Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Schadenfruede
White Belt
Languages: English(N) German(upper beginner) Russian(beginner)

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Schadenfruede » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi, I'm fairly new to the site too. I'm trying to learn Russian from scratch on my own, along with German which I'm far more advanced in. I'm not totally sure how the study groups work, but I'm really interested in the Russian one in particular.
3 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:13 am

Welcome!

The study group is a space for Russian learners to share resources, ask questions, generally seek assurance that we haven't made a terrible mistake in studying this language! It's really up to everyone to use it as feels best to them.

There is a longer list of resources on the first page but it can also be worth having a flick through some of the pages to see what's been discussed.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

2yc
Languages: German (N)
English (C1)
Dutch (B2)

Studying Russian

Postby 2yc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:22 am

Hello everyone,

I had an account on HTLAL a while back but neither can I remember the login, nor does the forum seem to be very lively these days.

I've been studying Russian on and off for 3 years, mostly because of a romantic relationship that didn't last in the end. However, I have come so far (considering Russian's relative difficulty) that I've sworn to put this sucker on my resumé in two years time.

So here I am.

First I want to share my favourite resource:

http://polydog.org/index.php?threads/tr ... D1%8F.130/

Here a transcripts for the first three seasons of kuhnya, an awesome Russian series about a young cook in Moscow. Very high quality, extremely funny. Big props to the guy who paid his tutor money to make those.

Now for a question:

I like to handwrite in Russian and scan the whole thing to have it corrected. I used to use lang-8 a while back I think, but now they don't allow new registrations. Anybody know a place? Else I guess I just have to find someone for a tandem.

Take care everyone.
2 x

Schadenfruede
White Belt
Languages: English(N) German(upper beginner) Russian(beginner)

Postby Schadenfruede » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:40 am

I would love it if Lang-8 would accept new applications, but in the meantime I don't know know of another site that's comparable. Please let me know If you find one.
And I haven't combed all the pages to see if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone use the site 3ears? It was just mentioned by a Youtuber called BeFluent Russian. He's great, and has a lot of videos about Russian language and culture.
0 x

2yc
Languages: German (N)
English (C1)
Dutch (B2)

Studying Russian

Postby 2yc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 am

Actually I found something partly comparable: HiNative is an app that allows you to ask questions to - guess who - native speakers. It's mobile only afaik which might be a limitation to some, but I've found it to be pretty helpful.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Italki lets you write a “notebook” and native speakers correct it.
1 x

hedgehog.chess
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~B2ish), German (~B2ish)
Language Log: https://tinyurl.com/yaofno9u

Postby hedgehog.chess » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:21 am

Has any of you used the AwesomeTTS add-on for Anki to create audio for your flashcards? If so, did you try a couple of options? Which one did you find most natural/best? Does it work well with handling whole sets of cards(in my case about 200-300 at once)?
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:29 pm

I use AwesomeTTS for two of my decks - one already had thousands of cards when I added the plugin, and the other had rather few cards. I don't want a folder filled with thousands of files so I've chosen to let it create them on the fly and also delete them after I close Anki.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Haiku D'etat
White Belt
Languages: British English (N); Italian (B1)

Postby Haiku D'etat » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi all! I've just started Russian and I have a feeling that this attempt is going to be a serious one. I'm currently at the alphabet-pronunciation stage. I'm preparing the ground to hit up cases soon, so I'm looking for advice on how to drill them? I found with my first language-learning experience, it was useful for me to repetitively (obsessively) drill the conjugation of verbs, whilst going back and forth reviewing their actual use and meaning. I had no shortage of workbooks/exercise books to drill them with Italian, but the resources I've come across so far (including the master resource list on here) tend to be big on explanations, but short on actual opportunities to practice. Does anyone have any tips please?
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Welcome!

Russian by Exercises by Khavronina is the classic Soviet textbook. It is drills with more drills and more drills. :D I've never gotten around to finishing it but if you want practice, it's the one to go for.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Study Groups”