Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Arnaud » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:04 pm

neofight78 wrote:I've probably forgot a few. Arnaud has watched quite a few serials, maybe he can contribute to the list.
If you want, but as you've said, it's really a question of personal taste. This is a selection of what was "watchable" for me.
I don't like much war/tanks/90's mafia/sovietic era/hospital series, so you will find almost nothing of that sort in my selection

- Игрушки (2 seasons, 40 episodes, 20 min). Comedy. First series I watched in russian. Stupid but easy to understand. My all time favorite :lol:
- Последний из Магикян (5 seasons, 60 episodes, 20 min). Comedy. Easy to understand at the second pass.
- Нюхач (2 seasons, 16 episodes, 50 min). Detective. (subs in english and russian)
- Школа (1 season, 69 episode, 25 min). Drama for teenagers. Slang.
- Майя (1 season, 12 episodes, 45 min). Melodrama for teenagers. Rather easy. (Google майя сериал to find it)
- Папины дочки (410 episodes, 20 min). Comedy. Easy to understand at the second pass.
- Лунтик (480+ episodes, 5 min). Cartoon
- Обратная сторона Луны (1 season): not watched until the end. Sci-fi.
- Питер - Москва (4 episodes, 50 min). Comedy / love affair in a plane.
- Умник (16 episodes, 50 min). Detective (remake of Castle ?)
- Мажор 1 & 2 (12x2 episodes, 50 min). Detective. Transcripts
- Закон каменных джунглей 1 & 2 (16 épisodes, 45 min) : Criminal, teenage slang. Suburban culture.
- Кухня (6 seasons, 120 episodes, 25 min). Comedy. Transcripts for the 3 first seasons.
- Физрук (1 season, 20 episodes, 25 min). Comedy with a lot of slang. Transcripts
- Мама-детектив (1 season, 12 episodes, 50 min). Detective. Transcripts
- Когда её совсем не ждёшь (1 season, 8 episodes, 40 min). Romance for the desperate housewife. Subtitles in russian. Easy to understand.
- Ищейка (1 season, 16 episodes, 50 min). Detective. Transcripts. One of my favorites for the progresses I've made with it.
- Любимая учительница (8 episodes, 50 min): Melodrama. Transcripts. Difficult at the first pass (poetry).
- Влюбленные женщины (12 episodes, 50 min). Melodrama for the desperate housewife. Transcripts. Easy to understand.
- Что и требовалось доказать (8 episodes) : Detective. First 2 episodes horrible, the remaining okay..(remake of Numb3rs ?)
- Генеральская внучка (16 épisodes, 44 min) : Мелодрама, детектив. Nothing special, I like the actress.
- Детективы Натальи Александровой (playlist on YouTube): "detective for ladies" (low quality, just for the rapid-fire dialogs)

Edit: You can also take a look here: Все российские сериалы
Last edited by Arnaud on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 x

AMD
Languages: Russian (N), English (B2), Spanish (beginner), Chinese (beginner)

Postby AMD » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Всем привет!
I'm a native Russian speaker and I've created a group in WhatsApp called "Говорим по-русски" where foreigners who study Russian speak Russian, obviously)
If anyone is interested text me, I will send you a link invitation to join it cos I'm not sure I'm allowed to post it right here.
1 x

motylyok
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Russian (advanced) German (rusty advanced) Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=895

Postby motylyok » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:25 pm

Всем привет!

I was active on this site for a while back in 2015 then I forgot that it existed. But I would like to contribute more. I have just finished my degree in German and Russian and it is fair for me to say that Russian is the language I am most passionate about. I have been learning it solidly since 2013 and I would place myself at around C1 level (although that might be a little generous!!). Owing to this, I am hoping to take ТРКИ-3 soon, so if anyone who has taken the exam has any advice that would be much appreciated. I lived in Moscow in 2015-16 and I am returning this summer at least until mid 2018. Despite the pressures of the job I will be doing, I hope I can make the most of the chance to polish off my skills, and it will be nice to have support and direction from this nice little community!

Edit: also wanted to say if anyone has any questions about pushing through with this language that can seem dreadfully difficult if you're not familiar with other Slavic languages then, then you are more than welcome to ask me.
3 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Привет, motylyok!

Glad to see you back here! :D :D
1 x

motylyok
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Russian (advanced) German (rusty advanced) Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=895

Postby motylyok » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:34 am

neofight78 wrote:Привет, motylyok!

