Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
ekat2.0
White Belt
Languages: (Beginner)Spanish, (Beginner) Russian, English (N)

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby ekat2.0 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Systematiker wrote:I wonder if there's been lists made (that are accessible!) of loan words in Russian from various languages. It would go a long way toward getting that "free" (if not high-frequency or particularly useful) vocabulary for me.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post links. Here is one: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Russian/Loanwords

I am figuring out that a beginner needs only some resources: A list of easy-to-hard frequency words (8000 or so words)
Loan word list
list of cognates
a book showing how phrases (aka sentences) are put together
At least 100 verbs and their conjugations in the Nominative form (the rest will come but in Nominative, you can communicate).
A few parallel text books
Youtube Russian teachers that you can watch
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 pm

For loanword lists there's also loanword categories on Wiktionary.
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:01 am

ekat2.0 wrote:
What this is, is called Derivational Morphology. Some of these word parts make nouns, some create the case (at the end) singular, possessive, etc. You notice that there is the word жить (live) involved. Does this mean that someone live is doing this action (circling something)? In fact жить only shows up when it is the action of a living being doing the action.
Wow nice, it's the kind of thing I like to learn.

As for french words, there are around 3000 of them in russian (probably 95% are not used anymore)
The most curious one I stumbled upon is фуршет (fourchette=fork) and it's an horrible false friend for me as it means....a reception, a buffet :lol:
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:43 am

To be honest I've never found loan words to be much help, there aren't all that many and the English stress pattern is usually different and interferes. Of course the meaning can be different too, including some made up terms that are English like but we don't use. Somehow it seems to be fashionable :roll:

I also hate the way coders speak in some unpleasant mixture of English and Russian that just sounds horrid and is often incorrect from the point of view of both languages. Worst of all I can use the correct Russian term and Russians don't understand because they are used to using the English word. Often I don't understand the English words either as they are so horribly pronounced! :cry:
2 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:27 pm

neofight78 wrote:I also hate the way coders speak in some unpleasant mixture of English and Russian that just sounds horrid and is often incorrect from the point of view of both languages. Worst of all I can use the correct Russian term and Russians don't understand because they are used to using the English word. Often I don't understand the English words either as they are so horribly pronounced! :cry:

In IT-sphere it's probably especially common. From what I've read on a Russian forum for English learners I've got the impression that they have to use English-language sources to learn, improve their skills, etc. So they better know English terms, but pronunciation isn't their main concern in this case, I guess :mrgreen: .
Btw, sometimes I can't understand or guess the meaning of an English word written in cyrillic letters (on Russian forums) when I read such a mixed sentence the first time. I have to 'convert' the word back in latin letters to understand what's it about :) .
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:54 am

Do you have to know to write in russian cursive to take the TRKI exams ?
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:19 am

Lost in the favorites of my browser a good russian course on russian phonology, with a lot of audio exemples (even if your russian is basic, you can listen to the exemples, it's useful).
https://is.muni.cz/do/ped/kat/KRus/fonetika/index.html
2 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:36 am

Arnaud wrote:Do you have to know to write in russian cursive to take the TRKI exams ?

From B1 (1st certificate) upwards yes. For the first two levels I believe print is acceptable.
2 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:49 pm

A good resource for looking up slang words when other resources draw a blank: teenslang.su.
4 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 pm

neofight78 wrote:A good resource for looking up slang words when other resources draw a blank: teenslang.su.

It seems that's really a vast collection. I know some of these words but most of them I've never even seen before :o .
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”