Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Mista » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:58 pm

MamaPata wrote:This course on Coursera started this week and goes through studying Master and Margarita. I think it may be a bit beyond me - it's for B2 level+ and native Russian speakers - but I'm going to try! We'll see how fast I crash and burn. :lol:

EDIT: Have gone back through properly and you are meant to have read M&M already. I have not and will not be able to manage it in time, so I won't be doing the course. But will leave this here as it may be interesting for some of you! If anyone knows of any other Russian courses, send them my way!

I've seen that course before, so I think it's a regular occurence. Why don't you (and everyone!) join me in reading the book instead, and maybe we can take the course next time around?
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Mista wrote:
MamaPata wrote:This course on Coursera started this week and goes through studying Master and Margarita. I think it may be a bit beyond me - it's for B2 level+ and native Russian speakers - but I'm going to try! We'll see how fast I crash and burn. :lol:

EDIT: Have gone back through properly and you are meant to have read M&M already. I have not and will not be able to manage it in time, so I won't be doing the course. But will leave this here as it may be interesting for some of you! If anyone knows of any other Russian courses, send them my way!

I've seen that course before, so I think it's a regular occurence. Why don't you (and everyone!) join me in reading the book instead, and maybe we can take the course next time around?

That will take me a long time so might not make it to the next round. But sure, I'm down.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 pm

MamaPata wrote:That will take me a long time so might not make it to the next round. But sure, I'm down.

I have no idea how much time I will need, but unlike you, I've never read a book in Russian before, and when I said next time, I don't even know when that will be. So I'm not operating with any deadlines for the book as a whole, though I did set a goal of finishing three chapters by the end of the summer. Still on chapter one... I got hit by the terrible Scandinavian heatwave, and haven't done much at all the last month (except trying to sleep and eat), but I hope to get going with this again soon.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:08 am

I'm still doing my neverending limited input - 10ish minutes of Luntik + 3 pages of listening/reading translated young adult fiction. I cut down on grammar, as just reading about it and doing context-free exercises reached diminishing returns. I've added on sentence drilling instead, with text input Clozemaster for lower levels and reviewing Duolingo for the second crown.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:30 am

Mista wrote:I have no idea how much time I will need, but unlike you, I've never read a book in Russian before, and when I said next time, I don't even know when that will be. So I'm not operating with any deadlines for the book as a whole, though I did set a goal of finishing three chapters by the end of the summer.

Bodes well for both of us! I've never finished an actual Russian book, just translations (and mostly YA stuff) so it's gonna be a challenge. But I'm sure that's good for us. :?

Anyone else want to join us in reading Master and Margarita?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:59 am

If one of you can read french or hungarian, there is a parallel russian/french/hungarian version of Master and Margarita here that could help to understand the original text.
There is even a dedicated website where you can find an english translation and plenty of material to understand the book... :roll:
4 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:59 am

Cross-posting here :)

brilliantyears wrote:I've started planning a little for the 6 Week Challenge. I want to keep my activities as simple as possible, yet with enough variation so I don't burn out.

I will be working on the following materials systematically:
    - Paspoort voor Rusland: This is our course book. I want to study ahead a little, as well as review grammar and dialogues of the past year.
    - Memrise: Study ahead for the upcoming semester. Perhaps around 10 new words a day, and keep up with reviewing. I've also been working on a new private course with words I picked up from wherever. I need to go through everything one more time and delete any unnecessary words before I start studying. I will also keep adding words over time.
    - Drops: Continue using drops for 5-10 minutes a day.
    - Lang-8: I want to see if I can write a short piece at least once a week (so six times in total).
    And...
    - iTalki: I should really, really start using iTalki to practice pronunciation/conversation... I'm getting plenty of requests to be language partners but I'm just too goddamn shy to take anyone up on it :roll:

And a little less systematically, aka 'for fun':
    - Movies, tv shows, etc.: Haven't made up my mind yet on which ones.
    - Russian study group: We've created a Russian study group with a few classmates to bridge the summer, and we'll be meeting a couple of times during the 6WC.
Hopefully lots of reading:
    - Stories in Easy Russian (A2 level): Finish this. Two more stories to go, along with some exercises. I'm pretty sure I'll finish this in no time when I make time for it, so I'm going to be looking for a replacement soon.
    - Ну что, поехали? / Russland in kleinen Geschichten: A Russian 'first reader' type of book I picked up in Germany that contains 33 short pieces about Russia and Russian culture. I just want to pick out a few stories that interest me and attempt to read them.
    - Книга для первого чтения / Erste russische Lesestücke: Another Russian-German 'first reader'. Same as above.

And by the time the 6WC is over classes start again :D Absolutely perfect timing.

Any tips, recommendations, advice? Other sources I should consider? It's my first 6WC and I'm pretty serious about it :lol:
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Is anyone else doing Russian as part of the 6WC? How is it going for you?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:38 am

Does anyone perhaps have good tips for Russian podcasts? Either very very simple podcasts, or something aimed at learners. I've got RussianPod101 on my radar but just wondering if anyone has other/additional recommendations.
1 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:19 am

MamaPata wrote:Is anyone else doing Russian as part of the 6WC? How is it going for you?

Me! Russian is my target language for the 6WC. This is the first time that I have done a 6WC and not fizzled out by the end of week one, so yay :)

The bot tells me that I have put in exactly 11 hours on Russian. I have mostly been using Pimsleur, Dropps app, and my Road to Russia Textbook. Yesterday, I watched my first-ever full length Russian film (Stalker, with English subtitles). I heard lots of the words that I have learned from Pimsleur, which made me happy.
2 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Return to “Study Groups”