Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby neofight78 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:13 pm

aaleks wrote:There's a Russian site that similar, to some extent, to goodreads.com. Honestly I don't know what that extent is, since I've never posted anything on either of the sites and don't know them well enough. Anyway they both are sites where people post their comments about books. There was a time when I actually read the comments on the site to choose what to read in... English :D . It was just easy for me to read in Russian back then.
This is the link https://www.livelib.ru/
And this is a direct link to the reviews page https://www.livelib.ru/reviews

I've ended up on this site before, I don't remember why or what for, but didn't really pay much attention. I've gone back and taken another look, I may well sign up when I get a spare moment...
0 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Signed up! If anyone else is a member do connect: https://www.livelib.ru/reader/neofight78
3 x

baris0373
Languages: Turkish(N)
English(N)
Russian(Beginner)
French(Beginner)

Postby baris0373 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:42 pm

I guess I'm also in, I'm a Turkish National with lots of English influences in my youth. I will be starting to study Translations in a university this september but unfortunately we will be only studying Eng, French and German at school with Russian possibly an elective at 2nd or 3rd year. My problem is I want to work at a hotel next summer and I'll be needing Russian because Russia is the country we get most of our tourists from. So my goal is to learn enough Russian to be able to work as a receptionist by 2018 and enough to casually chat, write & be able to watch tv shows by next summer. I love languages and I hope with this website and the new book I have with the similarities of Russian and Kurdish I'll be able to attain my goals.
5 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Ok, I'm joining you all :)

I only started Russian very recently. I'm an absolute beginner with zero (absolutely zero) previous experience/interaction with Russian. I'll probably continue lurking for a bit, while absorbing all your good tips, recommendations and experiences ;)

I'm mostly aiming at survival Russian (at least short term). I have some travel plans in that direction for next year.

Quoting from my log:
brilliantyears wrote:So far I am using:
- The New Penguin Russian Course (textbook)
- Memrise: Russian Alphabet + my own Memrise course for NPRC
- Russian for Everyone
- Forvo

NPRC is a pretty solid course but it doesn't come with audio. That's why I'm using Russian for Everyone (also for some additional vocab and grammar explanations) and Forvo. I'm still looking for a course that'll fill the audio gap.

I am also looking for some Russian movies, series etc to watch to get used to the sound of Russian. Unfortunately, Dutch Netflix doesn't have a good selection (understatement of the century), but I started watching The Sniffer.
(Thank you again, neofight78, for pointing me to this topic for more series!)

I'm currently debating whether I should join my university's Russian course or not :? It would be a good way to get some feedback, especially in these early stages...
2 x

.Andrea.
Languages: Español Nativo
English B2
Deutsch a2
Pусский a1

Postby .Andrea. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Hey! I'm actually struggling with Russian... I can perfectly understand its alphabet but vocabulary looks so hard for me, I mean, trying to memorize anything is impossible! I don't know why, for instance I can learn japanese vocabulary without problem, any advice?
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 pm

.Andrea. wrote:Hey! I'm actually struggling with Russian... I can perfectly understand its alphabet but vocabulary looks so hard for me, I mean, trying to memorize anything is impossible! I don't know why, for instance I can learn japanese vocabulary without problem, any advice?

I have had the same problem, and I suspect the phonetic structure has to take a lot of the blame. In other words, if your brain has difficulties with the sounds, it will be more difficult to learn the meanings. Solution? Be patient, and practice saying the words out loud, and listening. If you are comfortable with the sound and pronunciation, it will be easier and quicker to learn the meaning of the words. That's my theory, anyway.
3 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:34 pm

.Andrea. wrote:Hey! I'm actually struggling with Russian... I can perfectly understand its alphabet but vocabulary looks so hard for me, I mean, trying to memorize anything is impossible! I don't know why, for instance I can learn japanese vocabulary without problem, any advice?

I found it much harder to get Russian words to stick at the start (although this was far more of a problem for Arabic). Just give yourself time, you will suddenly discover that you remember stuff!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

ekat2.0
White Belt
Languages: (Beginner)Spanish, (Beginner) Russian, English (N)

Postby ekat2.0 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi, I am studying Russian and Spanish (yes, simultaneously at the moment). I have had 4 semesters of Russian in College. Did I do well? Nope. I threw my book away upon graduating and have never looked back until now. Why? It's a mystery. I like watching Russian dash-cam videos on youtube. That's the closest I come to Russian culture.

I guess I gave up because of the endings. Those darned endings. I am okay with Nominative and may be accusative, but the rest... :roll: I think since the weight of a hundred assignments are not haunting me anymore, I have made a commitment to learn the languages in my life that I have abandoned. I also think that I have learned more about learning since getting my master's degree, and might (am thinking about it) try to see if I have any skill as a polyglot.
1 x

ekat2.0
White Belt
Languages: (Beginner)Spanish, (Beginner) Russian, English (N)

Postby ekat2.0 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:11 pm

I think that you might be interested in pulling the morphemes apart.

In many languages, words have a suffix, afixes and root words, each meaning things, and together they make up words.
There is a good list on github by oskarkv: Otherwise there are probably a lot of various sources.

Then you have to look up what the morphemes are.

Every word has several other words associated with it, so if you learn one word, if you pull it apart, you can no doubt get 5-6 words out of it: Like this example in English:
Root word circum from Latin, meaning: around
circumference, circumstance
both of these words have to do with going around something: You can add the words "circle, encircle, circus (for the round center ring), circuitous, circuit (electronics), and etc...See? All that changes are the little grammatical tags on the end.
In Russian you have similar small words that make bigger words:
круг; circle, sphere, round
круг; circle, sphere, ring, orbit, lap
круглый; round
кружить; to circle
кружка; cup, jug
окружать // окружить; to surround
The only difference is that круг is the word for circle.

What this is, is called Derivational Morphology. Some of these word parts make nouns, some create the case (at the end) singular, possessive, etc. You notice that there is the word жить (live) involved. Does this mean that someone live is doing this action (circling something)? In fact жить only shows up when it is the action of a living being doing the action.

Also look into cognitives to expand your vocabulary. For example Crown in Russian is корона. Well, a corona in English is a halo of light, as around the sun, which is a kind of a crown. Remembering that corona means something similar to crown, can help remembering words.
Интерне́т – Internet
кафе́ – cafe is the exact same word in Russian and English except for spelling and accent.

Remember also that the Russian language developed at various times. In Peter the Great's time, everyone wanted to speak French, and there are a lot of French words in Russian.
équipage - экипаж (crew)
écran - экран (screen)
étage - этаж (floor on a building)
garage - гара́ж (garage)
jalousie - жалюзи (jalousie, window blinds)
meuble - ме́бель (furniture)

There are also examples of words originating in Germany, Yiddish, Dutch and others. For this, look under Russian Loanwords.

Finally, there are loan words that are similar in many Indo-European languages. They just are.
son - сын
brother - брат
sister - сестр́а
cat - кот

So this form of study will give you a lot of new vocabulary words.

Have fun!
3 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:53 pm

I wonder if there's been lists made (that are accessible!) of loan words in Russian from various languages. It would go a long way toward getting that "free" (if not high-frequency or particularly useful) vocabulary for me.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”