Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Ingaræð » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:37 pm

MamaPata wrote:I'm not sure if this has been posted in this group or if I saw it somewhere else. As this year is the 100 year anniversary of the Russian 1917 Revolution, a website has been created using quotes and extracts from contemporary figures in the style of a twitter feed. It's available hereif anyone would like to practise their Russian and study a bit of history. According to my teacher, some of the language is now outdated or jargon so can be quite difficult even for Russians, but she recommended it as a source anyway.

There's also #1917LIVE, which RT has set up on Twitter via the fictional Russian Telegraph, and also features live 'Q & As' with some of the main actors in the Revolution. It seems to be mostly in English, but RT's official website for it is also in Russian and Spanish. They occasionally have short films for it on their news channel as well: there was one where Nicholas II had just signed his abdication letter (?) and, reflecting on it whilst sat in a train carriage, he whips out his smartphone and starts tweeting. :D
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:57 am

Oh Игорь! ::swoon:: Guys, I really really loved Мажор. I just finished season 1 on Netflix and since they don't have season 2, I'll have to find it elsewhere (I did find it, and learned the word сезон in the process!) . I think Arnaud said a couple posts back that there were transcripts available. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have the web searching ability of a three year old :roll:

This is totally my kind of TV. I actually recommended it to my mom despite the fact that she'd have to read the subtitles. We used to watch Psych and Monk together and this just had a lot of that feel although it was developed into a more interesting show by the end.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Ani wrote: I think Arnaud said a couple posts back that there were transcripts available. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have the web searching ability of a three year old :roll:

The transcripts https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... HNSdndBNjA . The link is taken from Arnaud's log :) .

--------------
Here are a couple of links from me :) . I've watched these series some time ago, but, as I know, there are new seasons too.
The first is called След (I'm not sure how it would be translated into English: trail/track/trace ?)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOH9fi ... /playlists
It's something a la CSI

The second is called Тайны следствия (it might be translated as Secrets of investigation I think) . The main character is a young woman - investigator.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-dy40 ... /playlists
You also can find other series by this link. Some of them I've probably seen, but I'm not sure.
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:39 am

aaleks wrote:
Ani wrote: I think Arnaud said a couple posts back that there were transcripts available. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have the web searching ability of a three year old :roll:

The transcripts https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... HNSdndBNjA . The link is taken from Arnaud's log :) .

--------------
Here are a couple of links from me :) . I've watched these series some time ago, but, as I know, there are new seasons too.
The first is called След (I'm not sure how it would be translated into English: trail/track/trace ?)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOH9fi ... /playlists
It's something a la CSI

The second is called Тайны следствия (it might be translated as Secrets of investigation I think) . The main character is a young woman - investigator.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-dy40 ... /playlists
You also can find other series by this link. Some of them I've probably seen, but I'm not sure.

Thank you so much! I can't wait to take a look at those! And I have no idea why I didn't think to search Arnaud's log. He's always good at sharing links.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cellano
Languages: Native French, English C1+, Russian learning

Postby Cellano » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 pm

I have joined today but can't get my head round how to create those goal bars that people have at the end of their posts?
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Cellano wrote:I have joined today but can't get my head round how to create those goal bars that people have at the end of their posts?

Answer to question number four should explain how to make progress bars.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:40 pm

Cellano wrote:I have joined today but can't get my head round how to create those goal bars that people have at the end of their posts?

Welcome Cellano! Enjoy the ride! :D
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:04 pm

How is everyone doing? What are you working on at the moment?

I may be given an Amazon voucher in the near future, so I am on the lookout for intermediate and advanced Russian textbooks (preferably focusing on grammar). I'm not interested in things like FSI that are audio based as I just can't concentrate on them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have used the following up to now:

Russian the Easy Way - Gulnara Useinova.
New Penguin Russian Course.
Passport to Russia/Russia for Everybody.
Rus': A Comprehensive Course in Russian.
Russian in Exercises - S.A. Khavronina
Colloquial Russian 2
Schaum's Russian Grammar

(If anyone is interested in any of those, I've written a few notes on each in my log here)
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:03 pm

A Comprehensive Russian Grammar by Terence Wade is the classic grammar reference, and there is also a workbook available for it. Modern Russian Grammar by John Dunn and Shamil Khairov is also not a bad option. Again there is an accompanying workbook.

A Frequency Dictionary of Russian by Serge Sharoff is quite good, not for the word frequencies but for the frequency list of collocations. Something I've not seen elsewhere and is pretty handy. A Book of Russian Idioms Illustrated by M. I. Dubrovin is also a good book.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:19 pm

MamaPata wrote:How is everyone doing? What are you working on at the moment?

I've been reading Dan Brown in Russian (and English) for some time, and recently I've started shadowing Assimil Le (Nouveau?) Russe sans Peine again. It's perfect for my daily walks.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Study Groups”