Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
risbolle
White Belt
Languages: Russian(N)

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby risbolle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:03 am

MamaPata wrote:Some amusing Russian sayings for you all this morning:

https://www.linguajunkie.com/russian/fu ... an-phrases

I've seen the "Да нет" curiosity cause some raised eyebrows before, so I thought I'd throw in my dilettante opinion.

I suspect that "Да" in the above doesn't come from "Yes": "Да" can also mean roughly "And" and "But".
- In Russian, "Да" in the sense of "And" is old-fashined, and is easiest to spot in fairytales and some other highly stylised contexts. I believe it survives as a neutral "and" in Ukranian ("та") and Belarussian.
- "Да" as "But" is still very common in informal speech (though not a drop-in replacement for "но" by any means).

Hopefully "But no" makes a bit more sense than "Yes no".
6 x

Konstantin
Languages: English, Russian

Postby Konstantin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:02 pm

Hello. My name is Konstantin. I live in Russia in the city of Kaliningrad. I studied English for 6 months and I will continue to teach it.

I put a link to my YouTube channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdXoHYJa0QqU9F_URa8hcNQ

Sorry and do not consider this as spam. Perhaps I did not write in the required forum topic. I still have a poor understanding of even written English. And I speak English very badly.

In Russian schools, 70-80% of all students learn English. But in reality, very few people speak English, even at a confident basic level.

Thank you all for your attention! If you have questions, then write.
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:51 am

Konstantin wrote:Hello. My name is Konstantin. I live in Russia in the city of Kaliningrad. I studied English for 6 months and I will continue to learn it.

I put a link to my YouTube channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdXoHYJa0QqU9F_URa8hcNQ
Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice balaclava :mrgreen:
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:20 am

I'm currently following bald and bankrupt's vlog in the former ussr republics, that's something getting out of the ordinary (not the usual touristic stuff seen on YT, I mean)
0 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:31 am

risbolle wrote:
MamaPata wrote:Some amusing Russian sayings for you all this morning:

https://www.linguajunkie.com/russian/fu ... an-phrases

I've seen the "Да нет" curiosity cause some raised eyebrows before, so I thought I'd throw in my dilettante opinion.

I suspect that "Да" in the above doesn't come from "Yes": "Да" can also mean roughly "And" and "But".
- In Russian, "Да" in the sense of "And" is old-fashined, and is easiest to spot in fairytales and some other highly stylised contexts. I believe it survives as a neutral "and" in Ukranian ("та") and Belarussian.
- "Да" as "But" is still very common in informal speech (though not a drop-in replacement for "но" by any means).

Hopefully "But no" makes a bit more sense than "Yes no".

I don’t think да and та have the same etymology. In Serbo-Croatian there is both “da” meaning “yes” or “that” (conjunction) and “te” meaning “and”, and according to the English Wiktionary some varieties of Macedonian have та as “and”. I’m not aware of any other examples of devoicing at the beginning of a word in the development of Ruthenian from common East Slavic, so it seems implausible to me that devoicing affected only this one word.
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

gaisever
Languages: Russian (N), English, Latin

Postby gaisever » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:57 pm

risbolle wrote:Hopefully "But no" makes a bit more sense than "Yes no".

Here, "да" is concessive, "да нет" meaning rather "[well,] no, [in fact]".
1 x

a386942
White Belt
Languages: English, Russian (beginner)

Russian video

Postby a386942 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi!

Can someone (with a good Russian) tell me what he exactly says in Russian between 1:45 and 1:50 in this youtube video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFgvMyNXG98

Thank you!
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Russian video

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:48 am

a386942 wrote:Can someone (with a good Russian) tell me what he exactly says in Russian between 1:45 and 1:50 in this youtube video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFgvMyNXG98

"Теперь я не потерпевший крушение мальчик, но мужчина что воздаст п[р]о справедливости тем, кто отравляет мой город"

The expression is "воздать по справедливости" (to mete out justice, lit. "to render according to justice"), but the person speaking says про instead of по, perhaps accidentally.
2 x

a386942
White Belt
Languages: English, Russian (beginner)

Re: Russian video

Postby a386942 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:18 pm

"что воздаст п[р]о справедливости тем, кто отравляет мой город"

Thank you so much for your help! The part I highlighted above is not clear to me. Are you sure that that's what he says there?
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Yes. You can even hear the English original in the background "but the man who will bring justice to those who have poisoned my city".

Although I personally don't hear any misspoken "р" in "по".
Last edited by Dragon27 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”