Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Speakeasy

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:25 am

MamaPata wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions of US/UK series that have decent dubbing into Russian ...
Although the Fluentu website is not exactly what you're looking for, it does represent an interesting alternative with video/audio/transcript practicing numerous languages, including Russian. Sign up for the 15-day free trial and burn through a selection videos, it just might be what you're looking for.

Fluentu
https://www.fluentu.com/
0 x

David27
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Postby David27 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:00 pm

Not quite the answer you’re looking for (I’m not a fan of dubbing and Russian dubbing is the worst because they usually leave the English in the background and it’s distracting), but I also have disliked a lot of Russian television shows but found a few things outside of movies to get into. Likvidacia, while not being the best show I’ve seen, kept my attention to the end (very difficult to do). I also enjoyed watching Russian series of books. They follow the authors books and want them to be as accurate as possible, unlike American directors who shorten to fit into a movie, and will shamelessly change plot points. Watch doctor zhivago in English and Russian, master and margarita and the idiot have good series as well. Watch that and it will keep you busy for several months.
2 x

Longinus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N)
Currently studying: Latin, Scottish Gaelic
Maintenance work: German, Russian, BCS, Albanian, Estonian
Basic level, 3-6 months worth of work each: Persian, Mongolian, Old Irish, Polish, Macedonian
Wish list: Lithuanian, Icelandic, Hungarian

Postby Longinus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:29 pm

The dubbing on Jackson's Lord of the Rings film series is excellent. Don't know if it's available on line, I bought DVDs a few years ago.
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:37 pm

David27 wrote:(I’m not a fan of dubbing and Russian dubbing is the worst because they usually leave the English in the background and it’s distracting)

Agreed. Does anyone know why they do that? Teaching English to the masses?
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:48 pm

leosmith wrote:
David27 wrote:(I’m not a fan of dubbing and Russian dubbing is the worst because they usually leave the English in the background and it’s distracting)

Agreed. Does anyone know why they do that? Teaching English to the masses?

I believe it's just a matter of ease/cost - probably cheaper to add a new vocal track than to erase and replace the original one. FWIW it's only done that way in dubs for TV - cinematic releases have proper dubs instead of voiceovers.

I don't think I've ever actually found the English track distracting back when I still didn't really understand it - when you don't understand spoken English it's easy to get used to listening to the Russian voiceover for the meaning and to the English original for the tone and emotional cues. You especially don't have a choice other than getting used to that if for the first few years of your life your only option for foreign media were bootlegs like this one :D

But yeah, if you're looking for actual dubs, theatrically released movies and TV cartoons may be a better bet than live action TV shows. A lot of the Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and Fox Kids/Jetix/Disney channel cartoons have decent dubs. Their official YouTube channels apparently have plenty of complete episodes.
8 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

This week in mildly entertaining Russian experiences, I was looking at плотский and плоский because I knew I was studying both but couldn't remember the actual spelling of 'flat' or the meaning of the other. Flat is плоский. Apparently плотский is a dated form of 'carnal'. Why this came up and I decided I needed to learn it, I don't remember, but tbh it's the sort of thing my Russian knowledge is heavy on.

Unrelated, does anyone know the difference between выкройка and узор?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:59 pm

MamaPata wrote:Apparently плотский is a dated form of 'carnal'.

It's still used, at least in religious contexts.
1 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:59 pm

MamaPata wrote:Unrelated, does anyone know the difference between выкройка and узор?
Выкройка means "pattern" in the sense of "sewing template" (and can also refer to the act of cutting out shapes). Узор is "pattern" in the sense of "motif or decoration, especially formed from regular repeated elements".
7 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Theodisce wrote:
MamaPata wrote:Apparently плотский is a dated form of 'carnal'.

It's still used, at least in religious contexts.

Of the two, guess which word I recognized....
6 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:47 am

vonPeterhof wrote:
MamaPata wrote:Unrelated, does anyone know the difference between выкройка and узор?
Выкройка means "pattern" in the sense of "sewing template" (and can also refer to the act of cutting out shapes). Узор is "pattern" in the sense of "motif or decoration, especially formed from regular repeated elements".

Brilliant, thanks. I'd assumed it was along those lines but would have got them the wrong way round if I'd guessed.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Study Groups”