Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Arnaud » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 am

In french, if you want: déclinaisons. As I constantly forget them, I have that page on me constantly... :roll:
For the explanations, you can search on YT, you'll find playlists like this one, i.e.
Last edited by Arnaud on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:57 am

When I had cases firehosed down my throat oh so many years ago, I had tables of the basic, non-exceptional endings for all the genders and numbers that I stared at every chance I got. I learned the exceptions when that vocabulary came up.

But don't let case endings stop you from studying, or even using the language. They're certainly needed when your reading (and listening) gets advanced as Russian sentence structure is not strict, syntax-wise, or, rather, it doesn't necessarily follow SVO all the time, especially in lit and advanced non-fiction. (They love their participles in written work.) But when speaking, if you follow what you know syntax-wise from English, and try your best at putting the right ending on the nouns, you'll be understood. And if you have an understandable, compassionate, non-a$$ of a Russian-speaking interlocutor, s/he will help you (and, frankly, be grateful an American is learning the language) rather than feign ignorance of what you're saying.

And Russian genitive plural blows, but not as much as verbs of motion. ;)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:41 am

IronMike wrote: s/he will help you (and, frankly, be grateful an American is learning the language)

I respect people who have a courage to learn my mother tongue, or any other language that is not close to their native one (like, for example, a Russian learning Mandarin or Japanese).
The only thing that could probably make me wonder why an American want to learn Russian is American's media content: movies and series. Let alone the fact that Russian in those movies and series usually criminals, sometimes criminals could be smart and charismatic. But not "Russians" characters, which usually are not-too-bright, unpleasant, ruthless people. In other cases they're just weird.
So why an American who after watching such movies and series probably sees Russian people as bloodthirsty Neanderthals :twisted: would even considering to learn our barbaric language? ;)

(Some time ago I was watching one of such episodes where "Russians" were almost normal, not criminals, and they even could speak Russian, but there was something wrong with them anyway. And then I realized what - they were like from the 90s, or even the late 80s. They looked like guests from the past)

P.S. No offence means. Just a look from the other side of the mirror :) .

edit: a little rephrasing
Last edited by aaleks on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Postby Atinkoriko » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:29 pm

aaleks wrote:
IronMike wrote: s/he will help you (and, frankly, be grateful an American is learning the language)

The only thing that could probably make me wonder why an American want to learn Russian is American's media content: movies and series. Let alone the fact that Russian in those movies and series usually criminals, sometimes criminals could be smart and charismatic. But not "Russians" characters, which usually are not-too-bright, unpleasant, ruthless people. In other cases they're just weird.
So why an American who probably after watching such movies and series pictures Russian people as bloodthirsty Neanderthals :twisted: would even considering to learn our barbaric language? ;) .

It’s quite the mysterious language, I mean the first obvious barrier to intelligibility for most people being the formidable looking Cyrillic alphabet. Few people really know how it works and I guess it’s that air of mystery that draws us Russian learners in.
1 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm

aaleks wrote:

I respect people who have a courage to learn my mother tongue, or any other language that is not close to their native one (like, for example, a Russian learning Mandarin or Japanese).
So why an American who after watching such movies and series probably sees Russian people as bloodthirsty Neanderthals :twisted: would even considering to learn our barbaric language? ;)

(Some time ago I was watching one of such episodes where "Russians" were almost normal, not criminals, and they even could speak Russian, but there was something wrong with them anyway. And then I realized what - they were like from the 90s, or even the late 80s. They looked like guests from the past)

P.S. No offence means. Just a look from the other side of the mirror :) .

edit: a little rephrasing

Maybe they're actors hoping for more roles to play?! :lol: (I love all of the terrible Russian accents in American TV shows. Occasionally you'll get a scriptwriter or someone who clearly knows some Russians and has inserted some really typical Russian phrases, but then as soon as the actor opens their mouth...)
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:28 am

Arnaud wrote:In french, if you want: déclinaisons. As I constantly forget them, I have that page on me constantly... :roll:
For the explanations, you can search on YT, you'll find playlists like this one, i.e.

That's super helpful. Thanks
aaleks wrote:

Leftovers from the cold war. . But really I think most Americans know at least one Russian in person. I'm probably biased from the areas I've lived (near nyc, Alaska.. but my dad has several unrelated Russian friends here in Florida too ) so I really doubt there is anyone who wouldn't automatically see the characterization, but I could see it would be annoying to be portrayed like the. Netflix is fixing it though - lots of good Russian TV coming through.
IronMike wrote:But don't let case endings stop you from studying, or even using the language. They're certainly needed when your reading (and listening) gets advanced as Russian sentence structure is not strict, syntax-wise, or, rather, it doesn't necessarily follow SVO all the time, especially in lit and advanced non-fiction.

Thank you! Case endings aren't actually keeping me from studying.. I'm more looking for a top down approach I guess. I'm plugging away word by word with extremedy little grammar so far, but I haven't had overabundant free time this year and I can't make Russian my priority until I either pass or am sure I could pass a french C2 exam because I'm a perfectionist.
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Does anyone a russian news site that is also unbiased, not following agendas thoroughly?
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:36 pm

aaleks wrote:Let alone the fact that Russian in those movies and series usually criminals, sometimes criminals could be smart and charismatic. But not "Russians" characters, which usually are not-too-bright, unpleasant, ruthless people. In other cases they're just weird.

What kind of shows are you watching? In the American shows I watch, the Russians are always bright (and unpleasant, ruthless, and weird). :)

Edit: There's an episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent where an Italian crime boss asks the New York City cops for police protection. The cops are like "but you're a bigwig in the Italian mob!" And he answers "You don't understand. These other guys are the Russian mob."

In other words: Italian gangsters are fun-loving Italian guys who just get carried away sometimes. Russian gangsters on the other hand ...
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:36 am

As the person who is definitely absolutely not, maybe, probablyish going to learn Russian, I'd like to know where you all started with cases?
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 am

Xmmm wrote:
aaleks wrote:Let alone the fact that Russian in those movies and series usually criminals, sometimes criminals could be smart and charismatic. But not "Russians" characters, which usually are not-too-bright, unpleasant, ruthless people. In other cases they're just weird.

What kind of shows are you watching? In the American shows I watch, the Russians are always bright (and unpleasant, ruthless, and weird). :)

Edit: There's an episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent where an Italian crime boss asks the New York City cops for police protection. The cops are like "but you're a bigwig in the Italian mob!" And he answers "You don't understand. These other guys are the Russian mob."

In other words: Italian gangsters are fun-loving Italian guys who just get carried away sometimes. Russian gangsters on the other hand ...

Well..., Law and Order is one of the series I watch ;) :) .
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”