Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Radioclare » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 pm

Does anyone here use LWT for Russian? If so, do you have any recommendations for dictionaries? I've just spent most of my evening wrestling with the installation, but completely failed to get the Glosbe dictionary to work :(
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:59 am

Radioclare wrote:Does anyone here use LWT for Russian? If so, do you have any recommendations for dictionaries? I've just spent most of my evening wrestling with the installation, but completely failed to get the Glosbe dictionary to work :(

I use wiktionary as D1 and translate.academic.ru for D2. That tends to cover me, and occasionally I have to google.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 pm

MamaPata wrote:
Radioclare wrote:Does anyone here use LWT for Russian? If so, do you have any recommendations for dictionaries? I've just spent most of my evening wrestling with the installation, but completely failed to get the Glosbe dictionary to work :(

I use wiktionary as D1 and translate.academic.ru for D2. That tends to cover me, and occasionally I have to google.

Can I be awkward and ask what links you use in the dictionary boxes to get those to work? The technical side of LWT is a bit above my head :oops:
0 x

insight
Languages: Italian (N), English (C1), Russian (B2), French (B2), Spanish (B2), Belarusian (A2)

Postby insight » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Radioclare wrote:
Hi Marina, I've been using the Russian Progress youtube channel, but it's probably not what you're looking for, as it is teaching Russian (though through quite interesting content). I mention it because there was a recent vlog about Russian Youtube channels which the guy who runs the channel watches himself. It might be worth watching that one and seeing whether any of the recommendations interest you :)

Thank you! I had already head about Russian Progress but had no idea he made a video about other youtube channels. I subscribed to Энциклоп and put some other videos in my watchlist.
0 x

Alekseitranslator
Languages: Russian (N), English, German

Postby Alekseitranslator » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 am

Hello everybody,

I am Aleksei and I am native Russian speaker. I am here because I need your help. I am writing scientific research on the translation of contaminated (term in translation) speech (accents, dialects, speech disorders). Writers/screenwriters love to create unique characters (with peculiar pronunciation) in their books, movies, videogames. So we need a special system to translate all the peculiarities accurately.

The point is to create a system of methods for translating contaminated speech. I want to interview several people who are learning Russian at the moment. I want the interviewees to describe things that are the most difficult for them to understand and pronounce in Russian. It would be also great if you record several sentences in Russian that I write to you. I will not state your name in the research if you want. Everything will be anonymous. It would be really great if you help me.

If you wish I can help you with Russian, explain this or that rule because I am M.A. in Linguistics and Translation.

Thank you very much.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:50 am

Radioclare wrote:
MamaPata wrote:

Can I be awkward and ask what links you use in the dictionary boxes to get those to work? The technical side of LWT is a bit above my head :oops:

Haha, yes of course. I had to fiddle around with them for ages to get it to work!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 am

Alekseitranslator wrote:Hello everybody,

I am Aleksei and I am native Russian speaker. I am here because I need your help. I am writing scientific research on the translation of contaminated (term in translation) speech (accents, dialects, speech disorders). Writers/screenwriters love to create unique characters (with peculiar pronunciation) in their books, movies, videogames. So we need a special system to translate all the peculiarities accurately.

The point is to create a system of methods for translating contaminated speech. I want to interview several people who are learning Russian at the moment. I want the interviewees to describe things that are the most difficult for them to understand and pronounce in Russian. It would be also great if you record several sentences in Russian that I write to you. I will not state your name in the research if you want. Everything will be anonymous. It would be really great if you help me.

If you wish I can help you with Russian, explain this or that rule because I am M.A. in Linguistics and Translation.

Thank you very much.

You'd better create a separate thread so that your request were not buried here (write russian in the title so that other people know what language you're talking about)
That request reminds me the recent amusing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZh8ftlrL9U (his parisian french accent is very good, a little caricatural as there are still people who work on their accent to reduce it...)
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:02 am

MamaPata wrote:
Radioclare wrote:
MamaPata wrote:

Haha, yes of course. I had to fiddle around with them for ages to get it to work!

Hopefully visible in the attachment. It may not be the best option but it works for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Alekseitranslator
Languages: Russian (N), English, German

Postby Alekseitranslator » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Arnaud wrote:You'd better create a separate thread so that your request were not buried here (write russian in the title so that other people know what language you're talking about)
That request reminds me the recent amusing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZh8ftlrL9U (his parisian french accent is very good, a little caricatural as there are still people who work on their accent to reduce it...)

Thank you. I will try it.
0 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:16 pm

MamaPata wrote:Hopefully visible in the attachment. It may not be the best option but it works for me.

Thank you :) :)

I got the wiktionary one working and that's incredibly useful! The second one doesn't work for me for some reason - I get a weird error saying "405 not allowed" - but never mind :lol:
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”