Glad to see you back here! :D :D

Hi! Hope all is well and the studies are also progressing! :) I've had a very stressful fourth year of university where my focus in Russian was primarily to get a good grade by doing what our teacher told us! But I finished my last exams a week ago and now I have a bit more time for focusing on what I want :D

Recently I have been really enjoying watching мелодрамы that are three hours long to get some listening practice in! For anyone who is interested, I've been watching them here: https://russia.tv/video/index/menu_id/267/ There are no subtitles so it's not the best resource for intensive vocabulary study but my listening skills have improved since I've been watching them.

Not sure if it was already recommended but my friend has also been really enjoying Поле чудес, full episodes can be found on YouTube. Could be quite entertaining??
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:23 pm

motylyok wrote:Not sure if it was already recommended but my friend has also been really enjoying Поле чудес, full episodes can be found on YouTube. Could be quite entertaining??

This show was quite popular in the 90s in Russia. It’s a guess the word contest. I guess the show is an analog of an American show.
1 x

Sol
Orange Belt
Languages: (N) Bulgarian, English
Learning: Greek, Korean
Future: French, Italian, Russian
Paused: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18342

Postby Sol » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Привет!

I hope it's not too late for me to join the study group. I've been meaning to learn Russian for a long time because I've been around it all my life (dad speaks it and lived there, mum taught it and understands it) and it's quite similar to my own language Bulgarian. It isn't the main language I'm focusing on, so what I've been doing so far is just flashcards and Lingvist, along with some Russian documentaries here and there (StarMedia and StarMediaEN on YT are good for that).

Thank you Arnaud for all those Russian TV show recommendations! Do you (or anyone else) know of somewhere I can watch these shows with subs? So far I've only been able to find Кухня season 1 subbed on YT.
1 x
Korean
TTMIK: 45 / 305 (45/305 lessons)
SC22-23 Books: 3 / 5000 (3/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 2260 / 9000 (2260/9000 minutes)

Greek
SC22-23 Books: 22 / 5000 (22/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 minutes)

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Sol wrote: Thank you Arnaud for all those Russian TV show recommendations!
It's not really a recommandation, it's just what I watched (after having removed the worst :lol: ).

motylyok wrote:Recently I have been really enjoying watching мелодрамы that are three hours long to get some listening practice in! For anyone who is interested, I've been watching them here: https://russia.tv/video/index/menu_id/267/ There are no subtitles so it's not the best resource for intensive vocabulary study but my listening skills have improved since I've been watching them.
They have a YouTube channel: I watch from time to time, the last thing I watched was Французская кулинария: it's the same quality as StarMedia's programs: not very high but nothing to be ashamed of.
I see there are trailers of Салют-7, that could be interesting...
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Welcome on board motylyok and Sol! We're very glad to have you here.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations - that ought to keep me going for a while! I have a very limited tolerance for secondhand embarrassment, which is an issue with things like Кухня! But I think I'll be able to find something with all of these suggestions.

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this group or if I saw it somewhere else. As this year is the 100 year anniversary of the Russian 1917 Revolution, a website has been created using quotes and extracts from contemporary figures in the style of a twitter feed. It's available hereif anyone would like to practise their Russian and study a bit of history. According to my teacher, some of the language is now outdated or jargon so can be quite difficult even for Russians, but she recommended it as a source anyway.

One of my italki teachers (who is excellent, and I would definitely recommend, if anyone is looking) is working on a website for people studying or teaching Russian and German (they are also planning to expand into other languages in the future. Some of it is aimed at beginner learners, but she is also trying to include articles on slang and other more advanced themes. Currently there are articles about verbs of motion in Винни-Пух, Russia Day, jokes, and several other topics. It is available here and the Facebook group for Russian is here.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:36 pm

MamaPata wrote:Welcome on board motylyok and Sol! We're very glad to have you here.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations - that ought to keep me going for a while! I have a very limited tolerance for secondhand embarrassment, which is an issue with things like Кухня! But I think I'll be able to find something with all of these suggestions.

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this group or if I saw it somewhere else. As this year is the 100 year anniversary of the Russian 1917 Revolution, a website has been created using quotes and extracts from contemporary figures in the style of a twitter feed. It's available hereif anyone would like to practise their Russian and study a bit of history. According to my teacher, some of the language is now outdated or jargon so can be quite difficult even for Russians, but she recommended it as a source anyway.

One of my italki teachers (who is excellent, and I would definitely recommend, if anyone is looking) is working on a website for people studying or teaching Russian and German (they are also planning to expand into other languages in the future. Some of it is aimed at beginner learners, but she is also trying to include articles on slang and other more advanced themes. Currently there are articles about verbs of motion in Винни-Пух, Russia Day, jokes, and several other topics. It is available here and the Facebook group for Russian is here.

Edit: I've also noticed they have a game if you're looking for a break from more serious study!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Study Groups”