a mix between Assimil and the Nature Method, where from side by side and word by word translations you are expected to kind of deduce the grammar and vocab with enough intensive reading. Supposedly it's usable on its own but I think having had real lessons before helps. He apparently used that method to become fluent in a bunch of unrelated languages, so maybe there's something to it.

Misc:

-I didn't try RT or Pushkin Institute courses. I try to avoid learning from English-based courses because they tend to focus way too much on explaining basic grammatical concepts like conjugation or agreement, whereas courses for French speakers assume you're already familiar with it and quickly move on. They also don't take into account the many cognates between French and Russian when introducing vocab. Plus, the Pushkin Institute website lags terribly.

-I abandoned Duolingo very quickly. The TTS engine is awful, switching IMEs for bidirectional exercises is a pain and the explanations are mediocre or even absent.

Still holding out on the hope that the legendary "Nature Method" course will one day be digitized...
2 x

Caromarlyse
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (beginnings of C1), Russian (working towards B1), Portuguese (new and shiny), Spanish (in hibernation)

Postby Caromarlyse » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:59 pm

This site seems to bring together a number of very useful looking links for learning Russian: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/languages/resources/russian
3 x

Return to “Study Groups”