Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby IronMike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 am

Rhian wrote:As the person who is definitely absolutely not, maybe, probablyish going to learn Russian, I'd like to know where you all started with cases?

Are you asking: What book, website? Or do you mean, with what case?

If the latter, then definitely nominative and accusative (singular and plural) followed closely by genitive singular. But I'm going on 34+ years of memory, so not quite sure what I learned first. The cases aren't really as hard as they're let on. Especially if you a) start with the standard endings (I'm thinking as opposed to genitive plural here) on the basic nouns (here I'm calling друзьями basic vs. людьми which I'd say is not) and b) learn what case each verb governs when you learn the verb and c) learn all the cases applicable to each preposition when you learn them.

You should definitely take up the study of this wonderful language? It's a very useful one to have in your language quiver!
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:14 am

IronMike wrote:
Rhian wrote:As the person who is definitely absolutely not, maybe, probablyish going to learn Russian, I'd like to know where you all started with cases?

Are you asking: What book, website? Or do you mean, with what case?

If the latter, then definitely nominative and accusative (singular and plural) followed closely by genitive singular. But I'm going on 34+ years of memory, so not quite sure what I learned first. The cases aren't really as hard as they're let on.

I learned prepositional first, then accusative (ignoring nominative), which seems to be quite a common format in textbooks. Prepositional is pretty easy to remember, so it's quite a nice way to ease yourself in, then accusative is more useful. Echoing IronMike, I definitely wouldn't worry about the cases, they're annoying but they're not necessarily difficult. (i.e. I make a lot of mistakes, but because I forget which verbs demand which, or because I'm not paying attention, rather than because I don't understand).

Join us! You absolutely will won't regret it.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:45 pm

MamaPata wrote:I learned prepositional first, then accusative (ignoring nominative), which seems to be quite a common format in textbooks. Prepositional is pretty easy to remember, so it's quite a nice way to ease yourself in, then accusative is more useful. Echoing IronMike, I definitely wouldn't worry about the cases, they're annoying but they're not necessarily difficult. (i.e. I make a lot of mistakes, but because I forget which verbs demand which, or because I'm not paying attention, rather than because I don't understand).

Join us! You absolutely will won't regret it.

Ah! Prepositional...yep, that's probably the first one. Very easy to teach at the beginning. Я был на улице, Она будет в парке, итд.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Vedun wrote:Does anyone a russian news site that is also unbiased, not following agendas thoroughly?
Radio Poland has a russian language version. So that would be news in russian, with a polish bias. :-)

http://www.radiopolsha.pl/6
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:38 pm

How is everyone doing with Russian lately? Nearly the end of the year - I'm looking forward to seeing how people have progressed through the course of 2017!

Lately Russian hasn't really been happening in my life - there's been a lot going on and I don't enjoy a lot of the associations Russian has for me at the moment, so it has slipped. However, I'm doing a lot of Russian cinema study, so there is that at least. What about you?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:14 pm

MamaPata wrote:How is everyone doing with Russian lately? Nearly the end of the year - I'm looking forward to seeing how people have progressed through the course of 2017!

Lately Russian hasn't really been happening in my life - there's been a lot going on and I don't enjoy a lot of the associations Russian has for me at the moment, so it has slipped. However, I'm doing a lot of Russian cinema study, so there is that at least. What about you?

I've had a look at some Anki and the alphabet. Which in no way makes me learning it.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:01 pm

Bluepaint wrote:
I've had a look at some Anki and the alphabet. Which in no way makes me learning it.

That's how it all starts... :lol: It's a slippery slope!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

emer1ca
White Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C1), Italian (C1), Russian (A1)

Postby emer1ca » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi !

Well, I took up Russian 3 months ago. I've been doing roughly between 30 mins and an hour a day, it's on and off, I've been doing it every single day, I feel terribly guilty when I don't. I'm not doing it for a reason though.
I'd say a B2/C1 level would suits me good. According to the Lingvist, I acquired about 500 words so far. I just want to be able to put across my ideas effortlessly, so to speak.

Here's a partial list of the material I've been using so far :

The New Penguin, Russian course - A complete course for beginner

A huge shout-out to the person who posted the Memrise course out here! That, my friend, will be really useful.

Well, obviously, Memrise as well as Duolingo.

Russian101, gave a quick shot to the trial version.

The Pimsleur Method

The Linkword Method

The Assimil Method

I've been using LingQ as a Russian material. It's been only 2 days though, Im not sure where Im heading with that but I had a positive experience with their platform when I learned Italian so I'm just gonna stick to my guns for the time being. I feel like a guinea pig. It's exciting. :mrgreen:

The Lingvist Method.

It goes without saying I've been using Anki to cram the words I've been struggling with. Works like a charm!

I kinda put on hold Russian at the moment, I'm trying to brush up my Italian till the end of the month. From January, I will hit the books and step up the pace. By then, I'm just gonna hang around, looks like some of you guys have a lot to share and that's perfect since I have a lot to learn.
Last edited by emer1ca on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

ophelia
Languages: English (N), Russian (beginner), French (A2, not currently studying).

Postby ophelia » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi all!

I've been poking around some other study groups here, and I was wondering if the Russian group has done any monthly challenges in the past. With the new year coming up, it could be fun to crowdsource some ideas (watch a movie and write a review, listen to a song, translate a poem, etc.) and check in each month to see how we're all doing.

This is something I'm probably going to do for myself to keep on track and do something a little more fun than grammar lessons alone. But I wanted to check in and see if this is something we've ever done as a group, or if there would be any interest in doing it in 2018!
3 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 am

ophelia wrote:Hi all!

I've been poking around some other study groups here, and I was wondering if the Russian group has done any monthly challenges in the past. With the new year coming up, it could be fun to crowdsource some ideas (watch a movie and write a review, listen to a song, translate a poem, etc.) and check in each month to see how we're all doing.

This is something I'm probably going to do for myself to keep on track and do something a little more fun than grammar lessons alone. But I wanted to check in and see if this is something we've ever done as a group, or if there would be any interest in doing it in 2018!

It's not something this version of the group has done, though I think previous ones have? If there is an interest for it, I'm definitely up for it, though there are some very different levels, which could prove challenging.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Study Groups”