Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby MamaPata » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:25 am

If anyone's looking for some light relief this weekend, have a look at these 20 драматических котов, по которым давно Оскар плачет. (20 dramtic cats which deserve an Oscar!) What's the internet for if not cats?
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Guess who is now the proud owner of all of these?! Has anyone else used them? Do you have any advice/thoughts?

ImageImageImage

How are everyone's Russian studies going?
5 x
Corrections appreciated.

emer1ca
White Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C1), Italian (C1), Russian (A1)

Postby emer1ca » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi everyone, Hi MamaPata!

Never heard about that book, where did you get it from?

I'm stopping by real quick to keep you up to date about my progress.
I'm done with the 1st CD of the Pimsleur's Method. Tomorrow I tackle to the second saucer!
I've been making headway, I can feel it, really ! Im under the impression that because I got rid of the visual part, my brain is like under duress. He's trying to fill the gap (the gap being the visual part, the text for instance). By doing so, my retention clearly improved. I'm listening an hour of audio every day. So far so good ! 30 mins in the morning, ditto in the evening. Same thing for Assimil, a lesson a day or every other day if I encounter difficulties. 20 lessons left before the pro-active stage, Im looking forward to get there!
I crammed my Anki deck with the Audio and the text from the Assimil Method. According to Anki, I go over 250 cards a day, Italian and English included.
On the whole, I'm surprisingly satisfied with my progress.
Oh, one more thing.. I got hold of Frank Iyad's work (not sure about the spelling), a Russian linguist. There are 100 stories all written both in Russian and English along with the Audio (It's available for download on his website, check it out). I've been reading something like 3/4 stories a week so far. As soon as I feel more comfortable with the vocabulary I will add those to Anki. For now, I absorb as much input as possible without giving much thoughts about the words I stumble upon. I reckon that's what you guys would call extensive reading.

See you around !
4 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:30 am

emer1ca wrote:Hi everyone, Hi MamaPata! Never heard about that book, where did you get it from?

I got them from my old faithful - AbeBooks. I think they're around on quite a few second hand book sites, if you're interested. Terence Wade has been highly recommended to me by my teachers, so I'm hopeful!

emer1ca wrote:I'm stopping by real quick to keep you up to date about my progress.
I'm done with the 1st CD of the Pimsleur's Method. Tomorrow I tackle to the second saucer!
I've been making headway, I can feel it, really ! Im under the impression that because I got rid of the visual part, my brain is like under duress. He's trying to fill the gap (the gap being the visual part, the text for instance). By doing so, my retention clearly improved. I'm listening an hour of audio every day. So far so good ! 30 mins in the morning, ditto in the evening. Same thing for Assimil, a lesson a day or every other day if I encounter difficulties. 20 lessons left before the pro-active stage, Im looking forward to get there!
I crammed my Anki deck with the Audio and the text from the Assimil Method. According to Anki, I go over 250 cards a day, Italian and English included.
On the whole, I'm surprisingly satisfied with my progress.
Oh, one more thing.. I got hold of Frank Iyad's work (not sure about the spelling), a Russian linguist. There are 100 stories all written both in Russian and English along with the Audio (It's available for download on his website, check it out). I've been reading something like 3/4 stories a week so far. As soon as I feel more comfortable with the vocabulary I will add those to Anki. For now, I absorb as much input as possible without giving much thoughts about the words I stumble upon. I reckon that's what you guys would call extensive reading.

Sounds like you're doing really well - I'm impressed by how many Anki cards you go through, that's incredible! What are the Iyad stories about? Are you enjoying them?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:32 am

I've recently come across this site: Colta. They're an independent site that do articles on the arts, media, society, science, etc. I haven't had a chance to really go through it yet, but it looks really interesting.

Personally, I'm really interested by their 'Gender for Dummies' (Гендер для чайников) section. It's apparently got lectures and transcripts, which is always a helpful tool! If anyone else is interested in this topic, I have a bunch of other articles (including some published in both Russian and English) that I can send you.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

emer1ca
White Belt

Postby emer1ca » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:47 pm

I got them from my old faithful - AbeBooks. I think they're around on quite a few second hand book sites, if you're interested. Terence Wade has been highly recommended to me by my teachers, so I'm hopeful!

I will definitely have a look later on! cheers!

I'm impressed by how many Anki cards you go through, that's incredible!

The main part of my flashcards has been imported straight from ReadLang. The rest's been manually imported by myself. I know it might sound daunting at first but it only takes 15 mins of my spare time at lunch break to get over 200 cards. That's no biggie honestly.

What are the Iyad stories about? Are you enjoying them?

Here you are.
The link to the books I've mentioned before. It goes without saying those are copyright free and the audio is available. Enjoy!
1 x

ilmari
Orange Belt
Languages: Fluent - French (N), English, Hebrew, Japanese.
Intermediate - Korean, Finnish, Spanish, Russian.
Studying (now) - Russian, Spanish
Dabbling - Italian, Polish, Yiddish, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian, Māori, Latin, Esperanto, Swahili
Would love to study - Norwegian, Swedish, Ancient Greek, and so many more.

Postby ilmari » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:19 am

I love this Ты или Вы chart I found on the Ruslan website http://ruslan.co.uk/ruslanblog.htm.
It originates from http://www.russianpodcast.eu, which I also just discovered and which seems quite impressive.
(PS. I have no relations whatsoever with any of these two companies.)

Addendum: the English version of the chart.

Last edited by ilmari on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 x

emer1ca
White Belt

Postby emer1ca » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:57 am

ilmari wrote:I love this Ты или Вы chart I found on the Ruslan website http://ruslan.co.uk/ruslanblog.htm.
It originates from http://www.russianpodcast.eu, which I also just discovered and seems quite impressive.
(PS. I have no relations whatsoever with any of these two companies.)

Thanks ! I will definitely look into Tatiana's work as soon as I get to the intermediate plateau !
0 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

Previously Studied and mostly forgotten
French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:58 pm

http://russe.inalco.chez.com/TEST/test_som.htm

Reposting a bunch of practice ТРКИ exams via a link that rdearman posted a couple of days ago on a different page. Very helpful for anyone who wants to spot their weaknesses, and especially for those who are preparing for this exam.

it includes everything from A1-C1, so there's something for all of us :)
7 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

Previously Studied and mostly forgotten
French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

http://learnrussian.rt.com/lessons/

I'm sure many of you have probably already come across this, but for those who haven't, this is a very informative site, especially for beginner and intermediate learners.

It includes lessons, vocabulary, and grammar rules, etc.

I especially recommend the grammar section, which explains a lot of rules quite nicely, followed by helpful examples.
6 x

Return to “Study Groups”